How Fragile Your 6.1.2 Jailbreak Really Is...

5kylar

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
So I just wanted to post this to let anyone who may be uninformed (Like myself up until last night) know just how fragile your jailbreaks are so you don't screw yours up and end up with nothing on 6.1.3.

So here's what happened to me...

Last night I decided I didn't like the wallpaper gradient anymore and I attempted many ways of trying to accomplish removing it. The little bugger wouldn't leave no matter what I tried. So I finally broke down and broke out good old Winterboard. I got a theme off Cydia claiming to be iOS 5.x and 6.x compatible that would remove it. (I doubt it was the theme itself and rather how it interacted with my iPhone that caused the next event) So I applied my new theme in Winterboard and pushed respring.. Doesn't the little $h!t brick up on me!

3 and a half hrs later...

So I've tried everything at this point to unbrick my poor iPhone (You know your getting desperate when your on the 4th page of Google) Nothing. Couldn't force safe mode, rebooting obviously wasn't helping, and any attempts to SHH or iFunbox failed miserably.

So after a heartpounding restore (I was just waiting for some stupid iTunes error saying "We can't restore your phone, your SOL" lol) I finally got it up and running again on the dreaded 6.1.3.

So In short it can be something as simple as a transparent png image from a Winterboard theme that does you in and messes up your precious Jailbreaks. I just hope that by posting this here I can at least let a few people learn from my stupidity ;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope others will learn from it as well. Take care and enjoy your day...:)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
sorry to hear your story but the 4th page of google had me in tears.....that's funny and sad cause I've been there

that said it seems you will have to wait with the rest of us for the new break :-(

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this is EXACTLY why anyone should NOT depend on their jailbreak (A5+)

it's always been a cat and mouse game and Apple is starting to gain a slight edge

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
this is EXACTLY why anyone should NOT depend on their jailbreak (A5+)

it's always been a cat and mouse game and Apple is starting to gain a slight edge

I get real paranoid about growing to like certain jailbreak features that I create this fear of losing
them because of stuff like this. I went ahead a couple of weeks ago and updated to 6.1.3 so I
wouldn't feel this way anymore.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I still don't get why Apple is so vehemently against jail breaking. They don't own the device when it's sold, the consumer does, and they should be free to do with it as they wish.

I like approach of some Android manufacturers which basically goes: "As long as you realize that your warranty is void and you expect no support for your hack job, then knock yourself out."

It's the consumer's device, not Apple's.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I still don't get why Apple is so vehemently against jail breaking. They don't own the device when it's sold, the consumer does, and they should be free to do with it as they wish.

I like approach of some Android manufacturers which basically goes: "As long as you realize that your warranty is void and you expect no support for your hack job, then knock yourself out."

It's the consumer's device, not Apple's.

I agree to a point, but let's face it. If someone with malicious intent interjected devious code into a popular jailbreak tweak or app that affected thousands of jailbroken devices, it will be reported that millions of iPhone & iPad owners are at risk and Apple is not working fast enough to fix the problem, etcetera. The focus would not be on the fact that the affected devices were jailbroken.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree to a point, but let's face it. If someone with malicious intent interjected devious code into a popular jailbreak tweak or app that affected thousands of jailbroken devices, it will be reported that millions of iPhone & iPad owners are at risk and Apple is not working fast enough to fix the problem, etcetera. The focus would not be on the fact that the affected devices were jailbroken.

Ehhhhhh....I have to begrudgingly admit that you're probably correct.

I don't like it, but it makes sense from their perspective. I just don't like the fact that Apple cares more about the image of their user experience over letting people do what they want with devices they own.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't like it, but it makes sense from their perspective. I just don't like the fact that Apple cares more about the image of their user experience over letting people do what they want with devices they own.

It's probably more of them protecting themselves and the closes system stance that they've embraced. Every tech enthusiast knows that Apple does not advocate an open system like Android prior to buying Apple devices so why get upset when Apple take steps to correct exploits to their operating system? They are not prosecuting those who discover ways to jailbreak and thus, it can be argued that they are privately supportive of people jailbreaking their devices even though they officially maintain a closed system.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The bottom line here is that the safety of the ecosystem is more important to FAR more people in Apple's consumer base than the ability to customize the phone itself in a way that might present an non-secure environment. This has been many times before, but the amount of people who want the customization that you, me and many others do is so small, it barely blips on their radar when it comes to priorities. It's unfortunate but as a widely used consumer product, they have to appease the majority like any business, and sometimes that means limiting the lesser demand.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73