Some general thoughts on IOS (and Android.)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I put my thoughts to paper on the subject:

What I like and don't like about Android and iOS.

Android:

Like:

1. Widgets. Having audio widgets and calendar widgets are very handy.

2. Less expensive tablet hardware. The nexus 7 is only 229 dollars. An equivalent Ipad mini is 100 dollars more expensive.

3. Works more seamlessly with my Google accounts. I use Gmail, google music, Google calendar, Chrome, and starting to use Google plus. And Android works nicer with those than ios.

4. Platform seems more exciting from a potential standpoint.

5. Access to quick settings like wifi and blutooth without going into several menus. Ios 7 is going to address this for the most part, but still I hate digging into 2 menus to get to my wifi and other settings on ios.

Dislike:

1. Seems not as stable as ios. I seem to get more app crashes and freezes on Android.

2. Have to power manage my apps to reduce battery usage. Because apps can do push notifications and different things that they can't do on ios, they seem to such battery a lot more. I like apples battery management.

3. Lack of immediate tech support for repairs or analysis of problem (would have to ship online). Apples stores pretty great and there tech support is among the best. Not so sure about Google or HTC/SAMSUNG/SONY/LG or whoever makes the Android device you are having issues with.

4. More personal anxiety with accidently messing up the phone by accidently digging into the wrong thing or the fact it's so open. Look, I have issues with an item, and while I like androids openness, I think so much openness causes me more anxiety if I dig around in it. Might be rational, might not be, just saying.

iOS:

Like:

1. very stable. Works as I expect, when I want expect it to, with little crashing or force closes.

2. Battery life. On the whole, ios (and apple devices in general) have very good to great battery life.

3. Mainly only implements proven things and refines them as best they can. I may need to explain, but pretty much I like how apple goes the exact opposite route of someone like a Samsung where Samsung will literally throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. Apple, while they often take longer than I and others would like, waits and sees what's worth it and then refines it.

4. Support.: I love that the apple store exists. Seriously, anytime I can interact with a human that's less than 30 or 40 minutes away from my house, depending on traffic, as opposed to emailing a guy in Iowa and what for that exchange to end before I get a return verification ship it out and get it back 4 to 5 business days later, I'll take the first option.

5. App quality. Purely my personal opinion, but I find that, in general, ios apps seem to be of a better polish and user experience. Of course this depends on the app and app maker, just what I noticed.

6. OS updates. When a new version of Android hits, you have to not only wait until your phones manufacturer implements it with their special skin, but you have to wait (sometimes in vain) for your carrier to push it out on their network for your phone. Apples able to get around all that.

Dislike:

1. It's getting rather boring. Grant it, ios 7 is going to complete change everything up, but right now I'm not too excited for what potential future the OS is going to have or implement. While this is due to the OS already being given very good, I find with android that I am able to get more excited by what Google is doing than I am apple with their OS. Things like Google now are a great example.

2. Spensive. Apple products are generally higher cost than other manufacturers. Wether the added hardware quality make up that early travel cost is up to opinion, but it's a fact that I phones off contract and I pads are more expensive than their respective Android counterparts. Same goes for macs and other apple products.

3. Lack of customization. I like being able to use widgets, customize my home screen, and use different keyboards and things to make the phone my own on Android. With ios, the most customization I can do is change my wallpaper. Not sure what ios 7 might have to help with this.

4. Going further down the rabbit hole. While I think apple products are (for the most part) very good and even great, there might come a time where I'm not ONLY going to want to buy apple products, then I'm going to be screwed with the purchased content like movies, TV shows, books, and etc. That are only going to work on Apple hardware or my PC. The more I buy from Apple, the tighter those binds potentially get.

I'm gonna have to weigh each ones pros and cons to make my decision. But, do you guys have any take on this? I know I repeat myself in my back and forth between the two, but this is legit bugging me.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some may not agree with your likes..

Some may not agree with your dislikes.

​Everyone is different in choices. And that's the best thing about Technology is that it gives us that choice... Most of the time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, Ravensword, what do you expect us to say? You've been here long enough to know how your fellow iMore members feel about certain products. There are hundreds of threads about which mobile OS we prefer, as well as numerous Android vs Apple vs Blackberry threads. We are not YOU. YOU have to decide what is best for YOU. None of us here will ever be able to answer that for YOU. If you ask us to pick for YOU, some of us will pick Apple, some will pick Android and some will pick neither, which will put you back to square one. So make a decision and live with it. That's what the rest of us do.

Last edited:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's about personal choices. What works for one person might not work for another. I'm just glad we have many choices.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You get what you pay for. You can also save a lot of money getting a Ford rather than a BMW, but the experience you get will also suffer.

The hundred dollars extra for an iPad mini gets you an excellent tablet with a premium design.

Everyone I know with a Nexus7 rarely use it, after they had it for a while.
Not only do (many, if not most) seem to get noticeably slower and less responsive. There's also a lot less to use it for, with the poor app selection. Some only use it for occasional browsing now, and even that is worse than on an iPad mini...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, Ravensword, what do you expect us to say? You've been here long enough to know how your fellow iMore members feel about certain products. There are hundreds of threads about which mobile OS we prefer as well as numerous Android vs Apple vs Blackberry threads. We are not YOU. YOU have to decide what is best for YOU. None of us here will ever be able to answer that for YOU. If you ask us to pick for YOU, some of us will pick Apple, some of us will pick Android and some of us will pick neither which will put you back to square 1. So make a decision and live with it. That's what the rest of us do.

Yeah, your right. I'm sorry. .man. I was just getting anxious and when that happens I often need to vent and get opinions from others, because I have trouble a lot of times thinking for myself or thinking I make quality decisions with purchases.

Anyway, I'm gonna save a bit and sell the nexus 7 and nexus 4 on eBay to help pay for a iPhone 5s. Might take a few months or so, but I believe I'll be happier with the decision over all. Anyone have advice for how to price things when selling on eBay or advice on selling on eBay in general?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
All good vent all you want....

​Amazing how passionate we are with devices these days though... :)

The weird thing is, I've only ever been this enamored and into mobile hardware, tablets, and general tech for a few years now, since I got a iPhone 4 in 2010.

Now, I'm constantly up to date with what's going on in mobile, tablets, computer tech, and tech in general. I'd like to think the iPhone 4 had a big part in that because it was a revolutionary device to me. Before the iPhone 4, I had a feature phone and briefly a android phone with ch
crappy battery life (HTC Inspire). I didn't see what the big deal with these devices was until I got the iPhone 4.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, your right. I'm sorry. .man. I was just getting anxious and when that happens I often need to vent and get opinions from others, because I have trouble a lot of times thinking for myself or thinking I make quality decisions with purchases.

Anyway, I'm gonna save a bit and sell the nexus 7 and nexus 4 on eBay to help pay for a iPhone 5s. Might take a few months or so, but I believe I'll be happier with the decision over all. Anyone have advice for how to price things when selling on eBay or advice on selling on eBay in general?

You have nothing to apologize for, my friend, and as far as venting is concerned, we all do it from time to time. Having said that, I don't think any of us have a problem helping out when we can, but there are some things we cannot help with. I mean, we can provide advice, suggestions/recommendations as well as support, but what we can't do is make the decision. Well, we can but that would be selfish and unfair to the person we're suppose to be helping. Anyway, the decision that you've made appears to be a sound one, in my opinion. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day...;)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All good vent all you want....

​Amazing how passionate we are with devices these days though... :)
Especially with the turn of the corner and a new iPhone with a brand new OS coming out. Everyone is getting excited, anxious and asking may questions about what they should do but as already in this thread posted by JustMe'D and others, The ultimate decision comes down to what will work for YOU for the next 2 years. Live with your choice and don't look back once made.:)

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I would add is don't second guess yourself. Make your decision and enjoy whichever choice you make. There's always something bigger, better, faster around the corner, but live in the now.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I put the nexus 7 on eBay and the auction ends on Monday. No bids yet.

I know that I'm going to go back and forth between wether or not to cancel the bid and keep the nexus 7. In fact, I'm doing thinking that right now, lol

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree with many of your observations. I grew somewhat bored with iOS, having had an OG iPhone, iPhone 3G, and my iPhone 4 since launch, I was ready for a change. After research, I very recently jumped ship to Android, and I also bought the 2013 Nexus 7 32gb tablet, and Nexus 4 16gb phone... The prices on both were stellar, and the hardware specs were equally impressive, on paper.

After a couple weeks using them both, I came to the conclusion that I should have just stuck with my iPhone 4, and picked up an iPad Mini.

I sold the tablet on Craigslist a couple days ago for a small loss, and have started the return/refund process for the phone through Google Play. I'm back on my iPhone 4, and, while I miss a few features of the Nexus 4/Android 4.3, I am happier with my iPhone overall.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, my nexus 7 just sold for my buy now price if 257 dollars. It was a 32gb model, so it was a small hit. But it's certainly not bad. More than I would have received on gazelle.com or something.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234