Apple isn't innovating, is it really true?

Apple Blogger

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Many people are worried that apple is not innovating the way it was earlier, but the question is "is it really true?". On this topic , everyone has their own views and no one is wrong, but what I feel I'm writing it here. All these points have been already discussed before by others but the question put forward needs to go back to the basics.

According to me apple is obviously innovating .. There is no reason for it to stop innovating ..

Apple has innovated in the past and is also innovating now. It came out with great upgrades on the existing ones.. And may be planning on new ones.
I would like to start with the iPhone and iOS.
True, the iOS 6 was not up to the mark, even I am not happy with it and no one should be, probably because of the high expectations.. it came out with features which were not very great. It was a start for new features of icloud and Siri and passbook, but over all not a great one.
The iPhone on the other hand is a big step forward. Apple according to me has a very good hardware and design.. With the iPhone 5 it reached many new peaks.. It came out with an amazing 7.6mm phone(few months ago) and even though its not the worlds thinnest smartphone, none of the recent phones have even reached close to it! One of Them is the Galaxy S4 .. 7.9mm still short by .3mm.. Getting that 0.3mm is a tough work. The blackberry Z10 is 0.2mm thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S. There are other phones that are slim but non of them reached these specs..
Their iSight camera is smaller than all other cameras but still is equal to other 8mp camaras.

If we look carefully iPhone is very good but because of the iOS, it's fumbling ..

When other phone makers release their phones they talk about both hardware and software within an hour or so . But apple has different events exclusive for iOS and iPhone.. It is the only company which stresses so much on each of the points ... Goes in-depth for all .. That's what separates them from others.

Next I want to talk about their Mac. I have never used a Mac properly, just scrolled on it some times, that's why I can't say anything about the Mac OS, but their launch events describe every part of the Mac.. Bringing out a MacBook Pro which is thinner than your finger is very much impressive!! There are very few laptops in the market with that specs. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a MacBook Air thinner than their Pro. They have already acheived it .. And apple concentrates on a few products done perfect.. The iMac has an edge which is slimmer than the iPhone 5 or the iPad mini.. Reaching those slimness means they are innovating properly!

Next I would like to talk about the iPad and mini.
The iPad mini is slimmer than your iPhone. 7.2mm .. Very impressive .. It doesn't have a retina display.. that's the only thing it misses but there are several reasons for that also. few of it are because apple was not sure if it was going to work, so getting a retina display would be very costly , plus it would not be at a low cost which is still a little high.
The iPad is also stunning .. It's still not very slim but the rumers of the iPad 5 being slimmer are obviously true.. If the mini is 7.2 the iPad can atleast be 7.9..

So when we stack all this up we can see that the iOS is the only thing which is not upto the mark which they are trying to improve. I don't know anything about the Mac OS so...

Apple first tried to reach new hieghts with design and now I think it will do the same with software .. So when the old and awesome hardware (which they already have made) combines with the the software .. It will produce an amazing product..
We can't blame their innovation on the points of only their iOS or the very highly criticized maps (which are a blot to their product)...

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Many people are worried that apple is not innovating the way it was earlier, but the question is "is it really true?". On this topic , everyone has their own views and no one is wrong, but what I feel I'm writing it here. All these points have been already discussed before by others but the question put forward needs to go back to the basics.

According to me apple is obviously innovating .. There is no reason for it to stop innovating ..

Apple has innovated in the past and is also innovating now. It came out with great upgrades on the existing ones.. And may be planning on new ones.
I would like to start with the iPhone and iOS.
True, the iOS 6 was not up to the mark, even I am not happy with it and no one should be, probably because of the high expectations.. it came out with features which were not very great. It was a start for new features of icloud and Siri and passbook, but over all not a great one.
The iPhone on the other hand is a big step forward. Apple according to me has a very good hardware and design.. With the iPhone 5 it reached many new peaks.. It came out with an amazing 7.6mm phone(few monts ago) and even though its not the worlds thinnest smartphone, non of the recent phones have even reached close to it! One of Them is the Galaxy S4 .. 7.9mm still short by .3mm.. Getting that 0.3mm is a tough work. The blackberry Z10 is 0.2mm thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S. There are other phones that are slim but non of them reached these specs..
Their iSight camera is smaller than all other cameras but still is equal to other 8mp camaras.

If we look carefully iPhone is very good but because of the iOS, it's fumbling ..

When other phone makers release their phones they talk about both hardware and software within an hour or so . But apple has different events exclusive for iOS and iPhone.. It is the only company which stresses so much on each of the points ... Goes in-depth for all .. That's separates them from others.

Next I want to talk about their Mac. I have never used a Mac properly, just scrolled on it some times, that's why I can't say anything about the Mac OS, but their launch events describe every part of the Mac.. Bringing out a MacBook Pro which is thinner than your finger is very much impressive!! There are very few laptops in the market with that specs. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a MacBook Air thinner than their Pro. They have already acheived it .. And apple concentrates on a few products done perfect.. The iMac has an edge which is slimmer than the iPhone 5 or the iPad mini.. Reaching those slimness means they are innovating properly!

Next I would like to talk about the iPad and mini.
The iPad mini is slimmer than your iPhone. 7.2mm .. Very impressive .. It doesn't have a retina display.. that's the only thing it misses but there are several reasons for that also. few of it are because apple was not sure if it was going to work, so getting a retina display would be very costly , plus it would not be at a low cost which is still a little high.
The iPad is also stunning .. It's still not very slim but the rumers of the iPad 5 being slimmer are obviously true.. If the mini is 7.2 the iPad can atleast be 7.9..

So when we stack all this up we can see that the iOS is the only thing which is not upto the mark which they are trying to improve. I don't know anything about the Mac OS so...

Apple first tried to reach new hieghts with design and now I think it will do the same with software .. So when the old and awesome hardware (which they already have made) combines with the the software .. It will produce an amazing product..
We can't blame their innovation on the points of only their iOS or the very highly criticized maps (which are a blot to their product)...

You're missing the point of the average and the public seeing features as innovation. Yes hardware wise Apple is definitely innovating. But people don't care about hardware unless the software is innovated as well. Apple has not done a lot innovating to iOS. We'll see what happens with Jony Ive in charge of iOS 7 though.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Apple Blogger

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You're missing the point of the average and the public seeing features as innovation. Yes hardware wise Apple is definitely innovating. But people don't care about hardware unless the software is innovated as well. Apple has not done a lot innovating to iOS. We'll see what happens with Jony Ive in charge of iOS 7 though.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Yeah I'm really hoping that too .. I don't understand why the people don't look at the hardware .. I trust jonny Ive and I know he won't let down .. But I want the skeomorphism on iOS .. What I feel is that it should be there as ir is the heart of iOS .. A really flat interface like windows phone is too boring ..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many people are worried that apple is not innovating the way it was earlier,
Provide a possible number of the "many people" you are referencing.

According to me apple is obviously innovating
Please provide an example of how they are innovating.

True, the iOS 6 was not up to the mark
You're stating this as if you're speaking for everyone.
even I am not happy with it and no one should be
Who are you to tell me or anyone else what we should and should not be happy with?
I disagree that it is "fumbling".

The iMac has an edge which is slimmer than the iPhone 5 or the iPad mini.. Reaching those slimness means they are innovating properly!
So anything that is made thin, no matter how easy, is innovating?

So when we stack all this up we can see that the iOS is the only thing which is not upto the mark which they are trying to improve.
We? This is YOUR opinion. :)

But aren't you doing just that?

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you have an opinion...good for you!

I didn't read your post at all, it was ridiculously long and at a glance i picked out some key words that typically shy me away from reading such long winded discussion. Words like "fumbling"...i went back and read that one paragraph, where you talked about the relationship between the iPhone and iOS in regards to innovation, and how iOS was causing the iPhone to fumble...who is it fumbling for?

The niche of people who clamor for all these new features and gizmos and yawn at the mention of iOS? Like i say in every other post like this...you have to understand the whole picture, not just the focus you put on it, and when you broaden your view to the entire spectrum, you'll see that iOS is EXACTLY what the vast majority of Apple's consumer base wants, and it falls short to a very small piece of the pie chart...what kind of business sense would it make for Apple to focus on the tiny slice when their product overly satisfies such a huge portion of the graph? You want to see that kind of business model? Take a look at Blackberry over the last few years...

In the end you hold an opinion of Apple and it's standards of innovation...you represent a drop in the bucket. If you think innovation follows the individual drops in this consumer tech world, you need to get a better understanding of it. Then you need to ask yourself...is it innovation you're looking for? Or straight up change?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
This almost read like a 5th grader doing a report.

Like Sean pointed out though, how one person defines innovation, another defines it differently. A feature or function that matters to you may not mean much to me.

People also assume a lot. I've seen it brought up more than once in these threads that android is more functional or featured than iOS. That may be the case but let's not just assume it. iOS 6 alone added 200 or more features according to Apple. I know I'm not going to count up each feature or function of iOS and android. But I do know there's not much I can't do with my iphone, especially with a jb. I'm sure there's also many out there that can make an android device do most anything they want.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
To me, that's a problem when you just look at numbers in a vacuum.

Apple doesn't throw out new features in an update every month and wait to see what sticks. It takes time to design new features, test and then refine them to make sure that they work in the best way possible for end-users. Granted, there have been missteps, but I am generally quite satisfied with the quality of apps Apple puts out.

I don't intend for this to become a flame war, but I am reading reports of the S4's eye-tracking features, and it seems quite problematic. Doesn't work through glasses or in low light, works only on stock android browser, there are quite a few issues that don't quite live up to the hype surrounding it. I also question the practicality of many of those features, but that's a discussion for another day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2