Has Apple lost its innovation?: Via iMore Blog

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
[h=1]Has Apple lost its innovation?[/h]From reading this article Rene wrote he does bring up some very interesting points to think about and I have mixed emotions about it especially since a month ago the board of Directors have been pushing Tim Cook and his team to come up with more products at a faster rate from the past. What do you think. Is Apple losing it's way?

Has Apple lost its innovation? | iMore

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What defines innovation? It's a broad term and everybody has their own meaning.

To me, no Apple has not been innovative. They have not developed anything in recent years that makes productivity easier. The iPhone and iPad were big deals but since they have just improved upon it. The S-Pen for example is by my definition innovation, it makes productivity easier. The Galaxy smart watch today has potential to be innovative, it makes productivity very easy but at $299 and being limited to very few phones that hurts it very badly.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe that everyone has a different meaning and reason for the word Innovation. I do not think that Apple has lost it's Innovation and we as the public have no idea what INNOVATION'S Apple has on the drawing board and that is the excitement to me and why I will remain with Apple devices. i have said this before and so have many others but MY bottom line Innovation to me means it just works for ME!

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Motorola is. Samsung is.

Motorola is, Samsung.... Not really... I mean I guess they are coming up with new ideas and are innovative that way, but innovation usually refers to creating something that makes things better, and in their case, their creations seem to be either uses less, or cause problems. Look at their android skin! It's the ugliest and least professional looking of them all. Throwing all the things you can think of on a phone isn't innovation. Creating a device with a modest amount of great working new or evolved ideas in a package that just feels right... that's innovation.

I do give moto some props though. They have innovated a lot. Their quick actions, always on voice activation, customized back and awesome designs really give a lot to android and pave the way for Bette phones. Water resistance, Kevlar, awesome battery life are just some of the things that, in a combined package, make moto phones just feel right.

Innovation doesn't always have to be one new idea, it can be evolving old ideas into a new experience that feels better. The original iPhone didn't use that many new ideas at all, it actually just combined a bunch of old ideas and made an innovative experience based on evolved ideas.

With that said, not really sure if apple is innovating right now. I think ios7 is somewhat in the right direction, but they still need to take out the variables people use to make apple seem inferior.

Customization

This is by far the main complaint/excuse for apple hatred or dislike

- default apps (this helps a lot but I know a lot of work will need to be done as this would mean apple would have to allow for third parties to access more types of user info. It still needs to be done though, at least for apps like videos, photos, web browsing, maps and music. Calendar contacts and messages might be the harder ones to crack for security reasons?

- customizable themes: say what you will but androids "customizations" argument is weak. You can change a launcher on android which is all fine and dandy but that's hardly full theme support. You would need cyanogen mod or tmobile theme changer to actually change the theme. Apple could easily make themes a big deal. These could include sounds, animations, and design elements. Obviously apple would want some unity so all designs would have to go through apple for quality (and I'm ok with this, I find the Themes on launchers are fairly limited. Most are just icons of pop culture with minor design elements or are overly detailed.

- color options: take one out of motos book and create more options for the iPhone some new anodized colors, different back materials (Kevlar, wood, leather, rubberized soft material) different colors (based on material) for the new backs and anodized sides,

-different screen sizes (4" at current resolution, 4.3" at 720p, and 4.8" at 1080p) (the 4.3 would actually become the normal and fit the current size due to smaller bezel)

- battery sizes (each model can come in two thicknesses, one super thin or one higher capacity battery what's slightly thicker.

Obviously most if not all of this stuff will never happen but the point is apple really needs to take the "customization" argument from android as it really isn't as strong as most seem to think.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel as though Apple has lost its innovation. That said, even with iO7 I do think they are lacking in some areas in terms of adding new features.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Motorola is. Samsung is.

You really think Samsung's watch is innovation? IMO they made that watch just to be "first".

Motorola is innovating with the Moto X; I agree. Instead of just throwing all the greatest hardware components into their phone to create an insane spec sheet Motorola actually did research and designed a phone completely. We are still waiting to see if the public likes starts buying.

I agree with Rene. Apple is being Apple. It's the media/internetz that have unrealistic expectations. The iMac, iPod, and iPhone were all spaced many years apart. Apple will do what they have planned when they are ready and not a second sooner.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it me, or is the term "innovate" getting overused (usually incorrectly) to the point of meaninglessness?

"Company A isn't innovating anymore"
"Company B needs more innovating to succeed"
(in a robotic voice) "Innovate Innovate Innovate Innovate Innovate Innovate"

I think I'm going to go to the kitchen and 'innovate' me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Afterwards I'll 'innovate' my lawn and then go 'innovate' on the toilet. Sheesh!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel as though Apple has lost its innovation. That said, even with iO7 I do think they are lacking in some areas in terms of adding new features.
Make no mistake... Apple is not perfection nor are any other companies at least the big ones.... Samsung, HTC, LG etc. but what gives me hope for the future is the article I eluded to from several weeks ago that first came out in the Wall Street journal about the Board Of Directors making it know to Tim Cook that they want to see Apple as the company to step up innovation in terms of designing products are a faster time frame and coming out with fresh innovative new products on a more frequent timetable. I think that the gauntlet has been put down and once the new iPhone and any other products announced comes out, I think we will see more come out to catch up with other companies keeping their customer base even more loyal than they are now. My 2 cents.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Make no mistake... Apple is not perfection nor are any other companies at least the big ones.... Samsung, HTC, LG etc. but what gives me hope for the future is the article I eluded to from several weeks ago that first came out in the Wall Street journal about the Board Of Directors making it know to Tim Cook that they want to see Apple as the company to step up innovation in terms of designing products are a faster time frame and coming out with fresh innovative new products on a more frequent timetable. I think that the gauntlet has been put down and once the new iPhone and any other products announced comes out, I think we will see more come out to catch up with other companies keeping their customer base even more loyal than they are now. My 2 cents.

Sothe apple board of directors wants Cook and his team to speed up the process of innovation?
As in release more new products more frequently?
As in throw stuff out there and see what sticks?
As in be more like Samsung?

If Tim Cook does this, HE will get blamed for destroying Apple.
Hopefully, he's able to convince them to stay the course which has brought the directors their fat salaries and generous stock options.
(Or whatever pat on the back that they give themselves).

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn't lost anything. The issue is? Apple takes years to produce a fine product. Samsung adds a digit to its Galaxy Line and what? It's a brand new phone? 3 times a year? Apple needs to improve their current products and they will be top dog. They already turned the corner with iOS 7, so we shall see where they go.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I feel that most of the "innovation" going on in Android right now is just a bunch of gimmicks. Changing screens by waving above it, the s-pen etc seem cool but aren't really after the initial hype wears off. What I would say is innovative is Blackberry's new keyboard allowing you to flick words up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel that most of the "innovation" going on in Android right now is just a bunch of gimmicks. Changing screens by waving above it, the s-pen etc seem cool but aren't really after the initial hype wears off. What I would say is innovative is Blackberry's new keyboard allowing you to flick words up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is exactly it. Many manufacturers are adding many new features, but a feature isn't always an innovation. Innovations improve the way something is done. How does half of samsungs new features "improve things" many of them just don't seem as useful.

Here are some "innovations" in smartphones over the past 7 years in order (I may miss some so feel free to add more :) )

- the original iPhone: this took several pre-existing ideas and combined them into one solid easy to use smartphone. Other smartphones at the time used a very clunky and outdated OS and just didn't have what it took to make smartphones go mainstream. I was not even an apple fan when the iPhone came out yet I knew then it was a game changer.

- the App Store: this locked in the iPhone as an innovator and initiated a wave of simple and trustworthy app purchasing which, surprisingly didn't exist before this point. People may hate apples "walled garden" but it works far better than rummaging through websites and uncertified apps.

- webos: if you never got to see webos in action than you missed out as many of webos's innovations were implemented in other smartphones and some have yet to be implemented. I have to create sub sections just for this

- true multitasking cards: webos took multitasking to a new level. One which ios had not even touched yet and android was horrible at. It was simple really. All your open apps were cards. If you swiped it off the screen, it was closed. Androids multitasking didn't allow for closing of apps until ics and even that doesn't always close apps. Webos cards have influenced androids multitasking, windows phones multitasking, blackberry playbooks multitasking and now ios's new multitasking. It just worked, and worked so well.

- synergy: synergy was the buzz word used to describe having accounts migrated into apps across the phone. For instance, if I used google, I could integrate a google account and I would see google calendars, contacts and whatever else the phone allowed. Webos synced various info with Facebook, yahoo, aim, google, and the palm profile. This allowed for unified contacts, calendars, and even instant messaging in the messaging app. Later, android followed suite and iPhone sort of added this (though not nearly as fluent.) windows phone also followed suite, however, I will say they did the best job at evolving synergy and innovating it as it now migrates things like Skype, news feeds, photos from services, and other cool things.

- gestures: while the iPhone had added some awesome gestures on screens that were included in the initial iPhone innovations, webos had gestures like no other. The bottom bezel of the phone acted as a gesture area, allowing one to simply swipe back from the middle of the phone to the left, or visa versa to go back and forth in apps. You could also swipe across the bottom of the phone to switch between the nearest cards, and swipe up from the button slowly to bring up the apps in the app launcher in a wavy bar which was awesome. Webos also was king of swiping to dismiss or delete. Gestures STILL haven't come close to being as innovative as this. Swipe to delete sort of existed in ios but not nearly as often, and android was all about taping. If apple were to incorporate these types of gestures, they could easily get away with making a larger screened model and still easily keep their "one-handed" title. No phone I've used beats the palm pre in its one handed ability.

- notifications: they existed first in android, but webos really made them awesome. You were noticed unobtrusively while in any app, the bottom notification area would simply move the screen area up to reveal a notification (similar to how ios does now except webos didn't block anything, it literally moved everything up and shrank the screen area so everything was accessible). Notifications could simply be swiped when received, or later on from the notification tray. This influenced android ics heavily (no surprise, the designer from webos moved to android). This also appeared in some form on both ios and windows phone as well (both have banners on the top of the screen that come in instead of middle of the screen notifications or status bar notifications).

--------

- Siri: voice assistance might have existed, but Siri opened the door for the future of jarvises' ! You could simply talk to Siri and have her do things. You could even reply to her! While initial functions might have been disappointing to some. Siri is still pretty useful and will only become more useful as it uses more sources, and has more access to functions and apps. It's only competition is google now.

- google now: while google news voice assistant derives from Siri, and in some ways isn't as easy to use (Siri allows you to take multiple steps for things like setting reminders, sending messages, ect and understands common language much better) google news innovations are in its predictive notifications. Google now will remind you of flights in your email, tell you about traffic delays, inform you about your sports team scores, let you know hen you are at a bus station and allow you to check its stops, and serval more helpful things. Google now will continue to grow and while it can never replace what Siri or google voice assistance is used for completely, it will continue to be a great source of information without asking which, once again leads us into the world of phones with Jarvis (at least I hope!)

- blackberry keyboard: virtual keyboards still suffer from accuracy however there just isn't any good phones with keyboards anymore. Blackberry has proved that typing on a phone should be easy. It's keyboards predictive text allows you to simply swipe words up from the keyboard. It's like swiftkey but better!

- Motorola maker: this is an AWESOME way of buying and creating a custom phone with custom accessories. It's simple, unique and is not something outside of what I would expect from apple honestly, it may not be a game changer, but it really is an innovative way to buy and customize a phone. I hope apple offers more customizing options like this someday!

That's all I can think of as of now. Everything else has just been features that existed or don't really improve upon anything significantly. Companies like Samsung throw many features in their phones, but few are executed well and hamper performance. That's not innovation it's called throwing any idea you come up with at a wall and hoping it sticks, I am in a capstone class right now where we are learning about creation of things. As an architect my process is different, but other students from engineering and other departments are required to go through a process of thinking of ideas, then eliminating ideas that don't solve a problem. I feel like Samsung skipped that stage.

Has apple stopped innovating? Who knows. Apples not out of business! It's last innovation might have been Siri, but o don't doubt it will have many more. Take a look at all the companies trying to race to make smart watches ever since the Iwatch was rumored. (and likely non-existent yet). No ones done it right yet. Apple could easily innovate the watch. Apple can innovate still with Siri, with the iPhone, with Many other things. Also, to be fair, not many others have truly innovated lately in the field. High specs and tons of gimmick features aren't innovations.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox