Let's be honest here, who here is actually excited over an upcoming smartwatch?

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Guessing you didn't fully understand my post.. I DID state that the Mini was and is a investment for Apple...

Apple would not be a Billion dollar company today, if they didn't know what they were doing, let's be realistic about it..

Will you have a 5" iPhone some day...? Yes maybe in 3-5 years or maybe not. Only Apple knows...

But as of right now consumers have a choice to go to another company and use a large device and OS...

Lol, what ever you say my friend. It seems you have misunderstood my point as well. No problem. Anyhow we obviously differ in the matter and that's fine. To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Will you have a 5" iPhone some day...? Yes maybe in 3-5 years or maybe not. Only Apple knows...

But as of right now consumers have a choice to go to another company and use a large device and OS...

When it comes to profits and market growth, isnt the idea to be "the" choice and not "a" choice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)
....as of right now consumers have a choice to go to another company and use a large device and OS...

That is true, but also therein lies the problem. We all agree that having choices is a good thing, and yet, many people are not satisfied with the available choices before them. They want catered choices. For example, as witnessed by posts within this forum, a lot of people who are "currently using" devices with screens larger than that of the iPhone 5 are all up in arms because Apple doesn't provide one. Heck, an argument can be made that some of those people are dissatisfied with their current large screen smartphones and, if they weren't, then why would the fact that Apple doesn't have a phablet size iPhone bother them so much? I wonder if that's one of the reasons why Apple has taken a closed system approach to things. Hmmm!

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If I was going to buy a watch I would probably spend more than my iPhone 5 cost me unlocked and buy a real watch; analog face, mechanical movement, quartz face, etc. Like a watch is supposed to be.

So no smart watches for me. I don't wear watches anyway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to profits and market growth, isnt the idea to be "the" choice and not "a" choice?

Based on their market lead most times throughout the year, I'd say they are "the" choice.

As far as this smartwatch goes, i haven't worn a watch since i was a kid...don't plan on doing it anytime soon, so it will be of little use to me. I do find the tech interesting though, and i always like to see how much stuff they can pack into a tiny package...and I'm sure there is a huge market for them based on how people reacted to the nano watch adaptors and such.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I can all but assure you that I wouldn't have 'need' for it. I cannot, at this time, envision it being nothing more than an extension of a smartphone and my aging eyesight does not need the extra strain...:D

The difference is that I can envision it being so much more than an extension of a smartphone and more than just a watch. I'd think it's better referred to as an iBand. I never have, never will be a watch person. But would they really make a watch? Obviously it'll have watch like features if its on your wrist, but does anyone seriously believe that's all? Obviously it'll have notification features, but does anyone seriously believe that would be enough to waste research time and money on? I know people like their Pebbles, but noting about those things look stylish, comfortable, or intuitive enough to get me to look at them twice, even as a free accessory I'd probably pass. If this iBand comes out it wont be simply something that mirrors the phone and tells time, instead it'll be something that uses the iPhone as a hub to do things you couldn't or wouldn't want to do with just a phone.

Exactly right. I don't know I need it until apple shows it to me and then I can't believe I've gone this long without one. I'm excited for 2014, and all of this!

Ps. To address all the off topics: Please stop hounding for a larger screen, or thinner phone, or blah blah blah...not that I'm afraid they'll listen to you, but on the off chance they do, and make sacrifices to accommodate, then I'll consider looking for other options. I like my iPhone to be an Apple iPhone, not a gimmick copy of another phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The difference is that I can envision it being so much more than an extension of a smartphone and more than just a watch. I'd think it's better referred to as an iBand. I never have, never will be a watch person. But would they really make a watch? Obviously it'll have watch like features if its on your wrist, but does anyone seriously believe that's all? Obviously it'll have notification features, but does anyone seriously believe that would be enough to waste research time and money on? I know people like their Pebbles, but noting about those things look stylish, comfortable, or intuitive enough to get me to look at them twice, even as a free accessory I'd probably pass. If this iBand comes out it wont be simply something that mirrors the phone and tells time, instead it'll be something that uses the iPhone as a hub to do things you couldn't or wouldn't want to do with just a phone.

Exactly right. I don't know I need it until apple shows it to me and then I can't believe I've gone this long without one. I'm excited for 2014, and all of this!

Ps. To address all the off topics: Please stop hounding for a larger screen, or thinner phone, or blah blah blah...not that I'm afraid they'll listen to you, but on the off chance they do, and make sacrifices to accommodate, then I'll consider looking for other options. I like my iPhone to be an Apple iPhone, not a gimmick copy of another phone.

​Hopefully, you're right, and if you are, a lot of people will want it....:)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Please stop hounding for a larger screen, or thinner phone, or blah blah blah...not that I'm afraid they'll listen to you, but on the off chance they do, and make sacrifices to accommodate, then I'll consider looking for other options. I like my iPhone to be an Apple iPhone, not a gimmick copy of another phone.

In what universe is a 5 inch 1080p screen with 441 PPI a sacrifice over a 4 inch 1136 x 640 screen with 326 PPI ?????

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
In what universe is a 5 inch 1080p screen with 441 PPI a sacrifice over a 4 inch 1136 x 640 screen with 326 PPI ?????

Production costs? Battery? Compromised one handed use? I dunno. Cook made mention of it but I'm sure you can argue how it isn't though.

But again, that's off topic.

If the iBand is too small or too heavy or not in my color, I won't buy it. I won't tell them they're wrong, i won't judge those that do buy it, and I won't throw a tantrum, they just won't get my money.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Are we really going to get into the PPI debate again? lol...one of the most useless comparison points these days. And why is it relevant in this thread anyways?

Sleenius

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Well I have to be honest, ever since I was a kid and tried strapping a walkie talkie to my arm, the idea of a "smart watch" has been one that has really intrigued me - although the current range (from what I've read) - doesn't really hit the spot. However, as someone who loves gadgets, I honestly can't see how anyone who doesn't like them(gadgets) wouldn't be excited about a smart watch. being on the lower end of 40 - I can remember that the first "mobile" phones actually meant you needed to go to the gym 3 times a week just to lift them. The fact that my iPhone now has as much processing power as the first manned mission to the moon is amazing - and the fact that it's likely that this will be put into a wrist watch is something we can confess to not having in 20 years time to the grandchildren (my boys already have a hard time believing that there was no such thing as a VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray device when I was a child). I mean, where is your sense of wonder? I watched a Blu-Ray of a stand up comic recently - and he was talking about electricity. Can you imagine trying to explain the devices we run using it, 150 years ago - it would seem like magic. And I like to think I have enough of my child heart in me to still be impressed by the fact that I will have a watch that can speak to me (in reply to me - rather than just random words). So whilst as a consumer and adult I may well be thinking "meh" (not more money you want from me Apple) - the child in me is most certainly leaping with unbridled joy...(something the adult me can only look upon with envy).

Maybe that's what Apple is hoping to capture, rather than just our dollar/pound (unlikely you may think - and maybe in a more cynical mood I would agree - but today, why not...)

WSAV_TracyHayns

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Dude -
You couldn't be more right. Who started all this 'iWatch' ' smartwatch' hype anyway? Who even cares?
Very happy with my iPad mini. Would like one with retina and 4G. But that will come in time. I really just think it's
a case of tech writers needing something to write about. I can sympathize - I write for a living too.
But I try to keep it to things I think are actually interesting. A smartwatch, any smartwatch, really is not.

There's my 2 Drachma!

TLH

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Are we really going to get into the PPI debate again? lol...one of the most useless comparison points these days. And why is it relevant in this thread anyways?

Of course it is a useless comparison these days since Apple is not the leader in PPI.... But it was a BIG comparison item when the 4 came out..... Hmmmmmm.

BTW..... It wasn't me that started the screen thing in this thread. Guess you overlooked that eh?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Of course it is a useless comparison these days since Apple is not the leader in PPI.... But it was a BIG comparison item when the 4 came out..... Hmmmmmm.

BTW..... It wasn't me that started the screen thing in this thread. Guess you overlooked that eh?

I have to admit, he's got a point.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm just happy to read something actually on topic. While yes just like the television set they are building, the iWatch is just part of the news cycle for cycle sake, I really don't care. It is the kid and the tech lover in me that wants to see all of it for the reasons I listed previously. So yes, honestly I am excited for whatever they think they can do in whatever space it would occupy. Watch, information/notification hub, health monitor, or even just a dumb watch as accessory fashion line. I'll be disappointed its missing things I think would be cool, and I'll be excited by the things they brought to market because they think they are cool. What would it have to do or be in order to excite you? Short of exclusively coming with a phablet sized iPhone or bundled with the retina iPad mini?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Has nothing to do with Apple being a leader or a bottom dweller, as much as you'd like it to be. When the 4 came out...it was one of the first popular phones to offer such a screen, but the technology on all fronts has moved beyond what keeps PPI relevant...here's a pretty good read if you get bored trying to paint me as a blind apple fan boy...i feel PPI has always been a bit of a marketing tool, now it's almost completely such (again, in my opinion) Tech's New Most Meaningless Spec: PPI

And no, you didn't start it, but you continued it...and now I'm on that wagon so let's go, thread was derailed at the word smartwatch anyways.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Stupid idea IMO. Your going to look like the biggest toolbox in the world with a "smartwatch" on your wrist.

Watches have always been a status statement, or as one of the few, if not only men's accessory. (Not including women here, because I feel the smartwatch would be an even tougher sell to the ladies). No way its going to take off