iOS 6.0 gets US federal government's security stamp of approval

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iOS 6.0 gets US federal government's security stamp of approval

Since the dawn of time, BlackBerry smartphones have been the mobile communicator of choice for the United States federal government. The federal National Institute of Standards and Technology has been approving hardware and software to meet the FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) since 1995, and today iOS 6.0 was granted FIPS 140-2 certification. Specifically, the iOS CryptoCore Kernel Module 3.0 was assured to to meet the security requirements of the government.

Read the rest... iOS 6.0 gets US federal government's security stamp of approval | iMore.com

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This will impact Blackberry to a certain degree, but I doubt it's a death knell for them.
Very interesting article and 'D I know you will appreciate this with BB but remember all the hoopla they went through when BHO wanted to keep his BB?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This will impact Blackberry to a certain degree, but I doubt it's a death knell for them.

This is a huge blow for BlackBerry. With both iOS and Android approved for practically all of US Government use, they will have a lot of work to do to keep those customers. This will just further propagate the spread of iOS and android in enterprise.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This is a huge blow for BlackBerry. With both iOS and Android approved for practically all of US Government use, they will have a lot of work to do to keep those customers. This will just further propagate the spread of iOS and android in enterprise.

Oh I still think that there are many die hard business people that live and die by their BB including Obama along with his iPad. The enterprise sector of BB still lives and breaths with certain businesses.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh I still think that there are many die hard business people that live and die by their BB including Obama along with his iPad. The enterprise sector of BB still lives and breaths with certain businesses.

Yes, it is a big blow to Blackberry, but Jan is right. There are a lot of business / Corporate / Government people that only by death will they separate from their Blackberry devices...:D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They were testing it with us initially...we've been using the 4S for about a year now (to my ever last thanks, since it replaced an EVO that i hated with a passion). I was very glad to see this come down the pipeline a couple of weeks ago, and the iPhone works very well within our daily activities, and provides a nice reference tool when needed for lesser memorized things (statutes, drug information, etc).

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
BHO uses a blackberry for email only from what I've read.

Yes this is a blow to the bb world but as a person that owns a 9900 for a personal device and has an iPhone for a work one I can say without hesitation that I prefer to type on the 9900 if I'm going back and forth with a coworker.

It's that damn keyboard that corporate people love when their day consists of emails and bbm's all day. I hear about it all the time from my IT buddy.

Sent using Tapatalk

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Part of the reason people tend to hate BB is that when they have a device that's locked down by their company, it can be very useless as a smart phone. They don't necessarily blame the company they work for, they blame BB. I've heard several people say their BB is sh** because it won't do this or that. You can't convince them otherwise that its not the phone. So I wonder what the user experience with Android Knox is like. Is it the same locked out of all things that make Android fun, and people will hate their phones for it? And then how does the iPhone work when it's been locked down and its functionality is extremely limited? How do people react when you can't use your camera anymore, and iMessage is off limits. Yes, some company's lock out BBM for some crazy reason. They can still use PIN to PIN messaging which they can't seem to lock out, but that is just basically texting without the 140 character limit. It will be interesting to see how it all propagates through the world of high security.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro