I think now with the introduction of the iPhone 5c it's more plausible that we would see a screen size increase next year as they could keep the 4" size for the budget model then increase the size of the main iPhone premium model so for iPhone 6 I could see a jump to 4.3 or 4.5". I really hope nothing bigger though cause the freaking Note 3 is freakishly huge actually take that back the Galaxy Mega 6.3 is freakishly huge!

Like pappy referred to having two different sized iPhones I completely agree, with the kick off of this year being the first time they release two iPhones next year could be that jump in screen size but at this time it's just not feasible. Sean has a solid point as well even with all the big screened Android devices being released for the past 4 years the iPhone's steam hasn't slowed at all during launch even vastly outpacing the sales of those Android phones combined without seeing a screen size increase until 2012 so until millions upon millions of people flock from iOS because of the "stubbornness" of Apple to not follow the "trends" and release a bigger iPhone I think we'll see the 4" 5S and 5C shatter the records set by the iPhone 5.
    We've been agreeing a lot lately.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-07-2013 07:42 AM
    1. Don't believe what Apple tells you. It isn't difficult to operate a 4.7" phone.
    2. Choice is always good.
    C'mon! don't be judgemental about anything.
    i have tried using galaxy phones and nexus 4. but those are really big phones for ME.
    even if apple comes out with a bigger phone i would stay at 4 inches as this is the perfect size for ME. since early 2000s i have used phones with one hand only be it Nokia, blackberry or iPhone. the only time I use 2 hand operation on a touch screen is when i use a tablet.
    09-07-2013 07:51 AM
    C'mon! don't be judgemental about anything.
    i have tried using galaxy phones and nexus 4. but those are really big phones for ME.
    even if apple comes out with a bigger phone i would stay at 4 inches as this is the perfect size for ME. since early 2000s i have used phones with one hand only be it Nokia, blackberry or iPhone. the only time I use 2 hand operation on a touch screen is when i use a tablet.
    What's wrong with choice then?

09-07-2013 08:06 AM
    We've been agreeing a lot lately.....

Haha seems like we have 😃

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    09-07-2013 08:20 AM
    What's wrong with choice then?

Nothing is wrong with choice. You have a plethora of phones from several different companies that cover the size spectrum from tiny to enormous.

Maybe Apple will release a larger iPhone eventually, I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't if demand continues to rise for such. But at the same time, while you guys ask what is wrong with choice, I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market? Car companies used to do this too...and it nearly bankrupted many of them...I doubt it would ever get that bad for Apple over a handful of potential devices, but for a company that has maintained a pretty staggeringly high customer satisfaction rating, Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone. (Edit...this last part was silly for me to put, but I'll leave it for continuity, that was just me talking out of my ***).
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 09-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-07-2013 10:36 AM
    @SeanHRCC--" I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market?"

I don't think that it is a small portion of the market. I believe that if Apple released a bigger screen phone that their base would increase by 10-20%. That is not a small portion. Android jumpers would be a lot of people, as a lot of people went Android solely for the screen.

"Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone."

That is hogwash, IMO. Unless you have talked to the higher-ups at Apple. IMHO, this "niche" of customers would be a huge part of Apple's customer base in less than one year after the release of the bigger screen.
    Last edited by pappy53; 09-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Mr.Willie and OTACORB like this.
    09-07-2013 12:28 PM
    09-07-2013 12:30 PM
    There is a limit, and I think that 6" goes beyond it.
    09-07-2013 12:51 PM
    Nothing is wrong with choice. You have a plethora of phones from several different companies that cover the size spectrum from tiny to enormous.

