Is Scott Forstall the root cause of Apple's downfall?

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you think that the problems that Apple is facing today mainly caused by Scott Forstall? Was he too slow and reluctant in updating the iOS? So many iPhone users are complaining about the lack of customization, boring interface, and missing necessary stuffs like toggles for changing the screen brightness, etc. What do you guys think? Was it an excellent move that he got fired?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue that Apple is facing stems from what i perceive to be a deliberate and concerted effort to harm it because of its cash stockpile, and with the negative emphasis placed on the successful and the rich these days, certain people think they have a right to that cash or think they have a right to tell Apple what to do with it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm taking about other competitors are starting to catch up and that a lot of iOS users are swithching to Android/Windows phones.

Some of those users are switching for financial reasons and not because Apple isn't innovating or because they dislike iOS. Also, lets not forget that a lot of wireless providers are pressuring their employees to aggressively sell their stockpile of non-Apple devices because the longer a product is on the shelf its value decreases and the company loses money. Having said that, an argument can be made that Apple's competitors are benefitting from it being between product cycles and nothing more.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Competitive market and downfall are not always synonymous...and i don't think "downfall" is a properly used term in this scenario. Apple isn't having a downfall, they are simply being rivaled now in a market they solely lead for many years. Plateau might be a better word...because i can certainly agree that Apple's strong hold on the market is plateauing, but i don't think this is a surprise to the company or the share holders...if there's one thing you see in the consumer electronics market, it doesn't take long for other rivals to mimic and even "reinvent" (for lack of better term) a product you essentially brought to popular view.

Apple isn't failing, they just arnt WAY out in the lead anymore, and that's primarily because they're not alone anymore on all fronts (phone, mp3, tablet, PC). Soon though, they'll venture into another realm, and they'll regain control in a broad sense...and even with the very competitive market, they still find themselves (most times) as front runners (though companies more easily nip at their heels these days).

Downfall is such an inaccurate terminology...Palm was a downfall, Blackberry LOOKS like it's still heading in that direction...there are others, and i think you get the point.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Stronger competition, high-end smartphone market growth slowing and margins decrease (58% to 40%), that puts investing pressure on the stock so you've seen some pullback there. Still way above Samsung margins in the 25% range. But even at $400, it's still a solid value and $20/share dividends is great. Once they move into the lower end smartphone market and TVs, it will just be two more markets that they will be a leader in which will improve growth and hopefully margins as well. Apple has great loyalty among consumers which many companies would kill for.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Do you think that the problems that Apple is facing today mainly caused by Scott Forstall? Was he too slow and reluctant in updating the iOS? So many iPhone users are complaining about the lack of customization, boring interface, and missing necessary stuffs like toggles for changing the screen brightness, etc. What do you guys think? Was it an excellent move that he got fired?

I think there is a big difference between "downfall" and not meeting the sales expectations of a bunch of guys who sit behind a computer all day and "analyze" markets.

When Apple closes the doors on it's retail stores and you can no longer buy an Apple product then ask me about their "downfall".

I am but a simple scientist but I don't see how a company that brings in billions in profit every quarter is in a "downfall".

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's a downfall happening. As millions of more people switch to smartphones, some will go to other platforms. Apple is doing just fine. They are still selling millions and making one of the best mobile experiences out there. Forstall was not a problem, some people just didn't like his style.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a Conspiracy! So say the "conspiracy theorists."

I stand by my 'opinion' that after it was learned that Apple had billions of dollars in stockpile cash, the doom & gloom tactic against the company began. On the one hand, people complain that Apple has too much money and should rid itself of some of its stockpiled cash and on the other hand, people are complaining that Apple is missing out on a great deal of money by not selling a phablet size iPhone. #smh

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a big difference between "downfall" and not meeting the sales expectations of a bunch of guys who sit behind a computer all day and "analyze" markets.

When Apple closes the doors on it's retail stores and you can no longer buy an Apple product then ask me about their "downfall".

I am but a simple scientist but I don't see how a company that brings in billions in profit every quarter is in a "downfall".

Downfall is clearly the wrong word but they did give me back over $200 Billion in Market Cap.....which they may get back very soon

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ask Apple if they are in a downfall. Then ask BlackBerry or Palm or Handspring about their opinion of a company downfall. Last I checked, profits in the billions, BILLIONS, is still pretty darn good.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's just the "in" thing to do these... Bash Apple... Because you know... 9.5 billion... That's just not good enough...

It's getting to the point of pathetic... Volatility based on these nobody anal(c)ysts is out of hand and nauseating.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People always want to see failure in the front runners of anything...sports, politics, business...it's just the nature of some humans, they can't stand to see an entity succeeding without some kind of input on what they are doing "wrong". Screaming for change in a system that is working quite well...I'd assume attempted sabotage but most of the opinions in that nature are so asinine that I can't see it stemming that deeply.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro