48% of U.S. teens own an iPhone. 62% plan to buy one.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
What grade do you teach? Just trying to get an idea of the demographics.

High school. The group in question contains teens ranging from 14-18. We are a magnet school, so they come from all over. I'm not so naive as to believe a city-wide sample is inadequate.

andrialove123

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I think that teens are really strict and conserned about their cell phones. If they thin theyre phone is "geeky" they wont bother taking it to school. If they have an Iphone there is ABSOLUTELY no problem.

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Around this area at all the local sporting events and coffee shops every teen I see has an iPhone, every once in a while il see a galaxy s3 note 2 or some sort of droid but its rare.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I think that teens are really strict and conserned about their cell phones. If they thin theyre phone is "geeky" they wont bother taking it to school. If they have an Iphone there is ABSOLUTELY no problem.

Teens have their phones with them 24/7, no matter what they own. They'd rather be called names than miss a text.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you not see that clumping all of the iterations of Android together as if they were from one specific company against the other OSes with no iterations is being biased?

It isn't very biased. In that case, you're comparing operating systems, not manufacturers. Samsung isn't an OS. Neither is HTC. So why separate them? I'm sure if there were three manufacturers making iOS devices, iOS' market share wouldn't triple. Because many people choose phones because of OS, not manufacturer. Or sometimes neither.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It isn't very biased. In that case, you're comparing operating systems, not manufacturers. Samsung isn't an OS. Neither is HTC. So why separate them? I'm sure if there were three manufacturers making iOS devices, iOS' market share wouldn't triple. Because many people choose phones because of OS, not manufacturer. Or sometimes neither.

No. You know what I was clearly saying. If the pure Google experience or any "one" skinned version was all that were on the various Android manufacturer's devices then the referenced poll would be legitimate and unbiased, in my opinion. As it stands right now, HTC Sense, Motorola Blur (or whatever the heck they're calling it these days), Samsung TouchWiz and Google's pure experience are all lumped together as being the same even though they are not and should be represented separately in the poll like iOS, blackberry and the others.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
No. You know what I was clearly saying. If the pure Google experience or any "one" skinned version was all that were on the various Android manufacturer's devices then the referenced poll would be legitimate and unbiased, in my opinion. As it stands right now, HTC Sense, Motorola Blur (or whatever the heck they're calling it these days), Samsung TouchWiz and Google's pure experience are all lumped together as being the same even though they are not and should be represented separately in the poll like iOS, blackberry and the others.

Then by your logic, shouldn't jailbroken iPhones be separated as well? The skins from Android manufacturers are just cosmetic. The underlying OS tying them all together is Android.

Sent from somewhere

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Then by your logic, shouldn't jailbroken iPhones be separated as well? The skins from Android manufacturers are just cosmetic. The underlying OS tying them all together is Android.

Sent from somewhere

Don't agree about jailbroken phones. It's still Apple.

But do agree about android. In comparing OS's they should be lumped together. It IS android. But more and more like JustMeD is saying, folks like Samsung are forking enough to where it IS starting to branch off. If you want the experience you have on an S4, you can't just get an HTC One.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site

But do agree about android. In comparing OS's they should be lumped together. It IS android. But more and more like JustMeD is saying, folks like Samsung are forking enough to where it IS starting to branch off. If you want the experience you have on an S4, you can't just get an HTC One.

I see your point. As of now, if you want to download a program, all Android phones, no matter what skin they use, get their downloads from one source, the Google Play store. Google Play does not break out variations of programs based on what skin your phone is using. It's all Android. Until Samsung or any other Android manufacturer makes it so that their phones no longer support Google Play, then all Android phones should be counted as supporting the same OS.

Sent from somewhere

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

The skins (MotoBlur, Sense, etc.) are a tad more than cosmetic because they are the associated with specific entities. You cannot and will not buy a Galaxy S3 from a Samsung store or service provider that comes preloaded with HTC Sense and vice versa. But yes, you are correct that they all are indeed Android devices, but for the sake of arguing the results of the aforementioned poll, it's like comparing the sale of ice cream from Baskin & Robbins that comes in 30-plus flavors to several companies that specializes in one specific flavor. I hope that made sense...:)...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Exactly, and thank you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I see your point. As of now, if you want to download a program, all Android phones, no matter what skin they use, get their downloads from one source, the Google Play store. Google Play does not break out variations of programs based on what skin your phone is using. It's all Android. Until Samsung or any other Android manufacturer makes it so that their phones no longer support Google Play, then all Android phones should be counted as supporting the same OS.

Sent from somewhere

I do see your point, by the way....;)

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The skins (MotoBlur, Sense, etc.) are a tad more than cosmetic because they are the associated with specific entities. You cannot and will not buy a Galaxy S3 from a Samsung store or service provider that comes preloaded with HTC Sense and vice versa. But yes, you are correct that they all are indeed Android devices, but for the sake of arguing the results of the aforementioned poll, it's like comparing the sale of ice cream from Baskin & Robbins that comes in 30-plus flavors to several companies that specializes in one specific flavor. I hope that made sense...:)...

Point taken. I guess I see an Android phone is an Android phone, no matter how much the manufacturers attempt to distinguish their brand from each other. If Google Play had different app sections for phones running Sense, Blur, and Touchwiz then I would be more in agreement with you. But the single BBC News app I download from Google Play works on all three skins, hence my reasoning. But I do welcome all points of view. :)

Sent from somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW, because of Android's open environment, you can put an HTC Sense style clock and weather widget on a phone running TouchWiz through third party skin programs. So, there are elements of proprietary skins that can be copied and used between manufacturers.

Sent from somewhere

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
BTW, because of Android's open environment, you can put an HTC Sense style clock and weather widget on a phone running TouchWiz through third party skin programs. So, there are elements of proprietary skins that can be copied and used between manufacturers.

Sent from somewhere

Now that is very true ... :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

They get their downloads from Google Play, Amazon, or several other places. Very different than iOS where you have iTunes unless you're jailbroken, which gives you a second source in Cydia.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
But can they be copied without permission without violating copyright laws? [HINT - the answer is no]

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
But can they be copied without permission without violating copyright laws? [HINT - the answer is no]

I'm talking about apps like Beautiful Widgets, which has a Sense-like flip clock and weather widget. It's not a direct copy of the HTC Sense clock, but it does allow someone with a Samsung phone to enjoy an imitation of an HTC Sense design element.

Sent from somewhere

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
They get their downloads from Google Play, Amazon, or several other places. Very different than iOS where you have iTunes unless you're jailbroken, which gives you a second source in Cydia.

That may be true, though I have never tried to download apps from Amazon onto my HTC phone. I actually didn't think that was possible. I tend to stick with the "mother ship", so to speak, and download all my apps from Google Play.

Sent from somewhere