Let's be honest here, who here is actually excited over an upcoming smartwatch?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If this is the wrong forum for this, feel free to move this, moderators.

Am I the only person here who has a giant "meh" at all the rumors floating around of a smartwatch, either by Apple or another manufacturer? I guess I'm even more 'meh' at the notion that an iWatch will be the next big game changing product Apple vs. a niche product that would have limited appeal to the masses. My take is that it's mostly Wall Street hype looking for the next big thing to obsess over for their stocks.

Yeah, I can see the appeal for runners/bikers/etc who wouldn't have to carry around their smartphone to track their progress. But beyond that, it's just having an even smaller iOS interface on your wrist, when you have another one already in your pocket. I don't even wear a watch now, because again, I can just pull out my smartphone and check the time on it.

Maybe I'm way off base on this, and I'm fine if that's the case.

I'm curious, how excited are YOU at the thought of a mini iOS on your wrist, and how much use would you get out of it over what you can already do with an iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about it at this time, and to be honest, I can't see how it would be useful to 'me'.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I also don't wear the draw full of watches I own so why would this be any different except to maybe impress girls

I did that back in my teens with my 40 dollar Rolex knockoff I bought in NY city

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
It would be smarter for Apple to transfer all the effort, time, funding and engineering into developing that 5" iPhone that some current users are actually 'asking' for oppose to a watch that no one is asking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sure only a small percentage is asking for a 5" iPhone

I'm sure a even 'smaller' percentage is actually asking for a iWatch....
Also the people that are asking for a 5" display aren't asking for it to 'replace' the current generation iPhone but more along the lines of being a addition to the iFamily the same way the iPad mini didn't replace the iPad, but just gave the consumer another option.
That's all we are asking for, another option.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ah, but that's what Apple does; they take something you don't need and turn it into a necessity! ;)

That's because we don't know what we want . . or so I've been told ;)

I just don't want to worry about remembering to plug my watch in or if the battery is going to die during the day . . just don't feel like I need another device to charge . . my phone is my 'pocket watch'

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah, but that's what Apple does; they take something you don't need and turn it into a necessity! ;)

I can all but assure you that I wouldn't have 'need' for it. I cannot, at this time, envision it being nothing more than an extension of a smartphone and my aging eyesight does not need the extra strain...:D

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a ridiculous choice to venture into watches. Most people have watches they already wear, many that are $500-$1000 or more. Why would I replace my nice watch that I paid big bucks for with a small Apple watch? Makes no sense to me.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pebble watch and I really enjoy it. I can see who is calling without pulling my phone out of my pocket. I can reject the call right from my watch, or pull out my phone and take the call. (I am doing this with an android phone... not sure what iOS allows).

I get text messages as well and other notifications too.

All and all... its a nice extension of a phone's notification system along with the ability to control your music app and running some other apps too. i.e. pedometer, speedometer, stop watch etc etc.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I am sure only a small percentage is asking for a 5" iPhone

I mentioned this in another thread once, but coming from a 4.3" Galaxy S2 to an 4" iPhone 5, the iPhone just 'feels' better and more secure when holding it, and the GS2 just feels unwieldy now. And this coming from someone who 'used' to make fun of the iPhone because of the small screen. I can't imagine trying to hold a 5" phone with one hand without worrying I'm going to drop it, Apple or otherwise. If I care that much about viewing content on a larger screen, that's what a nearby tablet is for.

And just to be proactive here, I have average sized hands, not tiny dainty ones that those of the 'bigger is ALWAYS better!' crowd seem to think.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple will choose to give you options if they feel the need to. It has already been stated by Cook "We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade offs exist."

Also to add, just because one small group wants options, that one small group is not the investment Apple wants to make.

the same way the iPad mini didn't replace the iPad, but just gave the consumer another option.
That's all we are asking for, another option.

The above was a investment the Apple choose to make.. But there again were some trade offs.. Just in the Tablet section...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As soon as there is a retina mini... I can see the mini overtaking the full sized iPad in sales. The 7-8 inch tablet is a sweet spot in tablets.

As far as the 5" iPhone goes.... I think it is folly for Apple to surrender the phablet market to Samsung. Too many (as in millions) of people like the larger form factor phone and would love to be on iOS with a phablet.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple will choose to give you options if they feel the need to. It has already been stated by Cook "We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade offs exist."

Also to add, just because one small group wants options, that one small group is not the investment Apple wants to make.

The above was a investment the Apple choose to make.. But there again were some trade offs.. Just in the Tablet section...

And as I mentioned before, the iPad mini was/is still profitable. Trade offs or not.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
As soon as there is a retina mini... I can see the mini overtaking the full sized iPad in sales. The 7-8 inch tablet is a sweet spot in tablets.

As far as the 5" iPhone goes.... I think it is folly for Apple to surrender the phablet market to Samsung. Too many (as in millions) of people like the larger form factor phone and would love to be on iOS with a phablet.

The term 'sweet spot' is relative. I personally think the iPad mini is too small for a tablet device, just as I feel that the current iPhone 5 is too small as well for a smartphone.
Apple needs to get off their high horse and open up more options to it's customer base.
I do agree that millions of people would in fact purchase a Apple phablet if given the opportunity.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Guessing you didn't fully understand my post.. I DID state that the Mini was and is a investment for Apple...

Apple would not be a Billion dollar company today, if they didn't know what they were doing, let's be realistic about it..

Will you have a 5" iPhone some day...? Yes maybe in 3-5 years or maybe not. Only Apple knows...

But as of right now consumers have a choice to go to another company and use a large device and OS...

And as I mentioned before, the iPad mini was/is still profitable. Trade offs or not.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods