Former Apple Maps Manager Richard Williamson Hired By Facebook

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
THIS is an excerpt from the Business Insider.

"Williamson's LinkedIn
profile offers one clue to verify the report. While it still says he works for Apple, there's an endorsement from Scott Goodson, iOS Tech Lead at Facebook, who used to report to him at Apple."

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple Maps is an absolutely flawless effort compared to how terrible Facebook is most times, so I'm sure he'll bring something positive to their development.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Latest FaceBook update added some extra fluff, but as always it still crashes..... They need to address priorities, rather then adding.....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup...and that little "bubble" messages notification thing is kind of a pain, it would have been nice if they would have given a little brief "How to close" for the new "feature".

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This will be great for Facebook on iOS. Apple Maps is an awesome app that just lacks data. Imagine what Facebook will look like, and it already has the active content that Apple was missing in maps. This is exciting news.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
No one said that. All I said was Apple Maps is terrible. Yes Google Maps along with other navigation companies are far far far better.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A vehemently disagree with your opinion/assessment of Apple's Maps. It has worked fine for me whenever I've used it. Google's maps on iOS is worse in my actual, real world use of both.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
LMAO!!!!! Classic. I for some reason just can't believe this statement. But if you say so ill have to believe you I mean why would you lie right?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
A vehemently disagree with your opinion/assessment of Apple's Maps. It has worked fine for me whenever I've used it. Google's maps on iOS is worse in my actual, real world use of both.

I'm curious, what exactly have you used it for that you found it so flawless? My experience has been the opposite.

- Try looking for 1 Battery Park Plaza, NY NY (my company's home office in a major office building in Manhattan), it can't find it. This is not some podunk address that no one uses either. If you search by company name, it places it in a building around the corner from the actual office.

- in Google Maps, I can find my home address by inputting (numbers changed for privacy) '1234 168 Ct'. Doing the same search on Apple Maps, places my house about two miles north of it's actual location. However, if I input my street as '168th Ct', it finds it. That's just silly.

The 3D satellite function is very pretty, I will admit that. However in real use application in ways that actually matter to me, the app is just plain bad. The heavily tinted rose colored you use to view this app just doesn't match up with mine, Tim Cook's, and pretty much the entire tech world's experience.

I'm not an Apple basher, or else I wouldn't have converted from an Android phone and tablet to an Apple phone and tablet. That being said, trying to claim that Apple Maps is wonderful and everyone else is either out to get Apple or just being exaggerating is simply ignoring reality. It's bad. Period. Except for maybe you, I guess you're the one lucky one.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
P.S. Are you going to lock this thread now too because someone doesn't think Apple Maps is the greatest creation ever?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious, what exactly have you used it for that you found it so flawless? My experience has been the opposite.
I've used Apple maps on my iPhone side by side with Navigon on my iPad and a Garmin Nuvi765t on a day trip from my home in North Iowa into S. MN, and SW Wisconsin - very rural areas - and all 3 were very comparable in my use and experience. Guided me to all my selected locations without issues.

- in Google Maps, I can find my home address by inputting (numbers changed for privacy) '1234 168 Ct'. Doing the same search on Apple Maps, places my house about two miles north of it's actual location. However, if I input my street as '168th Ct', it finds it. That's just silly.
Guess what... variations in what you input to search on gives differing results on my Garmin Nuvi too - does that mean my Nuvi is "Bad"?? And I've had issues like that with Google Maps too... so it to is bad too...
That being said, trying to claim that Apple Maps is wonderful and everyone else is either out to get Apple or just being exaggerating is simply ignoring reality. It's bad.
Apple maps is nowhere near as bad as Apple hating/Android loving bloggers and those who believe them have made it out to be.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've used Apple maps on my iPhone side by side with Navigon on my iPad and a Garmin Nuvi765t on a day trip from my home in North Iowa into S. MN, and SW Wisconsin - very rural areas - and all 3 were very comparable in my use and experience. Guided me to all my selected locations without issues.

Guess what... variations in what you input to search on gives differing results on my Garmin Nuvi too - does that mean my Nuvi is "Bad"?? And I've had issues like that with Google Maps too... so it to is bad too...
Apple maps is nowhere near as bad as Apple hating/Android loving bloggers and those who believe them have made it out to be.

That's my point.

I'm not an Apple hating/Android loving blogger. I've actually converted from Android back to iOS. That being said, my experience is that it is indeed as bad as it's been made out to be.

Not to mention, Google maps doesn't make me have to put in the exact variation of my home address to find my house. I don't have to think about correct diction and subscript when trying to find an address, whereas Apple Maps forces me to do that. That's not a good user experience.

And I still want to see if someone else can find 1 Battery Park Plaza from their Apple maps. I've tried all sorts of variations with no results. Not being snarky, I genuinely want to see if someone else can do this.