The sacrifice is that I have to hold a device with a screen that big with two hands. I prefer one handed operation. It will be 10-20 more years before I can chop off my small girlish hands and replace them with larger manly robot hands.
    Agreed. I use my phone one handed about 90% of the time and the iPhone is big enough.
    04-26-2013 01:02 PM
    In what universe is a 5 inch 1080p screen with 441 PPI a sacrifice over a 4 inch 1136 x 640 screen with 326 PPI ?????
    Personal preference but Samsung uses pentile OLED screens and many people don't like the over-saturated color that they have.
    kch50428 likes this.
    04-26-2013 01:05 PM
    Agreed. I use my phone one handed about 90% of the time and the iPhone is big enough.
    I'm so happy for you and the rest of the tiny-handed people in the universe who use their phones with one hand.
    Regardless, it would still be unwise for Apple to ignore the millions of people who want bigger devices.
    There should be a 4" iPhone and a 5" iPhone available to the public. It would be a win/win for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    04-26-2013 01:09 PM
    I don't picture myself wanting an iWatch either, but I do think the functionality will be critical. I don't wear a watch now because I always have my phone for the time or other watch functions.

If it turns out to be like the pebble, then that could be good. I would like to glance at a notification in many situations without having to check my phone. Honestly, over the next decade, I think wearable technology will become more feasible and eventually accepted.

For all of the Google Glass naysayers, many of the same concerns that people had about privacy for Glass echoes what where heard about cell phone 15-20 years ago. This is the future.

On the other hand, Glass is hideously unattractive and I wouldn't be caught wearing it in public. So they need to have a company like apple find a way to make it attractive. Just saying...
    04-27-2013 11:29 AM
    On the other hand, Glass is hideously unattractive and I wouldn't be caught wearing it in public. So they need to have a company like apple find a way to make it attractive. Just saying...
    Like Nintendo and the Virtual Boy. Someone brought it back in the form of the 3DS XL. A much smaller, more portable and better looking device than the prototype that was originally rushed to market.

I was interested with the TV watch originally, but I never got one because I felt it was not ready yet for primetime, because the technology for it was not there. And now we can watch videos and vid-chat on portable devices that we couldn't have 10-20+ years ago. I feel that they could make something more as a prototype to see what is viable in such a product, even if it never leaves that stage.

Here is a question: How many people disregarded the Newton as they are saying so towards the iWatch, but bought the PDA's that became available? The Newton failed but those PDA's which were successful that also became phones prior to the iPhone, used the same recognition writing that came from the Newton. Also 3D in homes has come to where it is similar to Theatres, where those same glasses can be used, instead of those shutter-frames that need power.

Now my $.02: I am going to wait to pass my judgement on the iWatch if it ever reaches store-shelves.
    GGRRAAFT likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:16 AM
    I am kinda excited about the smartwatch (depending on price). I have just recently started to wear a watch again (New Balance watch to check pulse while working out) and have begun to appreciate the convenience of it (who knew?).

Depending on what functionality is included in the iWatch (creepy, stalkerish name), I could see it being very convenient - reading texts without taking phone out of pocket, walking directions, GPS routing for fitness, as well as music controls. In all honesty, I can see most functions of a phone (not internet obviously) being able to be handled by a watch and a bluetooth headset - phone calls, music, GPS navigation, calendar, siri, weather app, even a camera and some social media.... we will just have to see what Apple comes up with.

I would also love to see it take in the functions of the Jawbone Up. I had one of those (until it died), and it was nice to have it monitor my steps and wake me up with a vibration (so I didnt have to wake my wife up).
    04-29-2013 03:48 PM
    I don't feel any excitement at all over a smart watch. First, because I don't like to wear
    a watch. Second, I just find the whole idea of a smart watch coinciding with my phone
    to be stupid and gimmicky.
    04-29-2013 05:29 PM
    I don't feel any excitement at all over a smart watch. First, because I don't like to wear
    a watch. Second, I just find the whole idea of a smart watch coinciding with my phone
    to be stupid and gimmicky.
    I hear you, my friend......Hopefully, we're all in for a nice surprise.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:13 PM
    I wear a watch, but I prefer a more traditional timepiece and look. I have enough devices on me...don't need another one.

That said, the geek in me will want to check it out anyway if it ever comes out.
    04-29-2013 11:24 PM
    No interest in any kind of a smart watch.

For those arguing about screen size, it's inevitable Apple will verge off with a bigger iphone. Give it time. That line is their magic money/profit machine. But the needed increase in resolution affects a lot of things. I still think a 5" iphone is more probable than a retina ipad mini. The latter never seemed likely anytime soon and after the last quarter results, even less likely to happen.
    04-30-2013 08:37 AM
60 123