A team of researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have revealed a method which they say can slip iOS malware past Apple's App Store approval process.

Does this worry you are a App Store consumer?

I feel a bit better on it being tested and proved that Apple needs to step up their game on approval on apps, etc to the store.... But still not 100% comfortable in knowing it may have been like this for quite some time.

What kind of changes would we likely see to the App Store and approval process?
    08-20-2013 10:24 AM
    This doesn't worry me at all as I tend not to download any new App until I have had a chance to see some of the reviews for it.
    Just_Me_D, John Yester and pr1nce like this.
    08-20-2013 10:34 AM
    I read the article the other day and it's a shame that stuff like that happens, but that's the world we live in I suppose. Does it worry me as an App Store consumer? A little, but I'm not overly concerned at this point. As for what kind of changes I'd like to see to the approval process, I'm not sure. I mean, I'm grateful that Apple takes the time to test each app, and I'm sure that after getting wind of the information found in the article, they've made some changes to improve detection. One thing is for certain, bad guys will always find a way around a hindrance....
    John Yester likes this.
    08-20-2013 10:37 AM
    Apparently they've already fixed some of them. The article says that some of the things that worked in iOS 6 no longer work in iOS 7 although some of it did still work. It wasn't the toto cause being fixes but further lock down on accessing parts of the OS.

But it doesn't really worry me much. Yes it can be done but the description of what the GA Tech researchers did was pretty complex and wouldn't be done by the average app developer. The average app developer just doesn't have the knowledge and skills to operate on such a low level of memory manipulation. However if the NSA (or whatever government org - US or foreign) tried to promote a specific app I'd be a little more worried because they would have the skills to out this sort of hack in place. For your run of the mill hacker/criminal trying to make a quick buck, there are much easier methods of doing so than this specific type of hack.
    08-20-2013 10:50 AM
    I thought App Store guidelines forbid dynamic code. Have they changed that? I haven't looked at the guidelines in a while.
    08-21-2013 10:03 AM
    I'm not worried about because the minute Apple find out about it, they plug it. They aren't perfect, and sometimes things slip through. At least they try though.
    08-21-2013 10:24 AM