Does anyone else use BOTH iOS and android?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm just trying to think how I can more easily sync android and ios. When I buy my new phone, I. Going to have to buy a unlocked phone, so I'm debating buying the HTC One google play edition or a unlocked 32gb iPhone.

What kind of information are you trying to sync? You can use Evernote for notes, Wunderlist for to dos, Box or Dropbox for cloud storage, and a service like Outlook or Gmail for contacts and calendars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't now but I have used both. Galaxy S3 was my last Android device and I loved it but I have so many items from the iOS ecosystem that I sold it and reactivated my 5. Had the S3 twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
What kind of information are you trying to sync? You can use Evernote for notes, Wunderlist for to dos, Box or Dropbox for cloud storage, and a service like Outlook or Gmail for contacts and calendars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm talking about stuff like my Web browsing syncing between devices (that only works if I use the chrome ios app, but it doesn't perform as well as safari does obviously.) and content I purchase like videos and apps.

I like playing games on either my ipad mini or ipad 4 more than on a phone because if the bigger screen size, but if I ever want to play a game I paid for on ios on my phone, I have to re buy it on the play store (assuming it's even on the playstore) same goes with video content I purchase. Although, again, I prefer watching video on my tablets.

Maybe I just figured that since I already own 2 ipads I might as well get a iPhone to complete it.

I just didn't think the android tablets were on part with ipads, so I went the ipad route. UT hopefully doing so doesn't lock me out of using a android phone if I want to.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use my iPad mini and htc one everyday for my daily drivers have an iPod nano in the car for music and portability at school.. The htc one is a great phone and my iPad gives me my iOS fix so I'm covered on all angles!

Sent from my iPad Mini 32GB using Tapatalk

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Just to chime in: I don't see the benefits of running vanilla android
on the HTC One if it isn't going to have HTC features. At least if
you're spending that money on a phone, the 32gig iPhone you
mentioned wouldn't be lacking things it was intended to do.

IMHO, one of the bigger appeals of vanilla Android on a Google edition of the HTC One is the fact that it will receive more regular updates vs. the regular One running Sense. Being that HTC has a *horrid* track record of supporting their phones with future updates, it would be (in my opinion) an acceptable trade off to give up any HTC exclusive goodies in return for a phone that will actually see Android 5.0 and beyond, cause it sure ain't gonna happen on the non-vanilla Ones.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious why people own more than one phone. A phone of one OS and tablet of another, I can understand. But you can only talk on one phone at a time. Aren't you also having to pay for a plan for each phone as well? I don't understand the appeal (feel free to educate me).

vakama94

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Right now I'm using a Galaxy S II and an iPod Touch 4G. While it is inconvenient in some aspects, I find helpful that nearly all the apps that I have on my Phone are available on my iPod too. Besides, there are some benefits. For example, Evernote premium subscriptions or Rdio subscriptions which are paid via iTunes and I don't have to use a credit card like I would do if I used only Android.

And that's not all, I'm trying to get my hands on a Lumia 1020 just so I could test all three platforms since I want to develop for them. I like technology a lot and like someone said before, it can be a blessing or a curse depending on what you want to do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and an HTC Rezound running Android. The iPad I use for casual gaming. The Rezound is approaching two years old and as of today I am eligible for an upgrade on Verizon Wireless. I may wait and see what the next iPhone is like before I make another phone purchase, though the HTC One is mighty tempting.

Sent from somewhere

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, one of the bigger appeals of vanilla Android on a Google edition of the HTC One is the fact that it will receive more regular updates vs. the regular One running Sense. Being that HTC has a *horrid* track record of supporting their phones with future updates, it would be (in my opinion) an acceptable trade off to give up any HTC exclusive goodies in return for a phone that will actually see Android 5.0 and beyond, cause it sure ain't gonna happen on the non-vanilla Ones.

I see where you'r e coming from. I personally would rather just have a Nexus device for that.
Of course one big feature I'd be missing is LTE. It's good to have more choices though. I'd
absolutely go for the Google Edition One if I wanted faster updates rather than relying on the
carriers.

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been cross-platforming like crazy ever since I bought my first smartphone two years ago (stubborn non-smartphone guy prior).

It's been like this: Android, Windows Phone, MeeGo, Android, BlackBerry, iOS.

Personally I find the concept of using two phones interesting. The thing is I never do it. If I buy a new one I use it exclusively I have learned. So I always sell the other phone I had prior (If I like it that is). Right now I'm on iOS. I think I will stay with it and iOS7. It just works and the apps seems to get extra love on iOS by devs. I'm by no means an app person (maybe 5 apps total not counting Apple ones of course) but the few I have seems to have some more features on iOS than on other systems. Also the iOS smoothness is unbeaten which makes for a great user experience.

I'm just a phone geek. Want to try everything out there. Jolla seems interesting too.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I constantly switch back and forth. If the moto x is actually released at rumored off contract price of 349 or below I will pick it up.

I usually sell my old phone but this time I would keep the iPhone 5 and just switch sims for a while.

There are pluses and minuses for both OS.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Right now I'm debating paying my ETF and getting a subsidized HTC ONE or subsidized iPhone 5 or just saving for a unlocked HTC ONE or iPhone.

It's just I'm financial constrained right now so I thought the subsidized route would be better.

bgesullo

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS, and Android. All having their own benefit. For BlackBerry I use a Q10 and love the business functionality of the device, having the physical keyboard and removable battery. For android I have the HTC one and it is great for entertainment. Love the speakers on the device and HTC Zoe works very well. My iPhone 5 does both business and personal use I mainly use it to keep everything I have synced up with having an iPad Apple TV and MacBook. I love all three devices.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious why people own more than one phone. A phone of one OS and tablet of another, I can understand. But you can only talk on one phone at a time. Aren't you also having to pay for a plan for each phone as well? I don't understand the appeal (feel free to educate me).

Well I've got two lines, dating back to my first PDA that didn't have a phone. I used to run a cell phone and a PDA on the side.

I like phones and I like trying out new devices. So I swap out SIMs and I get to play with the phones that catch my eye.

Last year I skipped the iPhone 5 and bought the SGIII. This year I bought the Z10, will buy the iPhone 5s and the BB Aristo, and skipped the SGIV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

access101

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I switch between the iPhone 5 and the Nexus4 with a nano sim adaptor. I have an iPad mini and iPad 3. I like apple but android has some UI tweaks and ROMs that I have to try out and run. I usually get about a week on my nexus before I'm missing iOS. (Actually I get frustrated and switch back because of crashes and battery life)

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5 side-by-side. I also have a Lumia 521 and I swap the SIM card between that and the iPhone 5 whenever I feel like it (2nd line). I work in IT, and occasionally clients would ask me how to do something on their phones. I was an Android user, so if they had an iPhone or a WP I didn't know, and would have to feel my way through (come to think of it I never had a client with a WP :concern:). I decided it would be valuable for me to become familiar with the other OS's so I scoured Craigslist for deals until I found devices at good prices. Since the Nexus 4 is my primary device, any apps that need to be purchased I buy on the Play Store. I use Gmail for mail and contacts, which easily syncs with all my devices.

Obviously you can have 1 active SIM card and swap it between phones, and only pay for 1 line. I actually use 2 lines with 3 devices. As I mentioned above the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 521 are my 2nd devices. For my primary line I use my Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's $30 5GB plan, mainly for the data. I hardly ever talk on the phone so 100 minutes/month is almost always more than enough for me. My 2nd line is Net10 using AT&T service. T-Mobile is spotty in a few places where I live, but AT&T service is very good. With both T-Mobile & AT&T phones in my pocket I'm always covered. And, since the Net10 line has unlimited minutes, if I do need to have a long conversation I use that line. I buy refill cards at prices quite a bit below face value. I usually pay <$60 month for both.