Maybe Apple will release a larger iPhone eventually, I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't if demand continues to rise for such. But at the same time, while you guys ask what is wrong with choice, I ask you what business sense does it make to make a device for a small portion of a market? Car companies used to do this too...and it nearly bankrupted many of them...I doubt it would ever get that bad for Apple over a handful of potential devices, but for a company that has maintained a pretty staggeringly high customer satisfaction rating, Apple knows that the niche of customers demanding a bigger screen are also the same people who are most critical of every little detail on the phone, and will probably NEVER be satisfied, even with a larger iPhone.
    But I don't want a bigger screen phone from other companies because it doesn't run iOS. Time and time again I talk to Android users and many say they would pick up an iPhone if the screen was bigger. I see it all the time.
    09-07-2013 10:03 PM
    I agree, it would be awful
    09-07-2013 10:10 PM
    I predict bigger screen iPhone will come in spring of 2014. It will be 5" device and will not be called iPhone anything.
    09-08-2013 12:08 AM
    I predict bigger screen iPhone will come in spring of 2014. It will be 5" device and will not be called iPhone anything.
    I can see a 6" phablet if your prediction is true more than 5". The iPhone 6 will 4.5-5".
    09-08-2013 04:04 AM
    apple tests every screen size. This is how the iPhone came into existence.
    apple tested a 9.7 inch tablet in 2005 and came out with a 3.5 inch iPhone in 2007. Every tech company tests various devices but only a few of those devices are given to the consumer .
    09-08-2013 04:25 AM
    Why Moto X, you can buy google edition of a one or S4. You can even buy the originals and flash them to stock if you want, and back again.

Apple could release a 5 inch one, and then an iPhone 6 Mini like HTC and Samsung do.
    09-08-2013 08:11 AM
    That would be AWFUL. And their versions aren't even mini
    09-08-2013 08:24 AM
    I want to know how it is such a given that the vast numbers of iphones sold are strictly due to its still smaller screen size. There are so many factors aside from that. There are those who buy it simply for the brand, simply due to IOS, simply due to comfortability and 'what they know', etc. I think it is a little far fetched to suggest it is common sense that the vast majority only want the smaller screen. This sentiment seems to be voiced the most by those who 'are' comfortable with the current screen size.

I am not suggesting that Apple 'has' to make a larger screen. They don't 'have' to do anything. But I am pretty sure if they begin contemplating a larger screen size, it is because the marketing and research teams have deemed it a wise choice. I see folks I know every week leaving iphone for android. Small sample size? Certainly. But, it's not just them. And the reason they leave is almost never because they crave android. They aren't phone geeks. They don't care about that. They leave for the larger screen that lets them better view web content, videos, movies, games, etc. I don't have any links to give you or special scientific backing behind my claims. It's purely based on what I read and what I see. And that is, more people seem to be jumping ship now than ever. Even if it isn't a majority.....yet.
    09-08-2013 10:35 AM
    Apple needs to make all of their phone screens 1080P, then size isn't an issue, everything for iPhone is developed for 1080P. Before any Android or Blackberry users that "settled" on a 720 screen say that you can't tell the difference, well, you're wrong. You can. Compare any 720 screened phone to an HTC One. One wins hands down.

There is a limit, and I think that 6" goes beyond it.
    I think 4.7" is it. But I also haven't played with a 5 inch screen phone yet. I think the Notes are ridiculous. You also mentioned in another post about Android users that went Android solely for the screen size. I have a house full of Apple computers, iPod Nanos, two iPads, and an ATV, but not an iPhone in sight. That would change my friend, the very day that Apple releases a 4.5-4.7" (or 5" maybe) iPhone.
    09-08-2013 11:04 AM
    Apple moved all its product releases from spring to fall in 2013 leaving room for brand new products for spring of 2014 and thereafter. Make sense to have bigger phone with brand new name as well as apple watch released in this timeframe.
    09-08-2013 12:35 PM
    Apple moved all its product releases from spring to fall in 2013 leaving room for brand new products for spring of 2014 and thereafter. Make sense to have bigger phone with brand new name as well as apple watch released in this timeframe.
    Very doubtful that an imagined "spring release" had anything do to with it. It was more a move to get the new products out in time for the Christmas/holiday shopping season. New, bigger iPhone in the spring? Extremely unlikely.
    09-08-2013 05:24 PM
    I want to know how it is such a given that the vast numbers of iphones sold are strictly due to its still smaller screen size. There are so many factors aside from that. There are those who buy it simply for the brand, simply due to IOS, simply due to comfortability and 'what they know', etc. I think it is a little far fetched to suggest it is common sense that the vast majority only want the smaller screen. This sentiment seems to be voiced the most by those who 'are' comfortable with the current screen size.

I am not suggesting that Apple 'has' to make a larger screen. They don't 'have' to do anything. But I am pretty sure if they begin contemplating a larger screen size, it is because the marketing and research teams have deemed it a wise choice. I see folks I know every week leaving iphone for android. Small sample size? Certainly. But, it's not just them. And the reason they leave is almost never because they crave android. They aren't phone geeks. They don't care about that. They leave for the larger screen that lets them better view web content, videos, movies, games, etc. I don't have any links to give you or special scientific backing behind my claims. It's purely based on what I read and what I see. And that is, more people seem to be jumping ship now than ever. Even if it isn't a majority.....yet.
    It's a given because that is still the size of the iPhone...you answered your own question with the first part of the second paragraph. Apple spends more money than we can probably even imagine on market research...and if the market demands something Apple can do while retaining what is expected of them, then that is what we'll get. A larger screen isn't difficult, which makes it clear that so far, it hasn't been a demand vs. the existing size.
    09-08-2013 05:45 PM
    Oh I don't know about that. If they felt that larger screens were not necessary they never would have left 3.5". They increased to 4" because of the increased demand for it. And now, the chatter is they will increase again. And while it is merely that, chatter, I believe it will increase again in 2014. I may be wrong and if so I'm not out anything. But Apple seems to be doing a lot of things of late that folks never thought they'd do.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    09-08-2013 05:52 PM
    You can't base it on the sales of existing iPhones, and say that because of that, then people don't want a larger screen, because they have never had a large screen iPhone to choose. I am using a 5, but if Apple came out with a 4.5 to 4.8-inch iPhone, I would go to it in a New York minute, as long as it was also wider, not just taller. The Moto X has proven that one-handed use is possible with a 4.7 screen, due to the smaller form factor. I believe that literally millions of current iPhone owners would go to the larger screen, if Apple provided the opportunity. Also, there would be a ton of Android converts.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-08-2013 09:54 PM
    Oh I don't know about that. If they felt that larger screens were not necessary they never would have left 3.5". They increased to 4" because of the increased demand for it. And now, the chatter is they will increase again. And while it is merely that, chatter, I believe it will increase again in 2014. I may be wrong and if so I'm not out anything. But Apple seems to be doing a lot of things of late that folks never thought they'd do.
    Are you going to continue to disagree with me then make my same identical points? lol...you just said exactly what I said about following the market demand.

You can't base it on the sales of existing iPhones, and say that because of that, then people don't want a larger screen, because they have never had a large screen iPhone to choose. I am using a 5, but if Apple came out with a 4.5 to 4.8-inch iPhone, I would go to it in a New York minute, as long as it was also wider, not just taller. The Moto X has proven that one-handed use is possible with a 4.7 screen, due to the smaller form factor. I believe that literally millions of current iPhone owners would go to the larger screen, if Apple provided the opportunity. Also, there would be a ton of Android converts.
    So I can't base my argument on proof and logic, but you CAN base your argument on assumptions? Makes sense...lol.
    09-08-2013 10:42 PM
    Are you going to continue to disagree with me then make my same identical points? lol...you just said exactly what I said about following the market demand.

So I can't base my argument on proof and logic, but you CAN base your argument on assumptions? Makes sense...lol.
    The only proof in your argument is that Apple only makes iPhones with smaller screens, and you are assuming what their research is telling them. This is all that they have ever made, so that is the only choice that is available for anyone that wants an iPhone. So the market is leaning to the bigger screen Androids. So, you are assuming that there is not much demand for a larger screen iPhone, and I am assuming that there is a demand. I will stand on my assumption that a larger screen would sell, and sell in HUGE numbers to current and future iPhone owners, and current Android owners.
    09-08-2013 10:57 PM
    Lol what? I disagree with your premise that the people who want the tiny screens are this minute percentage. I said right off the bat that there are numerous factors that can lead a person to the iPhone, factors that have nothing to do with screen size. Simply using an iPhone does not automatically mean they prefer the small screen. They may prefer IOS, or the App Store, or the brand as I said before. And since Apple only offers the sizes they do, they go with it. And while it's true that Apple spends countless dollars on research to back what they do, it's apparently leading them to see that a desire for larger screens is there. So if I'm making identical points for you then great. But no, I don't at all believe the numbers desiring a larger screen are insignificant. At all. It's evident in the blogs, the tech sites, the forums....hell Wozniak himself. Not an illusion.
    dkhmwilliams and anon5664829 like this.
    09-08-2013 10:58 PM
70 123