My take on a bigger screen

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You are correct, you did not say they were insignificant. You chose to refer to the people desiring larger screened iphones as a "niche of people". I mistook that to equate to a small amount of people.

Perhaps I am confused by my own posts. It has been known to happen.

I see now why you were confused about my posts...I never said small group, I was referencing the group as a niche, meaning "coming" smaller market...and it is smaller than the group that are happy with the existing screen (otherwise we'd have a bigger iPhone), this is probably why you kept thinking I was calling it insignificant, which was not my intent, my intent was to call it smaller than those who want the existing size.

I love you. :beer:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Where are you getting those numbers? I never mentioned %...i based my side of the debate on the simple fact that we still have this size iPhone, referring to the group that wanted the larger screen as a niche market...I'm curious though, do you understand what "niche" means? You guys keep talking numbers, and referring to me as if I'm calling any certain group by number, and I haven't done that, I simply said those who want the existing size is a bigger (and more controlling) group.

Niche is a SMALL part of a market or group. And even though it is probably true, you are actually assuming that the majority of iPhone owners want a smaller screen, just because that is what Apple produces. Apple went to a larger screen, and look at how many people bought it. And another bigger screen will probably yield much better results than the 4-inch screen. And I said a POSSIBLE 20-30%, which is guessing on my part, but no more than you assuming the other direction.
But, as I said, I'll agree to disagree. Time will tell all.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I see now why you were confused about my posts...I never said small group, I was referencing the group as a niche, meaning "coming" smaller market...and it is smaller than the group that are happy with the existing screen (otherwise we'd have a bigger iPhone), this is probably why you kept thinking I was calling it insignificant, which was not my intent, my intent was to call it smaller than those who want the existing size.

I also read "niche" as a small group, thus my confusion. Sorry.:)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Lol my bad. I was all over the place and lost sight if I was coming or going. I'm with ya :beer:

I just need tomorrow to get here.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've said this before and been shot down for it, but I still believe it: iOS is not designed well for one handed use. Yes, the iPhone is designed for one handed use, but by making the screen small enough to reach all corners with your thumb. That is even shown in an iPhone ad.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've said this before and been shot down for it, but I still believe it: iOS is not designed well for one handed use. Yes, the iPhone is designed for one handed use, but by making the screen small enough to reach all corners with your thumb. That is even shown in an iPhone ad.
What do you base iOS not being designed for one-handed use on? I see your point about the iPhone hardware
being designed for one-handed use. That is clear. Heck, Apple makes a point of it. But what about iOS makes
you say it's not designed for one-handed use?

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What do you base iOS not being designed for one-handed use on? I see your point about the iPhone hardware
being designed for one-handed use. That is clear. Heck, Apple makes a point of it. But what about iOS makes
you say it's not designed for one-handed use?

Prompts & navigation buttons are at the top. The back button is even at the top LEFT! And icons start in the top left corner. That's why I believe that the extent of one-handed design was to make it small rather than putting the most used buttons at the bottom.

I use an iPhone 5, a Nexus 4, and a WP of some kind or other all side-by-side (see my signature), so it's hard for me not to compare the OS's. Android's navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed wherever you wish. I find it just as easy to use my 4.7" Android as my 4" iPhone 5 one-handed.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Prompts & navigation buttons are at the top. The back button is even at the top LEFT! And icons start in the top left corner. That's why I believe that the extent of one-handed design was to make it small rather than putting the most used buttons at the bottom.

I use an iPhone 5, a Nexus 4, and a WP of some kind or other all side-by-side (see my signature), so it's hard for me not to compare the OS's. Android's navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed wherever you wish. I find it just as easy to use my 4.7" Android as my 4" iPhone 5 one-handed.

Exactly this. Ios in its current form will not fit into Apples one handed use **** argument because they have not made ios for one handed use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just can't understand what is actually wrong with Apple giving customers the choice of a larger screen? You have more options when contemplating a purchase of a Rolls Royce than you do for an iPhone. Samsung has at least 3 options that are bigger than the iPhone with the Note 3 due soon and BlackBerry have just announced the 5" Z30.
I'm not saying that they should abandon the current screen size, but there should be at least one more option of screen size that is bigger than the current.
Another aspect that has not been mentioned is the deteriorating near vision of people in middle age like myself. Reading small characters becomes more difficult and it find it especially so when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I use reading specs at work, but I wouldn't want to have to be putting them on every time I need to use the phone. A big phone like the Note 3 would be too big for me, but there is a demand and it will sell. The fact is that the iPhone has the smallest screen in it's class.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I just can't understand what is actually wrong with Apple giving customers the choice of a larger screen? You have more options when contemplating a purchase of a Rolls Royce than you do for an iPhone. Samsung has at least 3 options that are bigger than the iPhone with the Note 3 due soon and BlackBerry have just announced the 5" Z30.
I'm not saying that they should abandon the current screen size, but there should be at least one more option of screen size that is bigger than the current.
Another aspect that has not been mentioned is the deteriorating near vision of people in middle age like myself. Reading small characters becomes more difficult and it find it especially so when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I use reading specs at work, but I wouldn't want to have to be putting them on every time I need to use the phone. A big phone like the Note 3 would be too big for me, but there is a demand and it will sell. The fact is that the iPhone has the smallest screen in it's class.

With the 5c in the lineup, I can envision Apple keeping the smaller-screen phone as it's midrange option then having a larger-screen iPhone as the flagship device. Just my 2 cents.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73