My back and forth with iOS

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Basically, it seems like I'm back and forth between Android and IOS for what seems like daily. One day I'm pro Android, the other wishing I was all IOS again.

And it's hard to get my facts and opinions straightened out. Because people on Android Central obviously will sidewalk Android, while people on here will obviously side with IOS.

Here's the thing g: I currently own a nexus 4, nexus 7, and a ipad 4. However, with android, I'm getting annoyed with its little hitches and bugs that I never seemed to have had with my iPhone 5 and ipad mini. I sold both these to get a nexus 4 and a nexus 7.

Even though I don't enjoy this game about Android, I think I really just miss the stability and experience of iOS. When I go back to my ipad 4, I don't have the issues I see with android where it will occasionally crash, not be responsive, or etc. I'm sure the general pic wouldn't be as anal about this kind of stuff, but I really value user experience and real world performance.

But I'm afraid I'm stuck with android because I own a nexus 7 and nexus 4. And it'll take me a while to save for a unlocked 5S because I don't have a upgrade available via AT&T.

What does you guys think?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Bluntly, but respectfully speaking, I think you should sell your two Nexus devices like you did the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, and then purchase the iPhone 5s when it becomes available. After that, live with the decision you made. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with wanting a device that has the best of both iPhone & Android has to offer, but at this time, that device doesn't seem to exist. You can either use both or pick one and accept it as-is or get 3rd party software to enhance it to your specifications.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I know the feeling. I just swapped to a HTC a month or two ago and I loved the device at first, but I am now finding myself coming back to my iPhone again. Android is a good operating system, it definitely has a lot of perks that I like, but it comes at a price. Widgets take up RAM, almost all tweaks require downloading an app. Still have yet to find an Android phone that I just absolutely love the build quality. All of the stupid little quirks the different companies put into the phone, the bloatware, or trading that all for a nexus 4 and losing top end specs and LTE. Just a lot of sacrifices it seems I have to make to get what I want from an Android phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Bluntly, but respectfully speaking, I think you should sell your two Nexus devices like you did the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, and then purchase the iPhone 5s when it becomes available. After that, live with the decision you made. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with wanting a device that has the best of both iPhone & Android has to offer, but at this time, that device doesn't seem to exist. You can either use both or pick one and accept it as-is or get 3rd party software to enhance it to your specifications.

What's funny is I totally forgot how expensive iPhone are off contract, ha ha. Time to start saving.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with using multiple OSs. I have an iPad 3 and Nexus 7 and have found different uses for both - generally the iPad is mostly for kicking around the house, whereas the N7 is my go everywhere/travel tablet. As for your smartphone, go with the ecosystem you primarily want to be in.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, after looking over my ever increasing credit debt, I probably should address that first before buying a iPhone 5s.

Atlas, I guess I can start putting MO ey away for it, but probably by the time I get the cards paid off and saved enough for the phone earlier, we will be close to the next next iPhone in 2014.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The grass is always greener on the other side ;)
I use both OS's almost daily, and I understand some of what you're experiencing.
There's always that one handy feature from Android that I wish my iPhone had while using it.
Then while using my Android device, I have to configure something, determine the cause of a battery drain, fix a broken add-on, and eventually long for my iPhone which never wastes my time with these things.
It's fantastic to have options though :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The grass is always greener on the other side ;)
I use both OS's almost daily, and I understand some of what you're experiencing.
There's always that one handy feature from Android that I wish my iPhone had while using it.
Then while using my Android device, I have to configure something, determine the cause of a battery drain, fix a broken add-on, and eventually long for my iPhone which never wastes my time with these things.
It's fantastic to have options though :)

Yeah, that's how I feel. I hate having to tweak or disable stuff or look at battery usage on Android. I just want it to work.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The thing that gets me about Android is that it just seems a bit less polished or smooth as ios. There's this little hitches like keyboards freezing, Chrome loading some b pages in the wrong format, and that lack of super quality feeling hardware that Apple does. I know it matters more about the software, but I never had the weird little hardware quality problems I've heard of certain Android devices having on ios. And having the apple store to go to, instead if dealing with shipping it to get repairs, is rather appealing.

But I can't even get the iPhone now due to financial constraints, so I'm going to have to grit my teeth with android for a bit longer.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The thing that gets me about Android is that it just seems a bit less polished or smooth as ios. There's this little hitches like keyboards freezing, Chrome loading some b pages in the wrong format, and that lack of super quality feeling hardware that Apple does. I know it matters more about the software, but I never had the weird little hardware quality problems I've heard of certain Android devices having on ios. And having the apple store to go to, instead if dealing with shipping it to get repairs, is rather appealing.

But I can't even get the iPhone now due to financial constraints, so I'm going to have to grit my teeth with android for a bit longer.

So, to summarize, it sounds like iOS "just works"... Android doesn’t... hmmm, imagine that! :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I put my thoughts to paper on the subject:

What I like and don't like about Android and iOS.

Android:

Like:

1. Widgets. Having audio widgets and calendar widgets are very handy.

2. Less expensive tablet hardware. The nexus 7 is only 229 dollars. An equivalent Ipad mini is 100 dollars more expensive.

3. Works more seamlessly with my Google accounts. I use Gmail, google music, Google calendar, Chrome, and starting to use Google plus. And Android works nicer with those than ios.

4. Platform seems more exciting from a potential standpoint.

5. Access to quick settings like wifi and blutooth without going into several menus. Ios 7 is going to address this for the most part, but still I hate digging into 2 menus to get to my wifi and other settings on ios.

Dislike:

1. Seems not as stable as ios. I seem to get more app crashes and freezes on Android.

2. Have to power manage my apps to reduce battery usage. Because apps can do push notifications and different things that they can't do on ios, they seem to such battery a lot more. I like apples battery management.

3. Lack of immediate tech support for repairs or analysis of problem (would have to ship online). Apples stores pretty great and there tech support is among the best. Not so sure about Google or HTC/SAMSUNG/SONY/LG or whoever makes the Android device you are having issues with.

4. More personal anxiety with accidently messing up the phone by accidently digging into the wrong thing or the fact it's so open. Look, I have issues with an item, and while I like androids openness, I think so much openness causes me more anxiety if I dig around in it. Might be rational, might not be, just saying.

iOS:

Like:

1. very stable. Works as I expect, when I want expect it to, with little crashing or force closes.

2. Battery life. On the whole, ios (and apple devices in general) have very good to great battery life.

3. Mainly only implements proven things and refines them as best they can. I may need to explain, but pretty much I like how apple goes the exact opposite route of someone like a Samsung where Samsung will literally throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. Apple, while they often take longer than I and others would like, waits and sees what's worth it and then refines it.

4. Support.: I love that the apple store exists. Seriously, anytime I can interact with a human that's less than 30 or 40 minutes away from my house, depending on traffic, as opposed to emailing a guy in Iowa and what for that exchange to end before I get a return verification ship it out and get it back 4 to 5 business days later, I'll take the first option.

5. App quality. Purely my personal opinion, but I find that, in general, ios apps seem to be of a better polish and user experience. Of course this depends on the app and app maker, just what I noticed.

6. OS updates. When a new version of Android hits, you have to not only wait until your phones manufacturer implements it with their special skin, but you have to wait (sometimes in vain) for your carrier to push it out on their network for your phone. Apples able to get around all that.

Dislike:

1. It's getting rather boring. Grant it, ios 7 is going to complete change everything up, but right now I'm not too excited for what potential future the OS is going to have or implement. While this is due to the OS already being given very good, I find with android that I am able to get more excited by what Google is doing than I am apple with their OS. Things like Google now are a great example.

2. Spensive. Apple products are generally higher cost than other manufacturers. Wether the added hardware quality make up that early travel cost is up to opinion, but it's a fact that I phones off contract and I pads are more expensive than their respective Android counterparts. Same goes for macs and other apple products.

3. Lack of customization. I like being able to use widgets, customize my home screen, and use different keyboards and things to make the phone my own on Android. With ios, the most customization I can do is change my wallpaper. Not sure what ios 7 might have to help with this.

4. Going further down the rabbit hole. While I think apple products are (for the most part) very good and even great, there might come a time where I'm not ONLY going to want to buy apple products, then I'm going to be screwed with the purchased content like movies, TV shows, books, and etc. That are only going to work on Apple hardware or my PC. The more I buy from Apple, the tighter those binds potentially get.

I'm gonna have to weigh each ones pros and cons to make my decision.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use both a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5. Overall I would say the Nexus 4 works a bit better & faster. On the iPhone 5 I find that apps seem to hang sometimes. I think it's iOS's version of crashing. For the most part it does work very well. But the Nexus 4 is every bit as solid. I know that this totally goes against everything we know & hear about iPhone vs. Android, but it's the sum of my experience. The iPhone's camera, though, slays the Nexus 4's!

One thing I prefer about the iPhone is the apps. It seems to me that iOS apps are a bit more polished overall than their Android equivalents. I still can't get over that miniature 4" screen though! And after getting used to Android's toggles I don't like having to tap tap tap so much to change settings in iOS.

OK, I just read over this and realized it's quite convoluted. :confused: Let me organize it a bit.

Nexus 4 advantages:

• Faster & smoother
  • Less crashes
  • Quick toggles
  • Large screen
  • Keyboard (after getting used to sliding I can hardly use any keyboard that isn't!)

iPhone 5 advantages:

• More polished apps
  • Apple's customer service
  • Silent switch
  • Camera

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm rather irritated though that even if I went back to iPhone (which I pro sly will) that I can't do it right now due to financials. It's just going to keep causing me conflict between android and IOS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm rather irritated though that even if I went back to iPhone (which I pro sly will) that I can't do it right now due to financials. It's just going to keep causing me conflict between android and IOS.

If you can't afford it, then why waste time worrying about it?

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because I don't want to feel like I'm compromising or settling with something I don't enjoy as much.

Life is all about settling. I want to drive a Lexus, but I settle for a Chevy. Whether you're settling or not you have a phone that many others can't afford. If it stresses you this much go back to flip phone. Enjoy the little things in life.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently had the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7. Liked them both. The screen on the N7 was unreal. But in the end, they didn't do the things that I wanted them to do the way I wanted them to do it. So I switched back to iOS. I now have the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4. This is a great combination.

Sent from my smoking hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I recently had the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7. Liked them both. The screen on the N7 was unreal. But in the end, they didn't do the things that I wanted them to do the way I wanted them to do it. So I switched back to iOS. I now have the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4. This is a great combination.

Just curious as to what they could not do that the iPhone and iPad could?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious as to what they could not do that the iPhone and iPad could?

1. AirPlay; tried chromecast and it did not work well or project the media I wanted to on my television.

2. Video chat over the cellular network. AT&T does not allow with any phone with the exception of the iPhone.

3. No LTE on the N4.

4. First Class email app does not push notifications on Android. But it does on iOS.

5. Could not get outlook mail to sync with Android needed to use the app (I do not like the app).

6. Multiple pictures in text messages came up as a sideshow on Android. Shows individual on my iPhone. Prefer the individual pic display.

7. The N4's video player had trouble with a lot of video files natively. Has to download MX player and I didn't like how it displayed HD videos.

8. And the last I checked, there were some apps that I used that were not compatible with 4.3. This was really disappointing. I know that in time they would have been updated, but it was still annoying.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2