Android tablets WILL outship Apple tablets, but...

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
What percentage of them will be like this?

580B1579-54C0-41E3-8CAB-4776BA5E5D34-2112-000000CBF61498A0.jpg

A cheap piece of crap bought by people who don't know any better, that will end up in a drawer or a closet after a couple of weeks.
I'm not saying that there aren't any good android tablets with a positive U/E.

I'm wondering how many android tablets with a likely poor U/E like the one above will inflate shipment numbers, but not benefit android in the long run?
Someone who buys a $69 android tablet probably won't buy another one, or recommend it to others, therefore no positive momentum.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and there is a use case for devices like this.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's pretty much also the reason why devices running the Android OS ship more than iPhones, too.
Reading the specs on that example you provided (I went to look) qualifies it as not that great.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I once owned a Asus Transformer Prime (which was the latest and greatest) Android tablet at the time.
Within 3 days, it rebooted 3 times, ran sluggish and froze on multiple occasions. It went straight back to BB and I purchased a iPad shortly after. My iPad runs like a dream.
I have also owned 3 android handsets as well. All of them ran like crap and I experienced the same issues as I did with the android tablet.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People who legitimize these types of stats against whichever Apple product is chosen do it with the understanding that none of the products stand the test when you compare specific to specific. You have to take this broad stroke against any singular Apple product to make any argument, and those who care enough to read it, should clearly see it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I see Android hardware heading in the same direction as Windows hardware. There will be a few good ones and lots and lots and lots and lots of junk. The people buying $69 Android tablets are probably the same people with $300 Windows laptops sitting in the corner not being used because it barely functions with just bottom of the bin hardware.

KaterinaM

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
A cheap piece of crap bought by people who don't know any better, that will end up in a drawer or a closet after a couple of weeks.

Someone who buys a $69 android tablet probably won't buy another one, or recommend it to others, therefore no positive momentum.

If people do pay $70 they know that they will get a piece of... very unreliable hardware. They are ready for all kinds of bugs and problems. And they won't blame Android for working bad.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If people do pay $70 they know that they will get a piece of... very unreliable hardware. They are ready for all kinds of bugs and problems. And they won't blame Android for working bad.

You're joking right? I see people blame Android all the time for the cheap piece of garbage they bought. Work in a retail job that sells these things for a couple months and you'll quickly see how wrong you are.

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The newer Android tablets are great. The new Nexus 7 is by far the fastest and best tablet out there. Apple is laggy. I gave the Ipad mini and the Iphone 5 a try and they have lag to it. Apple users will think different. When the Iphone 5c comes out, do a test against the Motorola x.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What percentage of them will be like this?

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/...3-8CAB-4776BA5E5D34-2112-000000CBF61498A0.jpg

I'm not saying that there aren't any good android tablets with a positive U/E.

I'm wondering how many android tablets with a likely poor U/E like the one above will inflate shipment numbers, but not benefit android in the long run?

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and there is a use case for devices like this.

To keep papers from blowing off your desk?

The problem with this crap-ware is that ignorant people buy them not knowing that they are basically worthless.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the post OP! I was going to buy an iPad but seeing that tab for $70 it cannot be beat!! I'll be heading to Walmart in the morning.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
The newer Android tablets are great. The new Nexus 7 is by far the fastest and best tablet out there. Apple is laggy. I gave the Ipad mini and the Iphone 5 a try and they have lag to it. Apple users will think different. When the Iphone 5c comes out, do a test against the Motorola x.

You're smoking some strong stuff... Please share.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The new Nexus 7 is by far the fastest and best tablet out there.

Yeah, this sounds like it's the best tablet out there.
thinking-001.gif
Nexus 7 buyers report more defects as Google investigates complaints | The Verge

Google and Asus ran into some quality control issues with the original Nexus 7, and early reports indicate the second-generation model is having its own share of problems. Unfortunately, it seems those hardware troubles don't end with malfunctioning GPS. Complaints about the brand new $229 tablet also extend to the display.

Last edited:

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You're joking right? I see people blame Android all the time for the cheap piece of garbage they bought. Work in a retail job that sells these things for a couple months and you'll quickly see how wrong you are.

I agree. People buy those <$100 tablets and expect performance as if it were several hundred dollars.

I work in IT and I come across plenty of people who buy 'walmart computers' and expect to be able to game on them right out of the box.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Of course they'll outship iPads EVENTUALLY.
The vast majority though, will be cheap, crappy tablets like the one above, running Android 2.3 or 3.0...

Android for the most part is poorly thought out, poorly worked out OS.
(Shouldn't be a surprise, though. It started out as an OS for a digital camera, unlike iOS, which has its roots in a heneral computing OS, and was designed ground up for that purpose.)
It's garbage for the most part. And it usually comes with garbage hardware.

But 'cheapest' always wins over 'inexpensive' so in a few years we'll have a tablet market that looks a little like the PC market today. The majority of market share will belong to one OS, where the only differentiator is price.

It'll be rock bottom prices, marginal profits and marginal quality and customer satisfaction.

Apple will still have a sizable minority, and what's more important: it'll be the premier platform.

Just like now, the best games and apps will come to iOS first, and in many cases only iOS.

Piracy will help to kill Androids hopes of being a premier platform. As will the fact that hey: How many apps do you think, somebody who only wants to spend 100 dollars on a tablet, is going to buy.
Not many...

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a teacher in a large public high school and the number of students that bring tablets to class is quickly increasing. iPad/iPad Mini and the high end Android devices seem to work well but everyone once in a while a student will become frustrated with their tablet and in every case it is one of those cheap devices like the one the OP mentioned.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW