Well if you want to act, concentrate on acting skills. Hollywood is union. So try will have editors, etc. concentrate on one and build those skills. If you want to act/vo, you don't need to edit or record. People don't care.
    Actually, in VO, learning how to record and edit audio is pretty invaluable. When you need to record auditions to send to casting directors or whatever, you usually do that from a personal studio type set up. I took some classes in college, so I have a basic understanding of pro tools. And took some radio production.

So I guess if it was a personal studio setup, I wouldn't need portability. Lol
    07-10-2013 05:14 PM
    Well, I'm probaly going to be doing audio editing more than anything. I'm pursuing an acting/voice acting career, so I would like to be able to do audio and some video editing.
    At least you aren’t going into upper management where you have to make major decisions day-in and day-out. #Bwahaha
    07-10-2013 06:03 PM
    At least you aren’t going into upper management where you have to make major decisions day-in and day-out. #Bwahaha
    -_-
    07-10-2013 06:19 PM
    Actually, in VO, learning how to record and edit audio is pretty invaluable. When you need to record auditions to send to casting directors or whatever, you usually do that from a personal studio type set up. I took some classes in college, so I have a basic understanding of pro tools. And took some radio production.

So I guess if it was a personal studio setup, I wouldn't need portability. Lol
    Find someone who is getting into recording. VO isn't so much editing. You really need equipment to record it the best. I worked in the industry for 5 years.
    07-10-2013 07:05 PM
    Find someone who is getting into recording. VO isn't so much editing. You really need equipment to record it the best. I worked in the industry for 5 years.
    Right. Yeah, I might know a few people. Still wouldn't mind knowing atleast the basics.

Can I ask what people buy the 27inch imac for? Because it just seems freakin huge to me, lol. Do they buy it because they need that screen size? What do they do on a screen that big.

Because, here's the thing (and I'm not meaning to sound like a broken record, but please hear me out guys)

I like the innards of the 27inch imac more. I like its better graphics card (I'd get the 675X) and I like that I can upgrade the ram on my own. Also higher resolution is nice. I feel like its more "future proof than the 21inch imac, and by that i mean i feel itll probaly handle what I theow at it longer than e 21inch imac.

However, I don't know how much of a pain in the *** a 27inch screen is going to be to fit in a apartment when In finally move out.

Does anyone have the 27inch imac? Do you find it to be too cumbersome?
    07-10-2013 10:41 PM
    I couldn't live without a big monitor. Mainly for using excel and other accounting programs.

But there's plenty of other benefits. Gaming, videos, multiple windows, etc. Hopefully it's just common sense to know that a bigger screen equals a better experience for those things.

There's also the fact I prefer to have my own office at home. It's a way to get away from the kiddo, TV going on, etc. I don't really have a desire to use a pc in other rooms. If I'm in the living room ill use my iPhone or iPad.

I've never owned an all in one machine though. I think it's better to buy a monitor separately. And don't forget you can simply hook up your laptop to a monitor. A Mac mini would do the trick as well. A refurb Thunderbolt Display is 799.

In other words you could buy the air or mbp and always get a big display later.
    Last edited by cardfan; 07-11-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    07-11-2013 01:26 AM
    I couldn't live without a big monitor. Mainly for using excel and other accounting programs.

But there's plenty of other benefits. Gaming, videos, multiple windows, etc. Hopefully it's just common sense to know that a bigger screen equals a better experience for those things.

There's also the fact I prefer to have my own office at home. It's a way to get away from the kiddo, TV going on, etc. I don't really have a desire to use a pc in other rooms. If I'm in the living room ill use my iPhone or iPad.

I've never owned an all in one machine though. I think it's better to buy a monitor separately. And don't forget you can simply hook up your laptop to a monitor. A Mac mini would do the trick as well. A refurb Thunderbolt Display is 799.

In other words you could buy the air or mbp and always get a big display later.
    Yeah, I can see that. It would be immersive for gaming, one of the things I kinda want to do on it,

Is their a meaningful difference between the 660 and 675 in the 27inch models. I've been looking online all day and can't find anything solid comparing the two.

Anyway, I should stop worrying about this for the time being. I don't even have the cash right now, lol
    07-11-2013 03:33 AM
    My experience is that the base 27" imac's graphic card isn't really enough to power games at 2560x1440 res. So be prepared to pony up the cash to upgrade the card if you intend to do any serious gaming.

Anyway, I should stop worrying about this for the time being. I don't even have the cash right now, lol
    Still fun to theorise either way.
    07-11-2013 07:30 AM
    My experience is that the base 27" imac's graphic card isn't really enough to power games at 2560x1440 res. So be prepared to pony up the cash to upgrade the card if you intend to do any serious gaming.

Still fun to theorise either way.
    Is the GTX 675 powerful enough?

Do you have experience gaming on the 21 inch?
    07-11-2013 02:24 PM
    Is the GTX 675 powerful enough?

Do you have experience gaming on the 21 inch?
    No, but when I do game, it is typically on 1920x1080 res in windowed mode (basically 21" dimensions), where the experience is more tolerable.

Mine's the 27" 2011 iMac.
    07-11-2013 06:19 PM
    No, but when I do game, it is typically on 1920x1080 res in windowed mode (basically 21" dimensions), where the experience is more tolerable.

Mine's the 27" 2011 iMac.
    Yeah. Because it's not pumping out as much pixels, I think the 21 inch should be able to play games pretty good. Really, I don't mind 1080p.
    07-11-2013 09:15 PM
86 ... 234