My take on a bigger screen

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I want to know how it is such a given that the vast numbers of iphones sold are strictly due to its still smaller screen size. There are so many factors aside from that. There are those who buy it simply for the brand, simply due to IOS, simply due to comfortability and 'what they know', etc. I think it is a little far fetched to suggest it is common sense that the vast majority only want the smaller screen. This sentiment seems to be voiced the most by those who 'are' comfortable with the current screen size.

I am not suggesting that Apple 'has' to make a larger screen. They don't 'have' to do anything. But I am pretty sure if they begin contemplating a larger screen size, it is because the marketing and research teams have deemed it a wise choice. I see folks I know every week leaving iphone for android. Small sample size? Certainly. But, it's not just them. And the reason they leave is almost never because they crave android. They aren't phone geeks. They don't care about that. They leave for the larger screen that lets them better view web content, videos, movies, games, etc. I don't have any links to give you or special scientific backing behind my claims. It's purely based on what I read and what I see. And that is, more people seem to be jumping ship now than ever. Even if it isn't a majority.....yet.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple needs to make all of their phone screens 1080P, then size isn't an issue, everything for iPhone is developed for 1080P. Before any Android or Blackberry users that "settled" on a 720 screen say that you can't tell the difference, well, you're wrong. You can. Compare any 720 screened phone to an HTC One. One wins hands down.

There is a limit, and I think that 6" goes beyond it.

I think 4.7" is it. But I also haven't played with a 5 inch screen phone yet. I think the Notes are ridiculous. You also mentioned in another post about Android users that went Android solely for the screen size. I have a house full of Apple computers, iPod Nanos, two iPads, and an ATV, but not an iPhone in sight. That would change my friend, the very day that Apple releases a 4.5-4.7" (or 5" maybe) iPhone.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple moved all its product releases from spring to fall in 2013 leaving room for brand new products for spring of 2014 and thereafter. Make sense to have bigger phone with brand new name as well as apple watch released in this timeframe.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple moved all its product releases from spring to fall in 2013 leaving room for brand new products for spring of 2014 and thereafter. Make sense to have bigger phone with brand new name as well as apple watch released in this timeframe.

Very doubtful that an imagined "spring release" had anything do to with it. It was more a move to get the new products out in time for the Christmas/holiday shopping season. New, bigger iPhone in the spring? Extremely unlikely.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I want to know how it is such a given that the vast numbers of iphones sold are strictly due to its still smaller screen size. There are so many factors aside from that. There are those who buy it simply for the brand, simply due to IOS, simply due to comfortability and 'what they know', etc. I think it is a little far fetched to suggest it is common sense that the vast majority only want the smaller screen. This sentiment seems to be voiced the most by those who 'are' comfortable with the current screen size.

I am not suggesting that Apple 'has' to make a larger screen. They don't 'have' to do anything. But I am pretty sure if they begin contemplating a larger screen size, it is because the marketing and research teams have deemed it a wise choice. I see folks I know every week leaving iphone for android. Small sample size? Certainly. But, it's not just them. And the reason they leave is almost never because they crave android. They aren't phone geeks. They don't care about that. They leave for the larger screen that lets them better view web content, videos, movies, games, etc. I don't have any links to give you or special scientific backing behind my claims. It's purely based on what I read and what I see. And that is, more people seem to be jumping ship now than ever. Even if it isn't a majority.....yet.

It's a given because that is still the size of the iPhone...you answered your own question with the first part of the second paragraph. Apple spends more money than we can probably even imagine on market research...and if the market demands something Apple can do while retaining what is expected of them, then that is what we'll get. A larger screen isn't difficult, which makes it clear that so far, it hasn't been a demand vs. the existing size.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh I don't know about that. If they felt that larger screens were not necessary they never would have left 3.5". They increased to 4" because of the increased demand for it. And now, the chatter is they will increase again. And while it is merely that, chatter, I believe it will increase again in 2014. I may be wrong and if so I'm not out anything. But Apple seems to be doing a lot of things of late that folks never thought they'd do.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You can't base it on the sales of existing iPhones, and say that because of that, then people don't want a larger screen, because they have never had a large screen iPhone to choose. I am using a 5, but if Apple came out with a 4.5 to 4.8-inch iPhone, I would go to it in a New York minute, as long as it was also wider, not just taller. The Moto X has proven that one-handed use is possible with a 4.7 screen, due to the smaller form factor. I believe that literally millions of current iPhone owners would go to the larger screen, if Apple provided the opportunity. Also, there would be a ton of Android converts.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh I don't know about that. If they felt that larger screens were not necessary they never would have left 3.5". They increased to 4" because of the increased demand for it. And now, the chatter is they will increase again. And while it is merely that, chatter, I believe it will increase again in 2014. I may be wrong and if so I'm not out anything. But Apple seems to be doing a lot of things of late that folks never thought they'd do.

Are you going to continue to disagree with me then make my same identical points? lol...you just said exactly what I said about following the market demand.

You can't base it on the sales of existing iPhones, and say that because of that, then people don't want a larger screen, because they have never had a large screen iPhone to choose. I am using a 5, but if Apple came out with a 4.5 to 4.8-inch iPhone, I would go to it in a New York minute, as long as it was also wider, not just taller. The Moto X has proven that one-handed use is possible with a 4.7 screen, due to the smaller form factor. I believe that literally millions of current iPhone owners would go to the larger screen, if Apple provided the opportunity. Also, there would be a ton of Android converts.

So I can't base my argument on proof and logic, but you CAN base your argument on assumptions? Makes sense...lol.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you going to continue to disagree with me then make my same identical points? lol...you just said exactly what I said about following the market demand.

So I can't base my argument on proof and logic, but you CAN base your argument on assumptions? Makes sense...lol.

The only proof in your argument is that Apple only makes iPhones with smaller screens, and you are assuming what their research is telling them. This is all that they have ever made, so that is the only choice that is available for anyone that wants an iPhone. So the market is leaning to the bigger screen Androids. So, you are assuming that there is not much demand for a larger screen iPhone, and I am assuming that there is a demand. I will stand on my assumption that a larger screen would sell, and sell in HUGE numbers to current and future iPhone owners, and current Android owners.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Lol what? I disagree with your premise that the people who want the tiny screens are this minute percentage. I said right off the bat that there are numerous factors that can lead a person to the iPhone, factors that have nothing to do with screen size. Simply using an iPhone does not automatically mean they prefer the small screen. They may prefer IOS, or the App Store, or the brand as I said before. And since Apple only offers the sizes they do, they go with it. And while it's true that Apple spends countless dollars on research to back what they do, it's apparently leading them to see that a desire for larger screens is there. So if I'm making identical points for you then great. But no, I don't at all believe the numbers desiring a larger screen are insignificant. At all. It's evident in the blogs, the tech sites, the forums....hell Wozniak himself. Not an illusion.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
" Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone."

Speaking of assumptions...........lol

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I find myself going back and forth with the size issue. I really like bigger screens for multimedia purposes. But I would much rather have a screen like the current iPhone 5 for everything else. Typing on my iPhone 5 is a dream. Typing on anything bigger has not yielded the same results. I think that because the keyboard is slightly smaller that I am more efficient and faster with my keystrokes. I feel that I type slower when I use an oversized phone. Portability is another reason that unlike the smaller screen size. I like to be able to comfortably carry my phone around. It needs to be able to fit in the cup holder in my car. And I have to be able to keep it in my hand easily when I'm jogging. I really enjoy the smaller form factor of the iPhone 5. Maybe if hey made really good Android phones that size I would like them more. The Nexus S had a 4 inch screen and it was one of my favorite Android devices I had ever owned.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Lol what? I disagree with your premise that the people who want the tiny screens are this minute percentage. I said right off the bat that there are numerous factors that can lead a person to the iPhone, factors that have nothing to do with screen size. Simply using an iPhone does not automatically mean they prefer the small screen. They may prefer IOS, or the App Store, or the brand as I said before. And since Apple only offers the sizes they do, they go with it. And while it's true that Apple spends countless dollars on research to back what they do, it's apparently leading them to see that a desire for larger screens is there. So if I'm making identical points for you then great. But no, I don't at all believe the numbers desiring a larger screen are insignificant. At all. It's evident in the blogs, the tech sites, the forums....hell Wozniak himself. Not an illusion.

I never said they were insignificant...i said the other side of the fence was a larger %. And you reflected my comments about market research in two different responses...are you confused by your own posts?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only proof in your argument is that Apple only makes iPhones with smaller screens, and you are assuming what their research is telling them. This is all that they have ever made, so that is the only choice that is available for anyone that wants an iPhone. So the market is leaning to the bigger screen Androids. So, you are assuming that there is not much demand for a larger screen iPhone, and I am assuming that there is a demand. I will stand on my assumption that a larger screen would sell, and sell in HUGE numbers to current and future iPhone owners, and current Android owners.

The proof is right in front of you...a 4" iPhone instead of one that is the same size as the competition. No assuming about that at all. Just curious though, let's say that i was just assuming this, how is your assumption any more or less legitimate than my own? You seem to be trying to correct my course of thought with your own, but why? According to you, they're both just assumptions...lol.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
" According to you, they're both just assumptions"

That's correct. Just because Apple hasn't released something doesn't mean that the people don't want it. For example, quick reply on sms. I would bet the house that an overwhelming majority of iPhone owners want this, but Apple has not implemented it.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I really have mixed feelings about this. I came from a 4.5 inch android phone (sprint gs2) I liked the screen size but getting to the top bar did get annoying at times. It was when my girlfriend got her moto razr m that I wanted a smaller phone because that phone just felt awesome. However, I ended up with the iPhone because I wanted something more stable. I did have to get adjusted to the small screen on the i5, but it wasn't really bad at all. Most of the fonts are actually a bit bigger than on most android phones so it was readable even for my bad eyes. I do miss the bigger screen though, but at the same time I like the easy one handed use.

Honestly though, the razr m my girlfriend had, had a 4.3 inch screen and her phone was almost the exact same size as my i5. I think apple could easily make. 4.3-4.5 with the same aspect ratio and keep the phone at almost the exact same size. Add some new gestures like webos had (particularly the app switching and way of going back and forth in a page) and that would make it even easier. Honestly the razr m had the perfect screen size so I hope apple will one day go to that. At that point it would be appropriate to possible go to a 720p resolution to keep up the same ppi, although it is probably not needed.... I'm sorry, the whole 1080p phone screen thing drives me crazy. Why do you need the same resolution on your phone as your tv! I get it on larger tablets and laptops but on a phone? Even at 5 inches the screen is way smaller than an a tablet or TV! I feel like its a large waste of money and resources to make a resolution much higher than needed. I heard an lg phone wants to go double 720p.... Seriously?? Why? Who needs that?? Anyway, as far as the iPhones sizes for devs go. I think this is the last year of 3.5 inch screens, although I don't think its the screen sizes that are a problem for devs, I think its resolutions and this is probably the last year of 640x960 and 728x1048 for Iproducts.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
" According to you, they're both just assumptions"

That's correct. Just because Apple hasn't released something doesn't mean that the people don't want it. For example, quick reply on sms. I would bet the house that an overwhelming majority of iPhone owners want this, but Apple has not implemented it.

But you see...I never said "people don't want it"...I quite clearly said that we have the size iPhone we have because that is what the majority if the consumer base that buy iPhone's have shown interest in, and that if that base ever moves towards a larger screen, then we will probably get it, but it's not going to be this time...and it won't be until the majority wants it, not the niche.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I never said they were insignificant...i said the other side of the fence was a larger %. And you reflected my comments about market research in two different responses...are you confused by your own posts?

You are correct, you did not say they were insignificant. You chose to refer to the people desiring larger screened iphones as a "niche of people". I mistook that to equate to a small amount of people.

Perhaps I am confused by my own posts. It has been known to happen.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So a possible 20-30% of iPhone owners is a "niche"?
All that we can do is agree to disagree.

Where are you getting those numbers? I never mentioned %...i based my side of the debate on the simple fact that we still have this size iPhone, referring to the group that wanted the larger screen as a niche market...I'm curious though, do you understand what "niche" means? You guys keep talking numbers, and referring to me as if I'm calling any certain group by number, and I haven't done that, I simply said those who want the existing size is a bigger (and more controlling) group.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh