iPhone 4S losing wifi when I block the top black bands

suitjackets

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't come as much of a surprise that when you block the bands, the signal gets weaker, but when I do, half the time it drops completely. And it's really easy to do accidentally. I thought they fixed this after Antennagate!

Anyway, does anyone else have these issues?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you. I had my iPhone 4S for 17 months and held it ever way it could be held and never had a signal problem that I can recall. How tight are you gripping the phone, if applicable?

suitjackets

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi JustMe,

If I even lighly cup my hand around the top of the phone, as I might while watching a video, it loses 1-3 bars of signal. Very peculiar.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How are you, sir?...:)....I understand it dropping bars, but is it dropping calls? Is it causing your data speeds to be slower? If those things aren't affected then I wouldn't be concerned, sir.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Strange indeed. You might want to take it to a nearby Apple Store and have them check it out or exchanged, just in case.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't come as much of a surprise that when you block the bands, the signal gets weaker, but when I do, half the time it drops completely. And it's really easy to do accidentally. I thought they fixed this after Antennagate!

Anyway, does anyone else have these issues?

When you purposely try to attenuate the signal by blocking the antenna that is what happens. That can happen with literally every cell phone ever made. Especially when in an area where the signal may not be that powerful. With the antenna completely unblocked you might see full bars. But hold your hand over it and you see the signal drop. The human body absorbs radio waves like a sponge.

The iPhone 4 just happened to have it's attenuation spot in a place that was common to hold. So everyone immediately the saw the problem. If I got into my lab where the signal is weak and cover the top and bottom glass panels of my iPhone 5 the signal drops; including wifi of which the nearest router is out in the hall and the signal is going through many cinder blocks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2