" Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone."

Speaking of assumptions...........lol
    09-08-2013 11:05 PM
    I find myself going back and forth with the size issue. I really like bigger screens for multimedia purposes. But I would much rather have a screen like the current iPhone 5 for everything else. Typing on my iPhone 5 is a dream. Typing on anything bigger has not yielded the same results. I think that because the keyboard is slightly smaller that I am more efficient and faster with my keystrokes. I feel that I type slower when I use an oversized phone. Portability is another reason that unlike the smaller screen size. I like to be able to comfortably carry my phone around. It needs to be able to fit in the cup holder in my car. And I have to be able to keep it in my hand easily when I'm jogging. I really enjoy the smaller form factor of the iPhone 5. Maybe if hey made really good Android phones that size I would like them more. The Nexus S had a 4 inch screen and it was one of my favorite Android devices I had ever owned.
    09-08-2013 11:08 PM
    Lol what? I disagree with your premise that the people who want the tiny screens are this minute percentage. I said right off the bat that there are numerous factors that can lead a person to the iPhone, factors that have nothing to do with screen size. Simply using an iPhone does not automatically mean they prefer the small screen. They may prefer IOS, or the App Store, or the brand as I said before. And since Apple only offers the sizes they do, they go with it. And while it's true that Apple spends countless dollars on research to back what they do, it's apparently leading them to see that a desire for larger screens is there. So if I'm making identical points for you then great. But no, I don't at all believe the numbers desiring a larger screen are insignificant. At all. It's evident in the blogs, the tech sites, the forums....hell Wozniak himself. Not an illusion.
    I never said they were insignificant...i said the other side of the fence was a larger %. And you reflected my comments about market research in two different responses...are you confused by your own posts?
    09-08-2013 11:34 PM
    The only proof in your argument is that Apple only makes iPhones with smaller screens, and you are assuming what their research is telling them. This is all that they have ever made, so that is the only choice that is available for anyone that wants an iPhone. So the market is leaning to the bigger screen Androids. So, you are assuming that there is not much demand for a larger screen iPhone, and I am assuming that there is a demand. I will stand on my assumption that a larger screen would sell, and sell in HUGE numbers to current and future iPhone owners, and current Android owners.
    The proof is right in front of you...a 4" iPhone instead of one that is the same size as the competition. No assuming about that at all. Just curious though, let's say that i was just assuming this, how is your assumption any more or less legitimate than my own? You seem to be trying to correct my course of thought with your own, but why? According to you, they're both just assumptions...lol.
    09-08-2013 11:36 PM
    " According to you, they're both just assumptions"

That's correct. Just because Apple hasn't released something doesn't mean that the people don't want it. For example, quick reply on sms. I would bet the house that an overwhelming majority of iPhone owners want this, but Apple has not implemented it.
    09-08-2013 11:46 PM
    I really have mixed feelings about this. I came from a 4.5 inch android phone (sprint gs2) I liked the screen size but getting to the top bar did get annoying at times. It was when my girlfriend got her moto razr m that I wanted a smaller phone because that phone just felt awesome. However, I ended up with the iPhone because I wanted something more stable. I did have to get adjusted to the small screen on the i5, but it wasn't really bad at all. Most of the fonts are actually a bit bigger than on most android phones so it was readable even for my bad eyes. I do miss the bigger screen though, but at the same time I like the easy one handed use.

Honestly though, the razr m my girlfriend had, had a 4.3 inch screen and her phone was almost the exact same size as my i5. I think apple could easily make. 4.3-4.5 with the same aspect ratio and keep the phone at almost the exact same size. Add some new gestures like webos had (particularly the app switching and way of going back and forth in a page) and that would make it even easier. Honestly the razr m had the perfect screen size so I hope apple will one day go to that. At that point it would be appropriate to possible go to a 720p resolution to keep up the same ppi, although it is probably not needed.... I'm sorry, the whole 1080p phone screen thing drives me crazy. Why do you need the same resolution on your phone as your tv! I get it on larger tablets and laptops but on a phone? Even at 5 inches the screen is way smaller than an a tablet or TV! I feel like its a large waste of money and resources to make a resolution much higher than needed. I heard an lg phone wants to go double 720p.... Seriously?? Why? Who needs that?? Anyway, as far as the iPhones sizes for devs go. I think this is the last year of 3.5 inch screens, although I don't think its the screen sizes that are a problem for devs, I think its resolutions and this is probably the last year of 640x960 and 728x1048 for Iproducts.
    09-09-2013 03:30 AM
    " According to you, they're both just assumptions"

That's correct. Just because Apple hasn't released something doesn't mean that the people don't want it. For example, quick reply on sms. I would bet the house that an overwhelming majority of iPhone owners want this, but Apple has not implemented it.
    But you see...I never said "people don't want it"...I quite clearly said that we have the size iPhone we have because that is what the majority if the consumer base that buy iPhone's have shown interest in, and that if that base ever moves towards a larger screen, then we will probably get it, but it's not going to be this time...and it won't be until the majority wants it, not the niche.
    09-09-2013 07:57 AM
    So a possible 20-30% of iPhone owners is a "niche"?
    All that we can do is agree to disagree.
    09-09-2013 08:06 AM
    I never said they were insignificant...i said the other side of the fence was a larger %. And you reflected my comments about market research in two different responses...are you confused by your own posts?
    You are correct, you did not say they were insignificant. You chose to refer to the people desiring larger screened iphones as a "niche of people". I mistook that to equate to a small amount of people.

Perhaps I am confused by my own posts. It has been known to happen.
    09-09-2013 08:42 AM
    So a possible 20-30% of iPhone owners is a "niche"?
    All that we can do is agree to disagree.
    Where are you getting those numbers? I never mentioned %...i based my side of the debate on the simple fact that we still have this size iPhone, referring to the group that wanted the larger screen as a niche market...I'm curious though, do you understand what "niche" means? You guys keep talking numbers, and referring to me as if I'm calling any certain group by number, and I haven't done that, I simply said those who want the existing size is a bigger (and more controlling) group.
    09-09-2013 01:55 PM
    You are correct, you did not say they were insignificant. You chose to refer to the people desiring larger screened iphones as a "niche of people". I mistook that to equate to a small amount of people.

Perhaps I am confused by my own posts. It has been known to happen.
    I see now why you were confused about my posts...I never said small group, I was referencing the group as a niche, meaning "coming" smaller market...and it is smaller than the group that are happy with the existing screen (otherwise we'd have a bigger iPhone), this is probably why you kept thinking I was calling it insignificant, which was not my intent, my intent was to call it smaller than those who want the existing size.

I love you.
    09-09-2013 01:56 PM
    Where are you getting those numbers? I never mentioned %...i based my side of the debate on the simple fact that we still have this size iPhone, referring to the group that wanted the larger screen as a niche market...I'm curious though, do you understand what "niche" means? You guys keep talking numbers, and referring to me as if I'm calling any certain group by number, and I haven't done that, I simply said those who want the existing size is a bigger (and more controlling) group.
    Niche is a SMALL part of a market or group. And even though it is probably true, you are actually assuming that the majority of iPhone owners want a smaller screen, just because that is what Apple produces. Apple went to a larger screen, and look at how many people bought it. And another bigger screen will probably yield much better results than the 4-inch screen. And I said a POSSIBLE 20-30%, which is guessing on my part, but no more than you assuming the other direction.
    But, as I said, I'll agree to disagree. Time will tell all.
    09-09-2013 02:15 PM
    I see now why you were confused about my posts...I never said small group, I was referencing the group as a niche, meaning "coming" smaller market...and it is smaller than the group that are happy with the existing screen (otherwise we'd have a bigger iPhone), this is probably why you kept thinking I was calling it insignificant, which was not my intent, my intent was to call it smaller than those who want the existing size.

I love you.
    I also read "niche" as a small group, thus my confusion. Sorry.
    09-09-2013 02:52 PM

I love you.
    Lol my bad. I was all over the place and lost sight if I was coming or going. I'm with ya

I just need tomorrow to get here.
    09-09-2013 03:59 PM
    I've said this before and been shot down for it, but I still believe it: iOS is not designed well for one handed use. Yes, the iPhone is designed for one handed use, but by making the screen small enough to reach all corners with your thumb. That is even shown in an iPhone ad.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-09-2013 04:20 PM
    I've said this before and been shot down for it, but I still believe it: iOS is not designed well for one handed use. Yes, the iPhone is designed for one handed use, but by making the screen small enough to reach all corners with your thumb. That is even shown in an iPhone ad.
    What do you base iOS not being designed for one-handed use on? I see your point about the iPhone hardware
    being designed for one-handed use. That is clear. Heck, Apple makes a point of it. But what about iOS makes
    you say it's not designed for one-handed use?
    09-09-2013 04:35 PM
    What do you base iOS not being designed for one-handed use on? I see your point about the iPhone hardware
    being designed for one-handed use. That is clear. Heck, Apple makes a point of it. But what about iOS makes
    you say it's not designed for one-handed use?
    Prompts & navigation buttons are at the top. The back button is even at the top LEFT! And icons start in the top left corner. That's why I believe that the extent of one-handed design was to make it small rather than putting the most used buttons at the bottom.

I use an iPhone 5, a Nexus 4, and a WP of some kind or other all side-by-side (see my signature), so it's hard for me not to compare the OS's. Android's navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed wherever you wish. I find it just as easy to use my 4.7" Android as my 4" iPhone 5 one-handed.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-09-2013 04:49 PM
    Prompts & navigation buttons are at the top. The back button is even at the top LEFT! And icons start in the top left corner. That's why I believe that the extent of one-handed design was to make it small rather than putting the most used buttons at the bottom.

I use an iPhone 5, a Nexus 4, and a WP of some kind or other all side-by-side (see my signature), so it's hard for me not to compare the OS's. Android's navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed wherever you wish. I find it just as easy to use my 4.7" Android as my 4" iPhone 5 one-handed.
    Exactly this. Ios in its current form will not fit into Apples one handed use **** argument because they have not made ios for one handed use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-12-2013 02:03 AM
    I just can't understand what is actually wrong with Apple giving customers the choice of a larger screen? You have more options when contemplating a purchase of a Rolls Royce than you do for an iPhone. Samsung has at least 3 options that are bigger than the iPhone with the Note 3 due soon and BlackBerry have just announced the 5" Z30.
    I'm not saying that they should abandon the current screen size, but there should be at least one more option of screen size that is bigger than the current.
    Another aspect that has not been mentioned is the deteriorating near vision of people in middle age like myself. Reading small characters becomes more difficult and it find it especially so when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I use reading specs at work, but I wouldn't want to have to be putting them on every time I need to use the phone. A big phone like the Note 3 would be too big for me, but there is a demand and it will sell. The fact is that the iPhone has the smallest screen in it's class.
    09-20-2013 03:14 PM
    I just can't understand what is actually wrong with Apple giving customers the choice of a larger screen? You have more options when contemplating a purchase of a Rolls Royce than you do for an iPhone. Samsung has at least 3 options that are bigger than the iPhone with the Note 3 due soon and BlackBerry have just announced the 5" Z30.
    I'm not saying that they should abandon the current screen size, but there should be at least one more option of screen size that is bigger than the current.
    Another aspect that has not been mentioned is the deteriorating near vision of people in middle age like myself. Reading small characters becomes more difficult and it find it especially so when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I use reading specs at work, but I wouldn't want to have to be putting them on every time I need to use the phone. A big phone like the Note 3 would be too big for me, but there is a demand and it will sell. The fact is that the iPhone has the smallest screen in it's class.
    With the 5c in the lineup, I can envision Apple keeping the smaller-screen phone as it's midrange option then having a larger-screen iPhone as the flagship device. Just my 2 cents.
    anon5664829 and YorkieRay like this.
    09-20-2013 08:22 PM
70 123