Is the best Google phone the HTC One... or the iPhone 5?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Rene posted this morning about - Is the best Google phone the HTC One... or the iPhone 5?

http://www.imore.com/best-google-phone-htc-one-or-iphone-5

Lot's of good points addressing the network of Google Apps and how well they work on iOS... vs any Android phone, either it being marketed as a "Flag Ship" device or something that most Android users trust as the best and most solid phone they have been using for the past year.

Yes more likely the most current debate.. But with a twist

Is newer always better? Even more choices for consumers out there... Good or Bad? Do you feel that Google works better on you iOS devices?:

Thoughts?

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
No. Android and Google are far more seamless. The integration of Google Voice alone is far superior.

I honestly no longer use Google on my iOS devices. That's why I have Android as well.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Google and Android are better integrated yes, but I feel that's only because Apple has such a tight leash on its OS. That being said, Google has made great services for iOS and at the same time have made sure the iPhone is one of the best phones on the market. I don't think Google has any agenda other than creating more traffic and selling more ad space. By that logic, Google will make great apps and services for all the top OS's. It would be nice to see them take Blackberry and Windows Phone seriously and make some great apps and services on those platforms as well.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it's an incomplete question:

As to whether Android or iPhone makes the better Google phone - that depends on whether or not the Android phone in question has 4.1 or higher on it, which sadly is not the case for most Android phones. The ironic fact is that Google Now is available on more iPhones than Android phones, due to the glacial slowness of existing models getting updates (or not at all).

As far as seamless integration with the phone's services, there's no doubt that Android is much tighter integrated with Google services.

As far as even being able to get access to those services, unless you just bought a new smartphone in the past year (running 4.1 or higher), then an iPhone can actually use Chrome browser and Google Now, whereas most Android devices cannot because they're still stuck on Gingerbread (2.3).

As far as a better overall phone experience, while still having access to all of Google's services, then the iPhone wins (in my opinion). Only drawback is the lack of system level access for those Google services (which, to be honest, I haven't missed that much. Siri handles system level functions just as well as Google Now).

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The HTC One can't be the best with it's power button being on the top left and awkward two button setup that then puts a fugly black bar on the screen for the menu button.

I'd say currently it's the Nexus 4. On June 26th the Galaxy S4 Google Edition will be the best one.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Obviously, Android integration with Google apps and services is far better than on iOS.

But I think iOS still provides the best overall app experience as far as the sheer number of apps that provide superior quality and functionality.

Newer Android apps seem to be bridging that gap, but I can still think of a few apps that work brilliantly on iOS, but that I always seemed to have issues with on Android. Netflix comes to mind.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been a long time android user, but two weeks ago I purchased the iPhone 5. The Google services available in iOS made the transition really easy. I was able to:

1. Import my Google contacts.
2. Import my Google calendar.
3. Keep Google maps with spoken turn by turn instructions.
4. Continue using Gmail.
5. Continue using Google Now.
6. Keep Google music with the new All Access service using gMusic (I look forward to the official Google music app)
7. Browse the web using Chrome
8. Social network with Google+

The transition from Android to the iPhone has been really easy thanks to Google services available in iOS.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I think as much as google wants to flaunt their products to other users to try to lure them in, they will always make it better on their phones simply for the fact that they have full control over the devices and the OS's unlike iphones where apple has quite the lock down on many features.

Sent from my game boy color

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh