iPhone 5 is still drawing a crowd...Tmobile pre-orderers lining up.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile Begins $99 iPhone 5 Sales, Sees Lines At Retail Stores | TechCrunch

lol...the iPhone 5 is now over 6 months old, it has a replacement close on the horizon and both Samsung and Blackberry have just released new devices, and people are still lining up for the iPhone 5. Tell me again how Apple is in trouble?

3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile Begins $99 iPhone 5 Sales, Sees Lines At Retail Stores | TechCrunch

lol...the iPhone 5 is now over 6 months old, it has a replacement close on the horizon and both Samsung and Blackberry have just released new devices, and people are still lining up for the iPhone 5. Tell me again how Apple is in trouble?

http://bookriot.com/wp-content/uplo...ated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif

Sean, don't you know that because Apple is not "innovating", it is in real trouble of losing customers to Samsung and other phone makers. :) That notion alone trumps any and all "facts" to the contrary. C'mon man, get with the program...:D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...i still love that, what the F' is "innovation" these days anyways? A huge, crystal clear screen? Whooptie doo, everyone has a device with that (even Apple and the iPad Mini). Everything is light and thin and nice looking...all the top dog phones have nice cameras, and they all connect to the internet in one blazingly fast speed or another. They all have huge app stores (except blackberry and windows lol), and they're all more customizable than anyone can really use fully. So where's the innovation that anyone is doing?

So what's innovating? Software? Bullsh*t...you can put cool software on a cheap smart phone, and that's not innovating, that's slapping lipstick on a pig. These companies are using a working (for now) formula that makes them filthy rich, and Apple sits on top of that food chain because the iPhone sells like hotcakes regardless of how old it is or what carrier sells it.

They arnt innovating, they are capitalizing.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
lol...i still love that, what the F' is "innovation" these days anyways? A huge, crystal clear screen? Whooptie doo, everyone has a device with that (even Apple and the iPad Mini). Everything is light and thin and nice looking...all the top dog phones have nice cameras, and they all connect to the internet in one blazingly fast speed or another. They all have huge app stores (except blackberry and windows lol), and they're all more customizable than anyone can really use fully. So where's the innovation that anyone is doing?

So what's innovating? Software? Bullsh*t...you can put cool software on a cheap smart phone, and that's not innovating, that's slapping lipstick on a pig. These companies are using a working (for now) formula that makes them filthy rich, and Apple sits on top of that food chain because the iPhone sells like hotcakes regardless of how old it is or what carrier sells it.

They arnt innovating, they are capitalizing.

That last sentence sums my main criticisms of Apple at present.
Their iPhone range is not only too narrow, their's is a "one size fits all" approach. The iPhone 5 screen is no wider than the original iPhone's screen 6 years ago.
It's interesting that you mentioned the iPad mini, a device they said that the customer didn't want and one that they would never make.
The 2 new phablets that Samsung announced this week look interesting, too big for me but I think that they may resonate with some customers. Different customers have different requirements and Apple have been able to get away with pushing the customer in just one direction, but for how much longer?
Apple could take the iPod Touch, which shares the same screen as the iPhone 5, add in 3G connectivity and GPS and produce a new iPhone that would still be around half the price of an iPhone 5. I know your opposition to this already, you have previously said that the iPhone is a "luxury" product and that Apple are not in the business of making devices for "lower class buyers".
I have just seen a tv commercial where the only app available for the service advertised was for the iPhone., a "luxury" phone that is not for "lower class buyers". Apple have been able to get away with it so far, but I'm sure that the market will catch up with them if they continue to go for capitalisation over innovation if they stick to just one expensive current phone with the smallest screen in it's class and the oldest operating system, whilst creaming huge margins and profits off the customer.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Their iPhone range is not only too narrow, their's is a "one size fits all" approach. The iPhone 5 screen is no wider than the original iPhone's screen 6 years ago.
It's interesting that you mentioned the iPad mini, a device they said that the customer didn't want and one that they would never make.
The 2 new phablets that Samsung announced this week look interesting, too big for me but I think that they may resonate with some customers. Different customers have different requirements and Apple have been able to get away with pushing the customer in just one direction, but for how much longer?
Apple could take the iPod Touch, which shares the same screen as the iPhone 5, add in 3G connectivity and GPS and produce a new iPhone that would still be around half the price of an iPhone 5. I know your opposition to this already, you have previously said that the iPhone is a "luxury" product and that Apple are not in the business of making devices for "lower class buyers".
I have just seen a tv commercial where the only app available for the service advertised was for the iPhone., a "luxury" phone that is not for "lower class buyers". Apple have been able to get away with it so far, but I'm sure that the market will catch up with them if they continue to go for capitalisation over innovation if they stick to just one expensive current phone whilst creaming huge margins and profits off the customer.

The facts still remain that you do not have to purchase any product you don't like and Apple is not obligated to cater to anyone's specifications. Like any business, it offers products and/or services at a profit and their products and services are not designed for or to please everyone.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from Tmobile with my parents, they each got an iPhone 5. They've been with Tmobile since it was Voicestream wireless way back.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

So it's just Apple to you? Does your criticism track from Apple to every other manufacturer? Because they're all following the same path.

Saying Apple is going to have to change is saying that the entire industry is going to have to change. Nobody is innovating.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Funny you mention that.

I went from an iPhone 3G to a Galaxy S2. I used to just roll my eyes Apple's claim that the iphone's size was set for easy one handed operation.

Then I went to an iPhone 5 (work issued), which is now my primary phone though I still have the personal GS2.

Now when I pick up my old GS2, it just feels way too wide and unwieldy to use with one hand, whereas the 5 feels 'just right' in my hand (I'd guess that I have 'average' sized hands).

I have to begrudgingly admit, Apple was right on this one.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Sean, don't you know that because Apple is not "innovating", it is in real trouble of losing customers to Samsung and other phone makers. :) That notion alone trumps any and all "facts" to the contrary. C'mon man, get with the program...:D

I have to wonder, how much more can we really 'innovate' on smart phones without resorting to gimmicks (with any phone)?

Speaking assistant responding to voice commands (Siri/Google Now)? Check
High definition camera/video recorder? Check
Ability to do pretty much ANYTHING with your phone? Check

The only room for innovation that I really see as being plausible in the future would be either in bio-metrics, or really being able to use the phone as a mobile payment system. Android tried to get the party started with Google Wallet, but hasn't seen widespread adoption yet (a shame, because I like the idea). Maybe if Apple joins the game, it will become more commonplace on both platforms.

Maybe expanding the uses of NFC in a phone could have room for more innovation. Again, maybe Apple can spur more widespread adoption if they incorporate it into their phone.

I think the bigger thing to focus on (in addition to the above) is polishing the OS and shoring up weak areas as such. Many of the suggestions in the 'what do you want to see in iOS7?' threads we have here are a good start, like actionable notifications, easier access to common toggles, and expansion of cross app communications - all of which are strengths of Android but a big weakness of iOS. Shore these up, and it will be in a much better position for more radical changes down the road, perhaps.

Just my two cents. And this is of course ignoring any future rumored products such as watches, TV's, etc.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
what we need is a blackberry loyalist to chime in on this thread

New Z10 owner here :). But I'm also a new iPod Touch 5G owner, so I guess that evens out?

I personally was a LITTLE put off at all the attention T-Mo was giving the iPhone 5. I live in Kansas City, where T-Mo has lit up there LTE network. I think ALL devices with LTE capabilities should be showcased right now - the Note 2, the Z10, and the iPhone 5.

Loony4Fruit

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Most people are not tech nerds and on forums discussing this stuff. The iphone is in their eyes still the pinnacle of what a smartphone should be. No surprise that people are still lining up for it. I have friends who just got an iPhone as their first smartphone recently and they're completely enthralled by it.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have just seen a tv commercial where the only app available for the service advertised was for the iPhone., a "luxury" phone that is not for "lower class buyers". Apple have been able to get away with it so far, but I'm sure that the market will catch up with them if they continue to go for capitalisation over innovation if they stick to just one expensive current phone with the smallest screen in it's class and the oldest operating system, whilst creaming huge margins and profits off the customer.

Multiple screen sizes and crappy flair features may be innovation to some people, like the clown waitstaff of the gimmick restaurants. None of that equates to a good meal, good service, or good recommendation from me. "The food was blah, but man did our waiter have a lot of buttons and whizz bangs." Give me a folding chair and a picnic table, with a world class chef, and I'll be satisfied. I appreciate the courage not to chase a fad.
As i see innovation, its bigger than a new color or size, or even resolution. Much respect is due to and nothing against the marvel and army of geniuses that brought retina display, but thats not innovative. The original iPhone was an innovation, the tacked on features that followed, even up until the iPhone 5 have just been improvements on it.
Opinions are like.... So there is mine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods