No, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not only for people doing video editing. The lower spec'ed machines are great for simple stuff like web browsing, email, iTunes and Word Processing. As Sean and others have pointed out, the MB/MBA/MBP are primarily for mobile users - those who want to take their computers with them when they "go" - could be to the coffee shop, the school library, or just the living room to surf/compute while watching TV or doing other activities. The iMacs are more powerful, dollar for dollar, over the notebooks, and tend to be cheaper for the same power... but they are a far cry from "portable" computing... that is the key difference. And for the most part, tablets are even more mobile, but less powerful and sometimes, less convenient that a full blown computer... different tools for different jobs/situations...
    Honestly, all my web browsing is on phone and tablets these days.

Maybe the imac would be better for me then. I mean, if I'm going to a coffee shop or the couch to do some web browsing or whatever, I just bring my ipad.

And my school work, as of right now, doesn't require my computer to be mobile. Grant it, that may change in the foreseeable future, but right now it's not a factor really. I use my iPads and phone as mobile computers.

And I suppose if I do ever need to go mobile because I go to a dorm or need it for work or school and need that mobility, I guess I could always buy the Mac book at that time. And sell the imac if need be at that time, but I don't think I would need to.
    07-03-2013 03:32 PM
    Christ oh mighty...dude, I'm sorry but i have to just bow out with this...read the posts in here, read the threads that are on the site. We've covered every angle you could possibly think of ad nauseam. If you're having to dig this redundantly into the machines to justify purchasing one, maybe buying one isn't for you at this time.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    07-03-2013 03:54 PM
    Christ oh mighty...dude, I'm sorry but i have to just bow out with this...read the posts in here, read the threads that are on the site. We've covered every angle you could possibly think of ad nauseam. If you're having to dig this redundantly into the machines to justify purchasing one, maybe buying one isn't for you at this time.
    How am I digging redundancy? I'm just trying to get a idea in my head what to put money towards. It's hard to save for some vague thing. It's often better to have a clear image of what your goal is.
    07-03-2013 04:46 PM
    How am I digging redundancy? I'm just trying to get a idea in my head what to put money towards. It's hard to save for some vague thing. It's often better to have a clear image of what your goal is.
    None of us know your goal. Sounds like you are just looking for a reason to spend money? It's simple- do you need a computer? If yes, desktop or laptop? Desktop - Mac mini or iMac. Laptop- MBP or Air. If laptop- do you need an internal DVD Rom? No- Air, Yes- MCP. If desktop - want all in one: iMac. If want separate to have a blu ray burner, external hard drives, etc: the Mac mini.

That simple.
    07-03-2013 07:58 PM
    But, of I am honest with myself, I really have more pressing financial concerns than buying a new computer (like my credit debt, car repair, etc.) so this is probably a irrelevant question to ask at this time because once I am able to afford and buy the imac after those financial obligations, well be onto a whole new refresh more than likely with new and better hardware.
    American dream- buying crap with credit cards. That's the problem. People need to pay cash.
    07-03-2013 08:12 PM
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think in going with a iMac. I think I really just want a rock solid home desktop computer.
    07-03-2013 09:57 PM
    It seems that most people who buy a Mac book pro do it for video or photo editing. Or for extensive work. But what about the guy who just wants a computer for email, web, iTunes, music, word processing, and some potential school work I might need to do depending on the class? Then is that what the air or iMac is for?
    07-04-2013 02:20 PM
    None of us know your goal. Sounds like you are just looking for a reason to spend money? It's simple- do you need a computer? If yes, desktop or laptop? Desktop - Mac mini or iMac. Laptop- MBP or Air. If laptop- do you need an internal DVD Rom? No- Air, Yes- MCP. If desktop - want all in one: iMac. If want separate to have a blu ray burner, external hard drives, etc: the Mac mini.

That simple.
    It could be more complicated than that because while I might not need a portable computer now, I'm not sure if in the future ill need it to be portable for school or whatever.
    07-04-2013 02:22 PM
    It could be more complicated than that because while I might not need a portable computer now, I'm not sure if in the future ill need it to be portable for school or whatever.
    Well that's the gamble you have to decide and take. There is nothing else that we can say to help you. People have given you advice. You take the advice and decide. The decision YOU need to make is iMac or MBA. Only you know what you might need. Me personally, when I was in school, I bought a MBP (before air was around, but I also did video and photo editing). Macs are pricey. Just cause you might not need a portable device now, it may come in handy for classes in future. I always used my laptop in class to take notes.

YOU need to make the decision. iMac for the things you need it for or MBA for the same things with the possibility for portability.

For me the decision would be MBA. Then when you're out of school, have own place and can afford it, you can get the iMac as then you might not need portability.

People are getting pissed cause you keep asking the same damn questions.
    07-04-2013 02:39 PM
    Well that's the gamble you have to decide and take. There is nothing else that we can say to help you. People have given you advice. You take the advice and decide. The decision YOU need to make is iMac or MBA. Only you know what you might need. Me personally, when I was in school, I bought a MBP (before air was around, but I also did video and photo editing). Macs are pricey. Just cause you might not need a portable device now, it may come in handy for classes in future. I always used my laptop in class to take notes.

YOU need to make the decision. iMac for the things you need it for or MBA for the same things with the possibility for portability.

For me the decision would be MBA. Then when you're out of school, have own place and can afford it, you can get the iMac as then you might not need portability.

People are getting pissed cause you keep asking the same damn questions.
    Yeah, your right. Sorry guys

I'm going to save for the air I think them when I get closer to the amount I need I'll access my needs at that time and see which suits it best.

I do have a ton of other things I need to pay and do financially before, though.
    07-04-2013 04:09 PM
    I went into a best buy to play around with the I. As and macbook. Honestly, on the iMac side, 27 inch looks to be the one I want from a performance aspect, but I think the 27 inch size might be too big for my usage.

Basically, this is going to be my main computer at home and for some light gaming so I'm wondering if the 21inch model with the GTX 650 would be enough for that?
    07-07-2013 09:03 PM
    I went into a best buy to play around with the I. As and macbook. Honestly, on the iMac side, 27 inch looks to be the one I want from a performance aspect, but I think the 27 inch size might be too big for my usage.

Basically, this is going to be my main computer at home and for some light gaming so I'm wondering if the 21inch model with the GTX 650 would be enough for that?
    How many times are you going to ask this same damn question?

Just pick the one you want
    07-07-2013 10:24 PM
    This guy refuses to do his own homework essentially, he just wants someone to TELL him which computer to get ultimately.

RavenSword, no offense man, but just go buy whatever damn computer works best for you, lol. I've never in my life seen someone get suggestions over and over again, advice on specs and then come back and ask the same questions again and again. I'm not trying to run you off, but holy crap man, you HAVE to make some decisions yourself, and you HAVE to do some of the leg work on your own.

Would the GTX650 be enough? Go look up people's reviews of it online. It's as simple as that. I'll even give you a hotlink to Google so you don't have to type it.

People must want to strangle you when you're at a restaurant looking at the menu, lol...
    Fausty82 likes this.
    07-08-2013 07:26 AM
    This guy refuses to do his own homework essentially, he just wants someone to TELL him which computer to get ultimately.

RavenSword, no offense man, but just go buy whatever damn computer works best for you, lol. I've never in my life seen someone get suggestions over and over again, advice on specs and then come back and ask the same questions again and again. I'm not trying to run you off, but holy crap man, you HAVE to make some decisions yourself, and you HAVE to do some of the leg work on your own.

Would the GTX650 be enough? Go look up people's reviews of it online. It's as simple as that. I'll even give you a hotlink to Google so you don't have to type it.

People must want to strangle you when you're at a restaurant looking at the menu, lol...
    Lol, yeah sorry. I'm just a indecisive person who's afraid of making a purchasing mistake, you know? What funny is the iMacs are due for a refresh this year anyway, right? So they might have all new graphics cards and specs anyway, rendering my current debating potentialy irrelevant. And i need to save for it anyway, and my needs my very well change by the time I've saved enough for it.

I'll go look at the reviews for the GTX 650. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.
    07-08-2013 08:22 PM
    Lol, yeah sorry. I'm just a indecisive person who's afraid of making a purchasing mistake, you know? What funny is the iMacs are due for a refresh this year anyway, right? So they might have all new graphics cards and specs anyway, rendering my current debating potentialy irrelevant. And i need to save for it anyway, and my needs my very well change by the time I've saved enough for it.

I'll go look at the reviews for the GTX 650. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.
    If you're indecisive, maybe you shouldn't be buying a computer. After all they change very quickly. The one you buy now will be outdated in less than a year anyways.

Again, plenty of people have given you advice. Now it's time for you to make the decision. No one can make that but you. Plain and simple. There will never be a truly perfect choice. Just pick one.
    07-09-2013 02:22 AM
    If you're indecisive, maybe you shouldn't be buying a computer. After all they change very quickly. The one you buy now will be outdated in less than a year anyways.

Again, plenty of people have given you advice. Now it's time for you to make the decision. No one can make that but you. Plain and simple. There will never be a truly perfect choice. Just pick one.
    Yeah.

I do wonder how much apple will improve the macs when they refresh them this year. I simply don't have the space for a 27inch imac, so I would love for them to throw a beefier video card in the 21inch imac.
    07-09-2013 10:32 PM
    Yeah.

I do wonder how much apple will improve the macs when they refresh them this year. I simply don't have the space for a 27inch imac, so I would love for them to throw a beefier video card in the 21inch imac.
    You can't think like that. If I'm looking for a car, I don't sit and go, well I wonder what the newer model will have.

Save money and when you have the cash make the decision that you feel is best for you at the time from what is out. Stop asking people to tell you what to buy b
    07-10-2013 02:28 AM
    There isn't going to be some glorious improvement on the iMacs video card, it's not going to be some jaw dropping update to that aspect...will it be better? Of course it will, when computers are refreshed it wouldn't make much sense for them to regress.

The only thing you should concern yourself with (besides the frivolous details about storage and what not that only you can decide on) is whether the Haswell processors are worth it to you to hold out for, otherwise, just pick the machine that works best for you with the easy assumption that most options will remain the same or similar to what is available now.
    07-10-2013 07:40 AM
    Considering the OP has never used a Mac and really hasn't shown any interest in OS X or why he'd want one, it's probably a good idea to go in cheap. All the things he's listed that he'd do with a computer, can be done on his ipads. I'm guessing he's thinking of better gaming though despite him owning gaming consoles.

And now he has space limitations that eliminate a 27" monitor?

I'd recommend going back to basics and rethink why you'd want a Mac.
    07-10-2013 12:46 PM
    Considering the OP has never used a Mac and really hasn't shown any interest in OS X or why he'd want one, it's probably a good idea to go in cheap. All the things he's listed that he'd do with a computer, can be done on his ipads. I'm guessing he's thinking of better gaming though despite him owning gaming consoles.

And now he has space limitations that eliminate a 27" monitor?

I'd recommend going back to basics and rethink why you'd want a Mac.
    I wanted a mac because:

1. I want something rock solid and something that just works. It's the same reason I like my ipad so mu h and the same reason I'm (probaly) going back to a iPhone from Android when my upgrade comes. They seem like real solid computers.

2. I don't want t have to worry about viruses or malware. I'm sure there are one or two scenarios where I can still get these on a mac, but I like having the comfort that it is so slim a chance that it's not worth worrying about

3. I'm kinda really embracing the apple connected ecosystem and how they talk to each other. I already own two ipad (a mini and a ipad 4) and I also owned a iPhone 5 a few months back, and I really liked how they all connected and worked together pretty seamlessly. I thought getting a iMac would further that connectivity.

4. I like the apple support. If I have any issues, the nearest apple store is only about 25 minutes away. With a PC, if something goes wrong, I'm left to my devices to figure it out. Might sound weird, but that support gives me a sort of comfort.

5. Even though I don't currently, I may wish to get into video or audio editing in the future. I hear macs are pretty great with that stuff.

So I guess those are my reasons for wanting a mac.

I'm going to release where the computer would go and see if I can fit the 27inch. Because, from a performance and accessibility point (in other words, user upgradable RAM) that's probably what I want. I just wasn't sure about the screen size.
    07-10-2013 01:44 PM
    I wanted a mac because:

1. I want something rock solid and something that just works. It's the same reason I like my ipad so mu h and the same reason I'm (probaly) going back to a iPhone from Android when my upgrade comes. They seem like real solid computers.

2. I don't want t have to worry about viruses or malware. I'm sure there are one or two scenarios where I can still get these on a mac, but I like having the comfort that it is so slim a chance that it's not worth worrying about

3. I'm kinda really embracing the apple connected ecosystem and how they talk to each other. I already own two ipad (a mini and a ipad 4) and I also owned a iPhone 5 a few months back, and I really liked how they all connected and worked together pretty seamlessly. I thought getting a iMac would further that connectivity.

4. I like the apple support. If I have any issues, the nearest apple store is only about 25 minutes away. With a PC, if something goes wrong, I'm left to my devices to figure it out. Might sound weird, but that support gives me a sort of comfort.

5. Even though I don't currently, I may wish to get into video or audio editing in the future. I hear macs are pretty great with that stuff.

So I guess those are my reasons for wanting a mac.

I'm going to release where the computer would go and see if I can fit the 27inch. Because, from a performance and accessibility point (in other words, user upgradable RAM) that's probably what I want. I just wasn't sure about the screen size.
    With the viruses, I still have an anti virus app running. I want to protect my family and friends from viruses being sent by me (even though they don't effect me)

As far as video editing goes. It depends what your plans are. If you want that as a job and move to Hollywood- depends. I moved from CA and used to do it. TV shows use FCP and movies use Avid. Maybe your best route is the Mac Mini.
    07-10-2013 01:50 PM
    With the viruses, I still have an anti virus app running. I want to protect my family and friends from viruses being sent by me (even though they don't effect me)

As far as video editing goes. It depends what your plans are. If you want that as a job and move to Hollywood- depends. I moved from CA and used to do it. TV shows use FCP and movies use Avid. Maybe your best route is the Mac Mini.
    Well, I'm probaly going to be doing audio editing more than anything. I'm pursuing an acting/voice acting career, so I would like to be able to do audio and some video editing.
    07-10-2013 03:34 PM
    Well, I'm probaly going to be doing audio editing more than anything. I'm pursuing an acting/voice acting career, so I would like to be able to do audio and some video editing.
    Hopefully more decisive on picking the gigs you will do for work haha sorry had to. Was too easy.

Any will do audio editing fine. Recording is a different question.
    07-10-2013 03:43 PM
    Hopefully more decisive on picking the gigs you will do for work haha sorry had to. Was too easy.

Any will do audio editing fine. Recording is a different question.
    Ha ha, yeah. I've been slow rolling the acting/VO though and really want to jump start my actions towards it. So I figured I'd better think about audio editing and the like. Nd I always wanted to try video editing. Wether that be making YouTube videos or smashing together videos is video games with music underneath (like music videos, but game scenes.)

He'll, in that case the portability of a MacBook could be more ideal. Lol
    07-10-2013 04:03 PM
    Ha ha, yeah. I've been slow rolling the acting/VO though and really want to jump start my actions towards it. So I figured I'd better think about audio editing and the like. Nd I always wanted to try video editing. Wether that be making YouTube videos or smashing together videos is video games with music underneath (like music videos, but game scenes.)

He'll, in that case the portability of a MacBook could be more ideal. Lol
    Well if you want to act, concentrate on acting skills. Hollywood is union. So try will have editors, etc. concentrate on one and build those skills. If you want to act/vo, you don't need to edit or record. People don't care.
    07-10-2013 04:36 PM
86 1234