iWatch Concept Thoughts?

lazarus

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey all-

At long last, I've completed my iWatch Concept. This is something that's been beating around my brain for many months. It was bugging me that I didn't have anything visual to show for it, so I've been slowly and steadily chipping away at it; a few minutes here and a few minutes there. With most of my paying work wrapped up in NDA's and with very little time to work on just-for-kicks projects, this has been a lot of fun to mess with as time allowed.

I figured it'd be better to get this out there before Apple actually launches their real watch first. :)

My main focus here was to create a watch that... well... looks like a watch and not a rectangular screen bolted onto a watch band. Design, Hardware, and Software justification details can be viewed in the high resolution mockup that is attached.

Let me know what you think. I'm particularly interested in getting feedback on some of the unique interaction mechanisms such as the 'tether' concept to a host iOS device, the hardware function buttons, and the use of Siri as a primary input method. I'm particularly fond of the thought of using a watch as a remote trigger for the camera on my iPhone- wouldn't that be fun?

This project was purely something for me to blow off some creative steam with. I'm sure whatever Apple comes out with will be phenomenal and I can't wait to test drive it in the end.

Original posting of this is here: Dribbble - My iWatch Concept - Overview by Stephen Olmstead

iwatch-mockup.jpg

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't buy it if it looked like that. I'd prefer something square and distinct. That seems to limit the information presented. They'll also have to address battery life.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to do an eInk screen that gets replaced with an LCD overlay when stuff comes in? Oh wait, I see a 2011 Apple patent to that effect.

That's really neat. And yes, I'd be one of those people lined up (virtually -- I'd order online), saying "take my money" for one of those.

Would like to be able to remotely trigger the camera. People would then sell mini-tripods for the phone, no doubt.

Siri as a primary input device makes sense. Hardware buttons -- less likely. (There can be only one on an Apple device, no?)

Hope that the watch bands don't seem cheap. Although being able to swap them out would be nice -- a plasticky one for exercise, a leather one for the office, etc...

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe in order to make this a success (like the original iPhone) this must be more then just a better design and software then that cheap crap from Samsung (not even android guys are discussing about it). I think that Apple should introduce the bendable screen with this thing - that should be the first public product with a bendable screen. In my opinion, bendable screen is still impractical (unless wrapped around in a fixed position) in phones or tablets. But having it around your wrist makes more sense. Plus it will fall perfectly as uncluttered, simple looking wrist wrap that delivers typical information on the go. I also believe that this smart watch is typically more of fashion design product, not a necessity, because everyone already carries a smartphone for all necessary tasks of which presentation is much better and more practical.

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ooh, iForgot (see what I did there?). The design you made is beautiful. I like the approach of a round bezel. Someone mentioned that information will be limited due to round vs. square, by which I disagree. Apps or the interface in general will have to be redesigned for a smart watch anyway - it can be redesigned for a round screen. I think you made an original yet awesome attempt. I hope to encourage you to post more of your designs.