Confused on if I want to go back to IOS.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I know people write these kind of threads alot, but really im kinda torn where im at with my device ecosyestems. I originaly had my Iphone 4 for 2 years before getting a iphone 5. I didnt have alot of issues with ios during that time, but honestly was feeling kinda bored with iOS, so i sold my iphone 5 on ebay and purchased a nexus 4 phone.

Theres alot about android I like. Google now is cool, I like having first party access to my google music, and I admit having widgets and control over basic settings better than iOS was cool.

But honestly, im not sure if I want to stay with it and not go back to iOS.

See, theres a few things that I miss about my old iphone and iOS.

these things include build quality, app quality, battery life, and honestly, im getting a little tired of micromanaging my phone to make sure im getting optimal battery life. Also, i like having the comfort of my local Apple Store in case I ever have a issue with my phone. With my nexus 4, I have to deal with shipping to google.

Right now I have a ipad mini, and while I wish it had a better screen, I do like it quite a bit. (but even then im kinda thinking wether I might a new nexus 7 or not)

And after watching google IO yesterday, there were quite a few things that excited me. What with improved google now integration, google music expanding, improved maps, and etc.

And honestly, even though google has done great with putting their apps on iOS, I really am unsure how much they can improve them on iOS. Google cant have the same level as integration as they do on android. I dont know how goog google now is on iOS, but its pretty seamless on android, and I dont think theres ever going to be a official google music app on iOS (espeacily if apple does their own music streaming thing soon.)

So really, while I think iOS has the better quality of apps between the two, I just am worried that if I go back to it, im going to get hosed because im pretty tied to google at the moment. if I go back to iphone and I have my ipad mini, I might as well just use Itunes match instead of google music, but google music cloud storage is free, which I like. but there still isnt a truly great third party google music iOS app. (ive tried melodies and gmusic and still had some issues)

So, even though this is technically a iOS site, I would still like to get feedback from you guys on my current situation. I think theres alot of people who might have experience with both OS's that can offer some input.

thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, no one can answer this for you except you. It is your decision alone to make. I have had mobile phones dating back to 1989 and I've enjoyed each and every one of them and for the most part, I did a little research & asked a lot of questions before making the decision to purchase them, but once the decision was made, I accepted it and so must you. Having said that, take a look at your situation, weigh the pros & cons, make a decision and then live with the decision you made. :)

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I had iPhone 4S and got tired of it so I thought about getting the new galaxy S3 which I did. Well, there is a quote which I would like to explain the complete android thingy; "Everything that glitter isn't gold"
So basically android offers so much and seems so awesome but once you use it, you get to know that it's pretty lags and doesn't has the iOS sort of potential. So I bought the iPhone 5 and I'm in love with it. Android quad core phones also lag so much that it makes you think that seriously, wtf?
Android does poor job of optimising their processors and software. My final conclusion: iOS is far better than the android.

dlrogers81

May 9, 2013
Visit site
What I have learned after being an Android user is that sure everything was great on Android, but sometimes doing a simple task of just wanting to make a phone call was a hassle. I almost forgot that it was a phone as well. I still like Android, but I enjoy the smoothness of iOS and the ease if being able to get things done quickly.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well it depends and I know what you are talking about when I see ppl with android phones like galaxy and stuff sometimes I think to myself if I should of got one and what am I missing out but when I play with it and use it I feel that it's not the phone for me and its to far out of my comfort zone with the software n size.. If u wanna see how google is with iPhone go test it out in an apple store or on someone's phone and see what you think.. Even tho iPhone software is a bit bland compare to other I am comfortable with using it its not to complicating and I feel the iPhone 5 is not to big n not to small.. So light compare to the 4 and feel that I'll be with this phone for a whole of until the 6 comes out lol

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess it ultimately depends on what you value more in a mobile device.

For example, I went from a Windows Desktop to a Mac (a 2011 27" iMac, to be specific) exactly because I was sick and tired of having to constantly maintain my computer. You feel very smart for the first few months, as you scour the web for all sorts of free software that promise to keep your PC running in tip-top condition, and in the beginning, run them religiously ever so often. The long lists of diagnostics telling you how much you have cleared make you feel very accomplished.

Then it starts to feel like a chore, and you realise your PC starts to slow down despite whatever you are doing anyways. Conversely, my imac remains as quick and smooth 2 years later, without me having to do anything to maintain it!

It was this positive experience that convinced me to get the 4s later that year. While I knew that IOS was more limited than Android in its functions, I still went with an iphone because to me, the promise of a hassle-free user experience was more important. When I absolutely need my phone to do something, especially when under stress or when I am in a hurry, the last thing I need is to feel that the UI is fighting against me.

Which brings us back to your initial question for which only you have the answer to - what is it you want from a smartphone?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess it ultimately depends on what you value more in a mobile device.

For example, I went from a Windows Desktop to a Mac (a 2011 27" iMac, to be specific) exactly because I was sick and tired of having to constantly maintain my computer. You feel very smart for the first few months, as you scour the web for all sorts of free software that promise to keep your PC running in tip-top condition, and in the beginning, run them religiously ever so often. The long lists of diagnostics telling you how much you have cleared make you feel very accomplished.

Then it starts to feel like a chore, and you realise your PC starts to slow down despite whatever you are doing anyways. Conversely, my imac remains as quick and smooth 2 years later, without me having to do anything to maintain it!

It was this positive experience that convinced me to get the 4s later that year. While I knew that IOS was more limited than Android in its functions, I still went with an iphone because to me, the promise of a hassle-free user experience was more important. When I absolutely need my phone to do something, especially when under stress or when I am in a hurry, the last thing I need is to feel that the UI is fighting against me.

Which brings us back to your initial question for which only you have the answer to - what is it you want from a smartphone?

Well. What I want from a smart phone is for it to have good to great battery life. Responsive UI, lots of cool apps and get good app support, so ring I do t need to micromanage to get optimal performance out of, not worry about bugs, viruses, hitches, or whatever, while still being forward moving enou to where I can still be I retested in it months later as a power user. Because I could care less how the majority of phone users use their phone, since we aren't the majority of users, were the minority power users.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Having recently been on both sides on the fence, let me chime in here.

Theres alot about android I like. Google now is cool, I like having first party access to my google music, and I admit having widgets and control over basic settings better than iOS was cool.

Google Now works pretty well on iOS. It does not have system level access like on Android, (and honestly, Siri handles system level functions just fine), but it has all the same card data that the Android version has. I use both Siri and Google Now as needed.

these things include build quality, app quality, battery life, and honestly, im getting a little tired of micromanaging my phone to make sure im getting optimal battery life.

This is exactly the reason I went back to iOS as well. Yeah, I can customize and tinker with my Android phone more....or I can use an iPhone with good battery life and stability right out of the box even it has slightly less customization options.

And after watching google IO yesterday, there were quite a few things that excited me. What with improved google now integration, google music expanding, improved maps, and etc.

iOS is going to get the exact same improved maps, and it's also coming to iPad this summer. It also has the same google now improvements (minus system level access, but that shouldn't matter)

And honestly, even though google has done great with putting their apps on iOS, I really am unsure how much they can improve them on iOS. Google cant have the same level as integration as they do on android. I dont know how goog google now is on iOS, but its pretty seamless on android, and I dont think theres ever going to be a official google music app on iOS (espeacily if apple does their own music streaming thing soon.)

I'm hip deep in Google's ecosystem, and I am perfectly fine on my iPhone. The google apps on my iPhone communicate fine with each other, and all the offerings are there. You won't miss out if you switch over. The lack of system level access is not a big hurdle to get around.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can use google's music steaming service over a web browser via Chrome on iOS.

So really, while I think iOS has the better quality of apps between the two, I just am worried that if I go back to it, im going to get hosed because im pretty tied to google at the moment. if I go back to iphone and I have my ipad mini, I might as well just use Itunes match instead of google music, but google music cloud storage is free, which I like. but there still isnt a truly great third party google music iOS app. (ive tried melodies and gmusic and still had some issues)

You can be just as tied to google on an iPhone, I do it no problem.

If you have a PC or Mac, you can transfer songs from Google Play Music to iTunes, and vice versa. For cloud match on iTunes, you'd have to subscribe to iTunes Match, but that's not required to just store the music on your device via iTunes synced from a desktop/laptop.

Hope this helps.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, your points make sense. I still like being able to stream my music library, though. In order to do that on ios, I need to use a decent google music app (like melodies) or just go to iTunes Match.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I can't go back to iPhone until I can get out of my AT&T contract at the end or beginning of next year. Unless I pay the AT&T ETF. because I'm going to tmobile.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So are you asking us whether you should come back to iPhone from another device? Or are you just kind of typing out your thought process on the matter for the world to read?

If you're asking, yes...you should come back to iPhone. That said, i haven't a clue whether it will be better for you or what...but as a person who prefers the iPhone, I'm not going to steer you towards something I don't care for...if you asked me if you should eat sushi or pizza, I'm going to tell you pizza, because i don't like sushi. Oh wait, you love sushi? I don't care, you asked me, and i like pizza.

See where I'm going with this?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What the heck is wrong with you? :p

Here comes the thread derailment...imagine loving sushi, eating it at least once a week with your significant other on a sushi date night, then one night, eating a pretty substantial amount of it, only to find out that some of it should not be eaten and was not fresh, then having to have your stomach pumped and stay in the hospital for 3 days from food poisoning. That was my last experience with sushi...it is the al qaeda to my stomach.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Here comes the thread derailment...imagine loving sushi, eating it at least once a week with your significant other on a sushi date night, then one night, eating a pretty substantial amount of it, only to find out that some of it should not be eaten and was not fresh, then having to have your stomach pumped and stay in the hospital for 3 days from food poisoning. That was my last experience with sushi...it is the al qaeda to my stomach.

Well, I can't find fault with that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It's your own fault!...You know fish and honeybees don't mix...:D

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Raven I agree with every post on here but for the love of all that is good and holy do not I repeat do not get rid of your iPad mini for the Nexus 7 it is an absolutely horrible tablet! Last year I sold my iPad retina to get the mini then I returned my mini at best buy because they were doing some awesome TV deals and I figured I would get the next iteration of the mini. So after a couple of months of mini withdrawal I decided to try the Nexus 7 cause I had some GameStop credit LOL but after only 5 days of owning that POS it lagged terribly mind you only after adding a few apps, and the third time after the battery died, the battery life is abysmal compared to the mini by the way, the stupid thing wouldn't even turn on or charge! So I returned and will never get an Android tablet again, they suck big time!!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Anyway, I can't go back to iPhone until I can get out of my AT&T contract at the end or beginning of next year. Unless I pay the AT&T ETF. because I'm going to tmobile.

Why did you even start this thread then? By that time, things will have changed. Dealing with a Nexus 4 and ipad mini sounds like a good combo for now.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same questions, but I was torn between Blackberry, iOS and Android. So I bought a Blackberry Bold 9930, an HTC Rezound and was still using my iPhone 4. I played around with all of them, for 2-3 weeks. I ended up choosing iOS. For me, it was the quality of the device and apps coupled with great battery life. Android is full of features and fun, but the battery life is always horrid for me and the screen wasn't that great. And BB7 was still far behind the competition and could never connect to my home wifi.

So for me, it was about what really drew me to the device. Color representation was a big thing as well, having worked at photography lab that specialized in color for 4 years. And to reiterate what others have said, only can make the decision about which platform you want to use. You really can't go wrong or be wrong if it's right for you and what you want to use it for.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda debating if I want to go ahead and just buy a nexus 7 to see how I like tablet android and its apps.

The fact yet didnt announce a new one makes me think we aren't getting a new nexus 7 until fall anyway.

So really. I'm still kinda undecided.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal