Hi,

I sync my contacts with google through the exchange and I just noted today that a good portion of my thousand or so records are deleted from my phone (but not from the cloud). Also a number of my records, what look like records that I have current text messages with, or who have been saved to favorites in the phone app have been stripped of the name and just display the phone number. Obviously this seems like a syncing issue, but not sure how to get this corrected without deleting the remaining contacts on my phone. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    09-17-2013 03:04 PM
    In the device's mail settings for Google, turn OFF contact syncing. It will ask it you want to delete them from your device. Choose yes. Afterwards, turn contact syncing back on. Your contacts should once again sync to your device. You can also try rebooting your device first to see if the problem fixes itself.
    09-17-2013 03:57 PM
    In the device's mail settings for Google, turn OFF contact syncing. It will ask it you want to delete them from your device. Choose yes. Afterwards, turn contact syncing back on. Your contacts should once again sync to your device. You can also try rebooting your device first to see if the problem fixes itself.
    thanks, but the only thing is this morning I noticed there were contacts on my phone that never synced to the cloud for some reason. Then I started investigating by trying to manually sync in the contacts app and it seemed to wipe my contacts. Do you know why this even happened? Is it a known issue?
    09-17-2013 04:01 PM
    Hey guys, I need some real help here. I tried what was suggested and also tried deleting the account and reestablishing it. Nothing has worked to get all my contacts back. It appears to be a syncing issue. If I go into the groups view of my contacts app (a screenshot which I attached) I don't see my gmail contacts under 'on my phone'. I believe it is supposed to be there. Also if I click on gmail global address list and try to search for a name it yields a failed search. Anyone have the slightest idea what is going on here?Deleted contacts-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1379463354.082762.jpg
    09-17-2013 08:16 PM
    Have you tried syncing your Google contacts via CardDav?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077
    09-17-2013 08:53 PM
    Have you tried syncing your Google contacts via CardDav?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077
    Yes and it was getting stuck on the 'verifying' screen. I waited for a good 5 minutes twice and nothing!
    09-17-2013 08:56 PM
    Yes and it was getting stuck on the 'verifying' screen. I waited for a good 5 minutes twice and nothing!
    Do you have 2-step verification enabled? I Don't have over a thousand contacts like you, so the 100 or so I have via my Google account gets synced both way and I use the regular Gmail setup. Even when I had it set up via exchange prior to January 31st, contact syncing was never an issue, but again, I have a fraction of that amount you have.
    09-17-2013 09:00 PM
    Do you have 2-step verification enabled? I Don't have over a thousand contacts like you, so the 100 or so I have via my Google account gets synced both way and I use the regular Gmail setup. Even when I had it set up via exchange prior to January 31st, contact syncing was never an issue, but again, I have a fraction of that amount you have.
    I am not sure, how do I check that?
    09-17-2013 09:04 PM
    Also, if there is any connection, all of my Facebook contacts do not seem to be syncing in either.
    09-17-2013 09:05 PM
    I am not sure, how do I check that?
    If you enabled 2-step authentication, you would know because you would have to manually set it up.

Also, if there is any connection, all of my Facebook contacts do not seem to be syncing in either.
    I'm not a Facebook user so I can't advise. It is possible, I suppose that it's prepping for iOS 7, but I'm only guessing.

I'm trying to find something that will help your situation via the following link, but so far I haven't found anything, but I'm not there to see what you see so maybe you may find something that stands out for you.

https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/139635?hl=en
    09-17-2013 09:10 PM
    Thanks! Are there any screenshots I can take that will help you? This is the most bizarre thing. I am pretty technically savvy too!
    09-17-2013 09:12 PM
    Thanks! Are there any screenshots I can take that will help you? This is the most bizarre thing. I am pretty technically savvy too!
    No, no screenshots are necessary. You tried CardDav but it kept getting stuck verifying. Do me a favor. Can you use the official Gmail app to access your gmail? if so, can you get it from the app store and install it and then see if you can access all of your contacts from within the app? I'm just curious.
    09-17-2013 09:17 PM
    No, no screenshots are necessary. You tried CardDav but it kept getting stuck verifying. Do me a favor. Can you use the official Gmail app to access your gmail? if so, can you get it from the app store and install it and then see if you can access all of your contacts from within the app? I'm just curious.
    I tried that too. The gmail app does not let you access your contacts, only email.
    09-17-2013 09:23 PM
    This is one reason why I switched from google since they no longer support exchange .. Another option is for you to export your contacts on a computer in gmail and import them into your iCloud and sync with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:25 PM
    I tried that too. The gmail app does not let you access your contacts, only email.
    ​Dang it...Well, I suppose we have more reading to do, huh?

UPDATE: I wonder why CardDav sync gets stuck on verifying? It should work! While thinking about it and Googling it, I found this interesting tidbit. I'm not sure it applies to you, but hey, it's worth a try, I suppose.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    csal80 likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:26 PM
    ​Dang it...Well, I suppose we have more reading to do, huh?

UPDATE: I wonder why CardDav sync gets stuck on verifying? It should work! While thinking about it and Googling it, I found this interesting tidbit. I'm not sure it applies to you, but hey, it's worth a try, I suppose.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    You are awesome. I hope you get paid for this!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:32 PM
    You are awesome. I hope you get paid for this!
    Try here also maybe it will help http://www.redmondpie.com/set-up-car...hout-exchange/

csal80 likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:34 PM
    Try here also maybe it will help Set Up CardDAV On iPhone To Sync Google / Gmail Contacts Without Exchange | Redmond Pie

Dude you the man! Know what the problem was with CardDav initially? I was entering m.google.com instead of google.com. All set now!
    09-17-2013 10:07 PM
    Dude you the man! Know what the problem was with CardDav initially? I was entering m.google.com instead of google.com. All set now!
    Glad you got it working ! That is why we are here

09-17-2013 10:08 PM