Will I be able to upgrade to IOS7

c2tarun

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi friends,

I own an Iphone 5. I am new to IOS, I want to know the conditions for upgrading to new IOS. Please answer my following question:
1. Will I be able to upgrade to IOS7?
2. Do I have to pay for that?
3. Do I have to install all the apps again?
4. Does upgrade always guarantee in better performance?
5. If performance is not as good as IOS6 can I downgrade?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello and thank you for the questions.
With and IP5 there is no reason you won't be able to upgrade.
You will not have to pay for any upgrades to your OS
If you do a simple upgrade be it OTA or from your computer and iTunes you won't have to reinstall your apps but some but not install or work until they are optimized for IOS 7 by their respective Developers
Upgrade never guarantees better performance but we would hope along with more features and optimizing battery performance will also come a more stable OS.
Once you upgrade chances are you will no longer have access to your old OS and won't be able to downgrade.

Hope this answers your questions.

c2tarun

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If you do a simple upgrade be it OTA or from your computer and iTunes you won't have to reinstall your apps but some but not install or work until they are optimized for IOS 7 by their respective Developers
Upgrade never guarantees better performance but we would hope along with more features and optimizing battery performance will also come a more stable OS.
Once you upgrade chances are you will no longer have access to your old OS and won't be able to downgrade.

Thanks for answering all of my questions :)

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site

So your saying the iPhone 5 is going to be able to upgrade to ios7?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely. The iPhone 5 will definitely get iOS 7. If there are new hardware features, like NFC, the 5 won't get it. But the iPhone 5 will 100% for sure get iOS 7.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Yes, it will. There may be one/some new flagship features that are dependent on the newest hardware like Siri was only available on the iPhone4S... and how turn by turn in the maps app needs a certain hardware level to function.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone in the past has been able to go up by two versions the iPhone 3G came with iOS 3 and got iOS 4 and iOS 5. iPhone 4 came with iOS 4 and got iOS 5 and iOS 6. And so on. By that logic the iPhone 5 came with iOS 6 so it SHOULD be able to go to iOS 7 and iOS 8. But really only Apple knows the future of their design.

Sent from my Nokia 6185 using Tapatalk 2

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Jag got most of the questions except the posibility of downgrading. He's mostly right but right when iOS 7 is released there will be a brief window when you can downgrade except it is not going to be as easy as upgrading to the new iOS version. When you upgrade or reload iOS iTunes checks with Apple's servers whether your device is eligible for the upgrade/reload. Apple approves the upgrade and for a short while whenever they release new iOS versions the previous version is still approved by Apple. It is this approval that determines whether the downgrade can be done and that is why I say there is a brief window where it can be done. It doesn't last very long, usually a few days, but if you try iOS 7 and you decide after the first few hours that you can't stand it you will be able to downgrade as long as they are still approving aka signing the previous iOS version. Here comes the part that stinks kind of in order to do it you will need to download the iOS software which is easy enough there are lots of places on the web that link to Apple's older iOS versions ipsw. Then you will need to put your device into DFU mode which will allow your device to load iOS without the version of iOS running on the device to be active. iTunes will tell you that it found a device in recovery mode. Then in iTunes you will hold down the Option(Mac)/ Shift(Windows) key and click on restore in iTunes. A window will open and you browse to the ipsw you downloaded and it will reload your device. However it will load your device fresh so if you have an iCloud backup you can restore or if you have an iTunes backup you can restore from that and you should have all your stuff back just as it was.

So what I would say is before you upgrade to iOS 7 if you use iCloud backup do one manually. If you use iTunes do a backup and then after you upgrade to iOS 7 turn off your backup method for the day or two while you try to determine if the upgrade is what you want. If you don't turn it off the backup may run with iOS 7 and that will make it even more of a chore to get back everything if you choose to downgrade. When Apple stops signing the previous iOS version like Jaguarr40 said there will be no going back.

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The 3gs, got updated to iOS5 as the free phone, and then iOS 6 and removed from Apple?s inventory. By that measure, the iPHone 4 would probably get iOS 7 as its last update, the iPhone 4s 7 and 8, the iPhone 5, 7 to 9. That is how I see it at least.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not expecting the 4 to get iOS 7 I think it's last iOS was 6 but I think the 4S will get iOS 7 but no farther then that. Then the 5 will stop at iOS 8 and the 5S/6 will stop at iOS 9. If they continue the pattern they have been.

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not expecting the 4 to get iOS 7 I think it's last iOS was 6 but I think the 4S will get iOS 7 but no farther then that. Then the 5 will stop at iOS 8 and the 5S/6 will stop at iOS 9. If they continue the pattern they have been.

I was going on the fact that Apple tends to update what it sells. The 3GS got its last update when it was taken off the product line. That is about to happen to the 4 this time. But we will see. There is a big difference between the 4 and 4s in terms of internals. So the 4s can basically hang on to what the 5 hangs on to. But the 4 maybe not.

Live long and prosper....

mike1977

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just registered my udid# I can't wait to beta test ios7 wish me luck I'm a new developmer!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mike1977

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes if you have a iPhone 5 your probably running ios 6,6.0.1 or 6.2.1 and yes some up grades help but if you are a Jailbreaker it can be a waste most apple firmware upgrades just patch small things. Ios 7 will be released this fall unless you are a developer with a udid account and yes when you upgrade it will be free.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

So you think the 3GS was able to get iOS6, but they'll deny the 4 iOS7?

Sure, that makes TONS of sense :p