Former Apple Maps Manager Richard Williamson Hired By Facebook

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And I still want to see if someone else can find 1 Battery Park Plaza from their Apple maps. I've tried all sorts of variations with no results. Not being snarky, I genuinely want to see if someone else can do this.

I started entering "1 Battery" -- and among the things that popped up was "1 Battery Pl"... tapped that... took me right to a place in NY, NY with a Citibank at street level.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I started entering "1 Battery" -- and among the things that popped up was "1 Battery Pl"... tapped that... took me right to a place in NY, NY with a Citibank at street level.

Close, but not quite. That's 1 Battery Place, which is around the corner from 1 Battery Plaza.

Do a search for each in Google Maps to see the different locations and how they relate to each other.

Heck, I've even gone to my company's website, and did a straight copy and paste of the address on their site:
One Battery Park Plaza
New York, New York 10004-1482

Adding the zip code gets '1-19 Bowling Grn', which is still off by about 200ft to the north. Taking out the zip code gets "no results found". (removing the zip code in Google Maps still finds it accurately)

Using Apple Maps would suck for someone trying to find the location for a delivery, or a job interview.

Last edited:

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Try entering the address as 1 BATTERY PARK PLZ

That's the way the U.S. Postal Service identifies the address.

Sent from somewhere

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This keeps getting funnier.

I search for my company by name in Maps. It locates it, lists the address at 1 Battery Park Plaza, but places the pin at 1 Battery Place, around the corner.

Further, if you search for the address it lists for the company to the letter, it still cannot find it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I got the same results and I've even zoomed in to 3D mode and couldn't find it. Still, not finding that one address does not render Apple Maps useless in the general sense because a great deal of others, myself included, are able to locate everything we seek for our needs without a problem. Furthermore, I've posted a few months back how Google Maps, of which I am a fan of, sent me to a location other than what I entered and Apple Maps saved the day for me. I suppose some areas are more affected than others. Know what I mean?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the same results and I've even zoomed in to 3D mode and couldn't find it. Still, not finding that one address does not render Apple Maps useless in the general sense because a great deal of others, myself included, are able to locate everything we seek for our needs without a problem. Furthermore, I've posted a few months back how Google Maps, of which I am a fan of, sent me to a location other than what I entered and Apple Maps saved the day for me. I suppose some areas are more affected than others. Know what I mean?

Getting downtown Manhattan wrong does not inspire confidence in the reliability of Apple products, which are supposed to have the reputation of working correctly.

Imagine if you got a job interview here (one of the nation's top law firms are in this building, I can private message the name to you if you want to verify), and not being a techie, you don't know about the accuracy issues with Apple Maps. You take your iPhone, and try to look for where you job interview is located at so you can get there on time. You have no reason to have to try to verify with another map app, because you shouldn't have to. Apple's products just work, right? That's the quality standard they hold themselves to.

No matter what you do, you cannot find the place. You don't make your interview in time, and don't get the job.

You find some Apple forums and ask about this Maps app that couldn't find the location of a very tall skyscraper in downtown Manhattan, and you get in reply:

"Apple Maps are great, it's issues are overblown by Android fanboys. Though I suppose some areas are less accurate than others".

Apple - It Just Works

Do you understand the point I'm trying to make here? "Oh well, I guess that major metropolitan areas are inaccurate, but the app is fine. It's just bitter Apple haters who have problems with it" - doesn't make any sense.

It still to this day does not meet Apple's quality standards. Tim Cook did not apologize for it just because he felt like it. Shrugging one's shoulders and going "oh well, get used to it, but it's still the best" doesn't cut it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What do you want? Address resolution to the nearest centimeter?

I firmly believe that I, one who's never been to NY, NY... could use Apple Maps and find your office easily for an appointment at a time-certain... because I would time my arrival to the place where Apple maps directed me with plenty of leeway to spare if I had to walk around a corner to get to the exact door needed... smh...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
What do you want? Address resolution to the nearest centimeter?

You're just being silly now trying to defend the indefensible.

How about address resolution...period? Remember, we can't find this address AT ALL. If I want to be greedy, maybe find it to the nearest half block (which works with neither this address nor my home).

I firmly believe that I, one who's never been to NY, NY... could use Apple Maps and find your office easily for an appointment at a time-certain... because I would time my arrival to the place where Apple maps directed me with plenty of leeway to spare if I had to walk around a corner to get to the exact door needed... smh...

And that's good enough for an Apple product, right? I thought lesser quality accuracy and functionality was reserved for non-Apple products. Is this how far Apple has fallen, having to be content with "eh, you got within a half mile, you should be happy with that."?

edit: furthermore, using Google Maps I don't have to ask around for the address because it puts me directly on target the first time. "But Apple Maps is still better because it's 'close enough'!".....right.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're just being silly now trying to defend the indefensible.

Nope. Just realistic. If a Map app, no matter who made it - got me to a point where I can easily find and arrive at the ultimate destination, it has done its job. I'm satisfied with that. Even if that ultimate destination is across the street, or down the block, or around a corner from where the map says it is... because I'm not one that demands any better from any mapping device (like a Garmin stand alone device) or any app I've ever used - because I know none are as perfect as you would like them to be. NONE.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's my thing...you have a bad experience with Apple Maps not working properly for you, not being as precise as you'd like it to be. What about people (like myself) who use it regularly and don't have these kinds of issues. To be totally honest, it was incredibly accurate and 100% useful when i took a trip to Boston recently, and only had a few issues finding stuff when we visited some family in a more rural part of New Hampshire. Atlanta is flawless thus far, and I've used to pretty much from the border of Tennessee to the border of Florida and i haven't found any issue yet.

Does my experience reflect everyone? Surely not...it probably doesn't even reflect MOST people. That said, just because you have experienced poor performance from it doesn't mean everyone has, nor does it mean that when someone defends it for working properly that their either using it wrong or don't know what their talking about. That's the tone received when people see that some people enjoy using it...the "You're full of sh*t" response when the reality is, they've been using it just fine!

Furthermore, the whole attitude towards Apple as some kind of floundering company because of it (within the discussion)...really? Iol...pointing out flaws with software and devices is like fish in a barrel in just about every direction you look from this point, which makes it funny to me when people go "Is this what we can expect from Apple?"...I mean lets face it, even non-Apple fans can agree, they don't have a lot of faults in this nature.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't understand how anyone can defend Apple Maps at this stage in its development. The point is Apple put out a half baked product for its maps app to customers expecting a fully developed and operational application. They should not have abandoned Google Maps so soon. They just made a bad decision point blank. Stop trying to defend them. They were wrong and that's that lol. It isn't really even debatable.

I would love to see the numbers as the how may people have downloaded Google Maps and uses it compared to Apple Maps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR