I am trying to advise a friend on whether to get AppleCare or Asurion for their new iPhone 5. As I understand it with AppleCare, if you make a claim you get a refurb that was refurbished by Apple. With Asurion, I wasn't sure if Asurion does their own refurbishing or if they get their refurbs from Apple and Apple has done the refurbishing. Does anyone know?

I know Asurion also covers loss/theft and if you have AppleCare, I know it doesn't cover loss/theft, but will Apple offer you a refurb for $229 if you do lose your iPhone or it is stolen? Do you have to have AppleCare to get a refurb for $229 if your iPhone is lost/stolen?

Also, if the phone was just released and there are no refurbs yet, how does it work with AppleCare in the case of loss/theft if they have no refurbs to offer you? I know with Asurion, you get a new phone until refurbs are available then you get refurbs.
    04-29-2013 09:15 AM
    That is just a matter of opinion. The TEC Coverage covers lost or stolen phones along with phones that have hardware failures with a $169 dollar deductible on certain iPhone models (8GB, 16GB iPhone 4 and 16GB iPhone 4S) and a $199 dollar deductible on all the other models (32GB iPhone 4 and 32GB, 64GB iPhone 4S).

The Apple Care for the iPhone does not cover lost or stolen phones, but every experience I have had with them on issues with any product I have through them with Apple Care (MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone, and iPod) they have meet or exceeded my expectations. They will also cover two accidental incidents in the 2 years of Apple Care, but that will have a $49 dollar deductible.

So the question mainly is do you want covered if you lose your phone or have it stolen.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:23 AM
    And don't forget SquareTrade. They don't cover loss or theft either, but they are cheaper than Apple care, no deductible, and you can walk into any Apple store to make you're claim. Love them. Have made claims several times with them on cameras and PCs and they are wonderful.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:30 AM
    So the question mainly is do you want covered if you lose your phone or have it stolen.
    But will Apple offer someone a refurb for $229 if they lose their iPhone or it is stolen? And if so, do you have to have AppleCare to get offered a refurb when your iPhone is lost/stolen? Or is your only option to buy one full price retail? And what if there are no refurbs yet because the phone has just been released?

I know the Apple refurbs are refurbished by Apple. Are the Asurion refurbs refurbished by Apple or by Asurion?
    04-29-2013 09:56 AM
    Stolen or lost iDevices are often covered under homeowners or rental insurance as well but it may not reach your deductible.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:58 AM
    And don't forget SquareTrade. They don't cover loss or theft either, but they are cheaper than Apple care, no deductible, and you can walk into any Apple store to make you're claim. Love them. Have made claims several times with them on cameras and PCs and they are wonderful.
    So Apple will give you a replacement phone on the spot if you have SquareTrade and have a broken/malfunctioning iPhone?
    04-29-2013 09:59 AM
    Stolen or lost iDevices are often covered under homeowners or rental insurance as well but it may not reach your deductible.
    yeah wouldn't come close to my deductible, lol!
    04-29-2013 09:59 AM
    Are the Asurion refurbs refurbished by Apple or by Asurion?
    Could be either - or both... my experience with Asurion refurbs is they are quality, and they have a warranty of their own - check with them for details.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 10:03 AM
    I still can't see why people get so hung up on "refurbs", if the phone isn't up to your standards when you receive it as a replacement, send it back for another one...not to say OP is complaining or anything, but there are so many of these threads about where refurbs come from and what condition they are and blah blah blah. Last week i got a replacement iPhone 5, it was brought to me without a box but if it was refurbished, i sure as hell couldn't tell, looked brand spanking new to me and works in the same way.
    04-29-2013 10:25 AM
    I still can't see why people get so hung up on "refurbs", if the phone isn't up to your standards when you receive it as a replacement, send it back for another one.
    The CLNRs from Verizon under the warranty replacement, at least with Androids, are notoriously bad. One of the things I am trying to understand is this - is Apple the only entity that refurbishes iPhones so that if you get a CLNR from Verizon or a refurb from Asurion, are these refurbished by Apple? Or do Verizon and Asurion do their own refurbs on iPhones?

I have only heard good thing about the Apple refurbs, which is the complete opposite from what I hear about the Verizon CLNRs on Androids. Some people have to return 8 or more, yes 8 or more, before they get one that is decent. It's like they don't even refurbish them, they just clean them up cosmetically and send them out unless they are completely dead.
    04-29-2013 10:37 AM
    As far as I knew, Apple refurbs ALL iPhones that are given as replacements under legitimate warranty/insurance plans, regardless of carrier. I have SquareTrade (like Alli mentioned before) and my wife had it on her 4S before getting the 5.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 10:58 AM
    As far as I knew, Apple refurbs ALL iPhones that are given as replacements under legitimate warranty/insurance plans, regardless of carrier. I have SquareTrade (like Alli mentioned before) and my wife had it on her 4S before getting the 5.
    So you can take your iPhone into an Apple store and make a claim under Best Buy, Asurion, SquareTrade or Verizon's insurance/extended warranty? And get a refurb right on the spot?
    04-29-2013 11:22 AM
    I don't think so...i know NOW with square trade that is the way it works, but the other 3 i think HAVE to be through their service in order to get the replacement (because they require a deductible and what not).
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 11:55 AM
    So Apple will give you a replacement phone on the spot if you have SquareTrade and have a broken/malfunctioning iPhone?
    They will either fix it or give you a replacement, just like if it was Apple Care.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 12:15 PM
    They will either fix it or give you a replacement, just like if it was Apple Care.
    iPhone 5 Warranty - iPhone 5 Insurance | SquareTrade

For the iPhone 5, it is $99 for 2 years, just like AppleCare but it says $50 deductible for all claims. That sounds like it is the same as AppleCare, no?

Is the difference that Square Trade covers 4 claims and AppleCare only 2 for accidental damage? But won't AppleCare cover unlimited for equipment failure/malfunction?
    04-29-2013 12:31 PM
    Try this referral link for Square Trade. It should give you at least $5 off (sometimes $10). Make sure you check the no deductible option. Referrals Landing | SquareTrade
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 12:42 PM
    The nice part about AppleCare replacement phones are that they are "certified like new", meaning every part of the phone that you touch is brand new as well as the battery itself. There *may* be salvaged internals, but there's no way to know for sure. They are also individually tested. The issue with Asurion Refurbs are that they are not technically an "Apple Authorized" Repair Center, meaning that if you get an Asurion refurb and have an issue with it, Apple may deny service due to unauthorized modification. What this basically means is that if you get an Asurion replacement you can assume you have to go back to your carrier/Asurion for service. Your mileage may vary on that part but it's technically Apple's policy so don't be surprised by it.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    05-01-2013 02:50 AM
    The issue with Asurion Refurbs are that they are not technically an "Apple Authorized" Repair Center, meaning that if you get an Asurion refurb and have an issue with it, Apple may deny service due to unauthorized modification. What this basically means is that if you get an Asurion replacement you can assume you have to go back to your carrier/Asurion for service. Your mileage may vary on that part but it's technically Apple's policy so don't be surprised by it.
    Thanks, that was something I was wondering about - does Asurion refurb their own devices or are they sending them back to Apple for refurbishing.
    05-01-2013 09:15 AM
    On my iPhone 4 I had Asurion insurance. The home button came loose so I got a replacement, right out the of box the replacement had a loose home button. I went through another one as well for the same issue, the Verizon reps kept saying they had never heard of any of this. I stopped using my iPhone.

A friend suggested I call Apple, I did and they were able to pull up my account and see that I kept having the same issues with Asurion phones. Apple overnighted me a brand new iPhone 4S for free because I had so many issues. The few times I have dealt with Apple because of issues it has been fantastic, best part.........never once have I had to talk to Peggy.
    Alli and androidluvr2 like this.
    05-06-2013 12:10 AM