apple buys embark

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think data sources like that are a function of the iOS version - it would all be on the back-end... they might need to do an iOS tweak to allow users to turn a layer on/off... that would come in an iOS7.0.?? update.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope they can get it ready by september 10th. Imagine all the good press apple maps will........LOL who am I kidding? apple is doomed! :tongue:

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
all kidding aside I hope more people add input.

on one hand it is wise for apple to get this thing right before it launches and has another botched map fiasco on its hands, so if that means tweaking it for iOS 8, they'll do that. on the other hand they need to get public transit out ASAP, because the longer people use alternatives like google maps, the harder it will be to win them back.

plus hopstop and embark already use and thus have integrated apple maps in their own apps. how hard would it be to just merge their apps into apples maps, and then simply load their data into apples map servers? I'm no techie so for all I know that sounds way easier than it is.

So, what do you guys think? Will apple bring it out for iOS 7 or 8 and why?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy to see Apple working on it. I don't think they will debut it with iOS 7. I think they will be really quiet about it because if it fails that is a second fail with Maps for them. It would put a negative on iOS 7 so I think they will not release it until it is perfectly working. I think there's a better chance they will test in iOS 7 but not announce until iOS 8. When they know it works perfectly then they show it off and reap the benefit.