Let's be honest here, who here is actually excited over an upcoming smartwatch?

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The idea of a smart watch is just plain lame. Invest the money into what the customer really wants Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd get a smart watch just to say I had one. Just to add it to the collection. Would be a novelty piece unless it was extremely functional in some way my iPhone isn't.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I wears simple analog Timex Weekender. Much quicker and easier. I will wear a Nano as a watch when traveling to avoid having to worry about keeping my phone charged. Am I excited ? No. But I do look forward to seeing it. I may even get one, depending on its features/usefulness.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sean, I dont want Apple to be a bottom dweller. In fact, its just the opposite. I own a MBP Retina that I absolutely love, an Apple TV and will absolutely buy a Retina iPad Mini once it comes out. I own a pretty big (big to me) chunk of APPL. I am quite invested in Apple. With all the Apples in my life, one would think I would use their phone. However, there is no way I am going to use their Zoolander of a smartphone. I can actually get work done on my Note 2... and I want Apple to make one for me. There are millions of people just like me.

As a stock holder, I believe I am entitled to say so. I will readily admit that I probably complain too much about it, especially here on iMore. For that I apologize to you and everyone else.

I could care less about bragging rights. Bragging rights can be stupid.. especially in business. In simplistic terms lets say I sell 1,000,000 of my phones and you sell 750,000 of your phones. Can I not brag that I am the leading manufacturer of phones? More people like my phone over yours? Well, I suppose a fan boy could use this in an argument in a forum or bar debate and win the day hands down. But why on earth would I surrender the market share you own because I refuse to compete with you? It is dumb dumb dumb.

Apple was asleep at the wheel with the phablet. Plain and simple.

Giving that market away doesn't make sense to me as a stock holder, and disappoints me as a user of smartphones.

PS.... in case anyone is drawing a blank on my Zoolander Smartphone. Here ya go

zoolander-phone_fgo7F_52.jpg

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
In what universe is a 5 inch 1080p screen with 441 PPI a sacrifice over a 4 inch 1136 x 640 screen with 326 PPI ?????

The sacrifice is that I have to hold a device with a screen that big with two hands. I prefer one handed operation. It will be 10-20 more years before I can chop off my small girlish hands and replace them with larger manly robot hands.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But as a stock holder, you shouldn't be approaching it as a tech enthusiast (when it comes to money), where you should have your focus is their continued success at moving units...Apple leads the market, because the majority of the market is satisfied with the current size and function, the numbers back that up every year. And then there's the fact that it's Apple...it's still a luxury brand, and people still buy it because of the name...they have that going for them as well.

From a stock holder stand point (which I am as well), you should be totally content that they are continuing a working formula (even if it's a bumpy ride along the way). Will they ever satisfy the demand for a larger screen? Maybe, and I'm sure it'll be a great phone and people will adjust that don't care for larger screen platforms, but from a monetary stand point, why would you want them to change something that yields such fantastic support? I think a lot of my stubbornness stems from the fact that i want Apple to keep chugging away with this industry leading formula, and while i know that eventually changes must be made to stay relevant, i personally don't think that time is even close yet.

And in turn (as you said before), as a stock holder, i probably support Apple a little more than i should when it comes to getting the best device i could have for my money, but the honest truth is, putting stocks aside, I am truly happy with my iPhone 5, and i just feel lost when i use other phones that my buddies and co workers bring to me to check out.

Apple has always been the company that comes to the table with a device or feature when they feel the market is ripe and perfect for it (because they know, when they slap their name on something, it's going to sell like hot cakes). A phablet will eventually come out of Cupertino, i have no doubt, and when it does, it will sell brilliantly...but like they've always done in the past, when it's nicely polished and already familiar to the market, they'll come to the table and the market will explode, clouds will part, heavens will sing and Apple will satisfy the masses again...until the next big thing comes along, whatever it is, and people get frustrated that the iPhone doesn't have it yet.

Did we just become best friends?

Step Brothers - Best Friends - YouTube

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The sacrifice is that I have to hold a device with a screen that big with two hands. I prefer one handed operation. It will be 10-20 more years before I can chop off my small girlish hands and replace them with larger manly robot hands.

Load an excel spreadsheet on your phone... then come talk to me. :)

BTW... I am thinking a getting a 4 or iPod Touch and strapping it on to my wrist. Think it will work??? :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just used to the size, i can see how it would be a pain zooming all the time...numbers app makes it a bit easier, but i hate excel, so it's never at the fore front of my feature needs, lol. ;)

Get an iPad Mini and strap it to your bicep...start a trend!

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to see the engineering that allows digital watch batteries to last 3 years on a single charge go into stretching the life of a smartphone battery to weeks or months. If hope that's one outcome of iOS smartwatch development.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Load an excel spreadsheet on your phone... then come talk to me. :)

BTW... I am thinking a getting a 4 or iPod Touch and strapping it on to my wrist. Think it will work??? :)

I don't use excel on anything less than a 27" monitor; I wanted the 30" monitor but my boss had to draw the line some where.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I use my phone one handed about 90% of the time and the iPhone is big enough.

I'm so happy for you and the rest of the tiny-handed people in the universe who use their phones with one hand.
Regardless, it would still be unwise for Apple to ignore the millions of people who want bigger devices.
There should be a 4" iPhone and a 5" iPhone available to the public. It would be a win/win for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

kittychew

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't picture myself wanting an iWatch either, but I do think the functionality will be critical. I don't wear a watch now because I always have my phone for the time or other watch functions.

If it turns out to be like the pebble, then that could be good. I would like to glance at a notification in many situations without having to check my phone. Honestly, over the next decade, I think wearable technology will become more feasible and eventually accepted.

For all of the Google Glass naysayers, many of the same concerns that people had about privacy for Glass echoes what where heard about cell phone 15-20 years ago. This is the future.

On the other hand, Glass is hideously unattractive and I wouldn't be caught wearing it in public. So they need to have a company like apple find a way to make it attractive. Just saying...

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
On the other hand, Glass is hideously unattractive and I wouldn't be caught wearing it in public. So they need to have a company like apple find a way to make it attractive. Just saying...

Like Nintendo and the Virtual Boy. Someone brought it back in the form of the 3DS XL. A much smaller, more portable and better looking device than the prototype that was originally rushed to market.

I was interested with the TV watch originally, but I never got one because I felt it was not ready yet for primetime, because the technology for it was not there. And now we can watch videos and vid-chat on portable devices that we couldn't have 10-20+ years ago. I feel that they could make something more as a prototype to see what is viable in such a product, even if it never leaves that stage.

Here is a question: How many people disregarded the Newton as they are saying so towards the iWatch, but bought the PDA's that became available? The Newton failed but those PDA's which were successful that also became phones prior to the iPhone, used the same recognition writing that came from the Newton. Also 3D in homes has come to where it is similar to Theatres, where those same glasses can be used, instead of those shutter-frames that need power.

Now my $.02: I am going to wait to pass my judgement on the iWatch if it ever reaches store-shelves.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am kinda excited about the smartwatch (depending on price). I have just recently started to wear a watch again (New Balance watch to check pulse while working out) and have begun to appreciate the convenience of it (who knew?).

Depending on what functionality is included in the iWatch (creepy, stalkerish name), I could see it being very convenient - reading texts without taking phone out of pocket, walking directions, GPS routing for fitness, as well as music controls. In all honesty, I can see most functions of a phone (not internet obviously) being able to be handled by a watch and a bluetooth headset - phone calls, music, GPS navigation, calendar, siri, weather app, even a camera and some social media.... we will just have to see what Apple comes up with.

I would also love to see it take in the functions of the Jawbone Up. I had one of those (until it died), and it was nice to have it monitor my steps and wake me up with a vibration (so I didnt have to wake my wife up).

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't feel any excitement at all over a smart watch. First, because I don't like to wear
a watch. Second, I just find the whole idea of a smart watch coinciding with my phone
to be stupid and gimmicky.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel any excitement at all over a smart watch. First, because I don't like to wear
a watch. Second, I just find the whole idea of a smart watch coinciding with my phone
to be stupid and gimmicky.

I hear you, my friend...:)...Hopefully, we're all in for a nice surprise.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I wear a watch, but I prefer a more traditional timepiece and look. I have enough devices on me...don't need another one.

That said, the geek in me will want to check it out anyway if it ever comes out.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
No interest in any kind of a smart watch.

For those arguing about screen size, it's inevitable Apple will verge off with a bigger iphone. Give it time. That line is their magic money/profit machine. But the needed increase in resolution affects a lot of things. I still think a 5" iphone is more probable than a retina ipad mini. The latter never seemed likely anytime soon and after the last quarter results, even less likely to happen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal