48% of U.S. teens own an iPhone. 62% plan to buy one.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
http://www.piperjaffray.com/private/pdf/Taking_Stock_Teach-in_Spring_2013_MV_2.pdf

The key findings:
  • 91% of teens say they plan to buy a smartphone for their next high-tech device, up from 86% last spring and 90% last fall
  • 59% of teens say they are likely to buy an iOS device (unchanged from fall) and 21% are likely to buy an Android device (was 20%)
  • Among high-income families, the iOS preference rises to 70%
  • 48% of teens already own an iPhone, compared with 40% last fall
  • 62% of teens plan on making an iPhone their next mobile device (flat vs. fall 2012)
  • 23% expect to buy an Android phone, up from from 22% last fall
  • 51% already own a tablet, up from 44% last fall
  • Among teens who own tablets, 68% own iPads, down from 72%
  • 17% of teens plan on buying a tablet in the next 6 months (vs. 20% Fall 2012)
  • 68% plan to buy an iPad (54% full size/14% Mini)

Yep... the denizens of other platforms who keep coming here to tell us Apple is doomed are right... </sarcasm> :D

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Piper Jaffray's track record shows their statistics reflect reality rather well...

Agreed kch....additionally just saw the following that proves MS, BB are doing a lousy job of marketing

61% of those polled were unaware WP8 was released
6% of those polled thought BB10 Z10 or Q10 would be a buying option for them

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
61% of those polled were unaware WP8 was released
6% of those polled thought BB10 Z10 or Q10 would be a buying option for them

Android user here who picked an iPhone for her mother. I don't know about Windows Phone or BlackBerry but will try to give you my perspective on the Android vs. iOS debate.

Pros of Android - At the time I signed up for a smartphone, only Android offered 4G LTE. iPhone was still only 3G. So I chose Android. At that time, the Galaxy Nexus was brand new so I bought the newest device. Well, once I entered the world of unlocked bootloaders and rooting and rom'ing, there was no turning back.

Cons of Android - it's not Google's bread-and-butter product and there are hiccups that affect my phone's performance as a phone. For instance, the latest update 4.2.2, it literally broke the bluetooth so that my bluetooth headset is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting from the phone and sometimes has to be repaired (albeit not while on a call). That would never happen with an Apple iOS update. And it is annoying to the point it almost makes the unlocking, rooting and rom'ing not worth it.

Another Con of Android - I have a gmail account that I use for my real email and use Chrome as my browser and I worry about all of the info Google is collecting on me. So much so, I want to get rid of my gmail account. Google Now is nice, but it comes at the price of a whole helluva lot of data being stored by Google about me. I am uncomfortable with that.

iPhone Pros - iOS user interface (until recent jelly bean 4.2.2 update) is smoother. This is a product of design philosophy and that the integration Apple has between the hardware and software is superior because they are one company instead of Google working with multiple hardware manufactures, all of whom have their own skins to slap on top of the Android OS (except if you have a Nexus device), and the iPhone is a core product of Apple unlike Android, which is just a vehicle for Google to collect information and sell advertising. The iPhone being a core product of Apple is huge in terms of their willingness/ability to devote resources to it and devoting resources means better quality assurance.

Cons of iPhone - it works well, but it is locked down more so than Android and customizing isn't near as easy nor as deep/broad. There are also some built-in hacks to android, like the ability to get free WiFi hostpot on Android without root, whereas it requires jailbreaking an iPhone. Since the iPhone is a core product of Apple and the carriers subsidize the iPhone, Apple is more in bed with the carriers than Google, which is actively fighting the carriers as is evidence by the Nexus 4 unlocked pricing.

At the end of the day, none of these companies are on our, the consumer's, side - meaning they are companies who are there to generate profits, as opposed to charities out to promote the great good. I use the products of these companies as they suit my needs/desires, but keep in mind they are about profits, not my best interests. For now, Android's flexibility suits my needs. But the iPhone's reliability suits my mom's needs.

I make my decision as a consumer so that my best interest/needs/wants/desires are served. Just like the carriers and hardware/software manufacturers do.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Statistics are a joke when it comes to these polls. What were the parameters set here. How many people were in the survey and so on. Also I can't tell if when you stop talking about high income families and regular income families. Because it seems like only the rich kids are getting the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Android user here who picked an iPhone for her mother. I don't know about Windows Phone or BlackBerry but will try to give you my perspective on the Android vs. iOS debate.

Pros of Android - At the time I signed up for a smartphone, only Android offered 4G LTE. iPhone was still only 3G. So I chose Android. At that time, the Galaxy Nexus was brand new so I bought the newest device. Well, once I entered the world of unlocked bootloaders and rooting and rom'ing, there was no turning back.

Cons of Android - it's not Google's bread-and-butter product and there are hiccups that affect my phone's performance as a phone. For instance, the latest update 4.2.2, it literally broke the bluetooth so that my bluetooth headset is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting from the phone and sometimes has to be repaired (albeit not while on a call). That would never happen with an Apple iOS update. And it is annoying to the point it almost makes the unlocking, rooting and rom'ing not worth it.

Another Con of Android - I have a gmail account that I use for my real email and use Chrome as my browser and I worry about all of the info Google is collecting on me. So much so, I want to get rid of my gmail account. Google Now is nice, but it comes at the price of a whole helluva lot of data being stored by Google about me. I am uncomfortable with that.

iPhone Pros - iOS user interface (until recent jelly bean 4.2.2 update) is smoother. This is a product of design philosophy and that the integration Apple has between the hardware and software is superior because they are one company instead of Google working with multiple hardware manufactures, all of whom have their own skins to slap on top of the Android OS (except if you have a Nexus device), and the iPhone is a core product of Apple unlike Android, which is just a vehicle for Google to collect information and sell advertising. The iPhone being a core product of Apple is huge in terms of their willingness/ability to devote resources to it and devoting resources means better quality assurance.

Cons of iPhone - it works well, but it is locked down more so than Android and customizing isn't near as easy nor as deep/broad. There are also some built-in hacks to android, like the ability to get free WiFi hostpot on Android without root, whereas it requires jailbreaking an iPhone. Since the iPhone is a core product of Apple and the carriers subsidize the iPhone, Apple is more in bed with the carriers than Google, which is actively fighting the carriers as is evidence by the Nexus 4 unlocked pricing.

At the end of the day, none of these companies are on our, the consumer's, side - meaning they are companies who are there to generate profits, as opposed to charities out to promote the great good. I use the products of these companies as they suit my needs/desires, but keep in mind they are about profits, not my best interests. For now, Android's flexibility suits my needs. But the iPhone's reliability suits my mom's needs.

I make my decision as a consumer so that my best interest/needs/wants/desires are served. Just like the carriers and hardware/software manufacturers do.

Outstanding reply...:D

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Because it seems like only the rich kids are getting the iPhone.
Actually, only the rich kids are getting the latest iPhone. What Apple has done is quite smart. Their latest phone is their high end phone, and their earlier phones because Apple still supports them instead of becoming obsolete, they become their low and mid tier phones.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
No offense but I already knew that knew that. I was just saying the way the poll is laid out in the forum makes it appear only rich kids were polled.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Most teenagers I know dont have 2 nickels to rub together much less paying hundreds of dollars for a smartphone along with a hundred+ each month for a phone contract. If anything - the only reliable information would be if they polled these teenagers parents. This poll has no merit.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Most teenagers I know dont have 2 nickels to rub together much less paying hundreds of dollars for a smartphone along with a hundred+ each month for a phone contract. If anything - the only reliable information would be if they polled these teenagers parents. This poll has no merit.
I agree, however, I'm sure the teenagers that were polled knew that their parents had already agreed to get them their device of choice. Besides, today's parents will do almost anything to help their kids keep up with the Jones'.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This is the US only correct?

I would be interested to see some statistics about population as a whole, not just 'teens', Teens dont have that much buying power for high end electronics (I never did!), its their parents' money thats going to be going towards it. I would also like to see some NA stats in general and Europe.

But really interesting, I read through the slideshow. the thing that frustrates me the most is that I always want MORE stats and more of the big picture :p. But that might be just me

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I would be interested to see some statistics about population as a whole, not just 'teens', Teens dont have that much buying power for high end electronics (I never did!), its their parents' money thats going to be going towards it. I would also like to see some NA stats in general and Europe.

But really interesting, I read through the slideshow. the thing that frustrates me the most is that I always want MORE stats and more of the big picture :p. But that might be just me

I'm the same way. I learned long ago that stats can be easily skewed to fit a particular viewpoint and therefore, like you, I seek more information to get a complete view. That's old school, my friend...:)

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have suggested before that Apple could take the iPod Touch as a template, add in 3G connectivity and GPS and still produce a fully fledged iPhone for around half the price of an iPhone 5. Sure it would mean that they would have to spend some money and reduce their margins, but they really need to expand the iPhone range beyond just one current model and two old models. They could do it with the iPod, so why not do this with the iPhone to create a model aimed at younger customers and those who would not want to pay the much higher price for the iPhone 5? When I suggested this before, I was assured that Apple should not produce a cheaper iPhone that would appeal to "lower class customers".

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Worldwide, all ages, from a trusted source. Q3 2012.

Android Marks Fourth Anniversary Since Launch with 75.0% Market Share in Third Quarter, According to IDC - prUS23771812

As an overview:

Android: Up to 75% from 57.5%.
iOS: Up to 14.9% from 13.8%.
BlackBerry: Down to 4.3% from 9.5%.
Symbian: Down to 2.3% from 14.6%.
Windows Phone: Up to 2% from 1.2%.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Here's an unbiased poll. I found a way to stop texting during class, and allow my students to charge their phones on the other side of the classroom where I've left 2 power strips. This also allows me to see what everyone is using, and every one of them is using an iPhone in my 2nd block class.

In my first block class I had one child with a Note 2. Unfortunately, it was stolen 2 weeks after she got it, and she replaced it with an iPhone.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's an unbiased poll. I found a way to stop texting during class, and allow my students to charge their phones on the other side of the classroom where I've left 2 power strips. This also allows me to see what everyone is using, and every one of them is using an iPhone in my 2nd block class.

In my first block class I had one child with a Note 2. Unfortunately, it was stolen 2 weeks after she got it, and she replaced it with an iPhone.

That's not at all unbiased. You need a larger sample size and random sampling, not a small amount of students all in the same class, of the same age, and living in the same area.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's not at all unbiased. You need a larger sample size and random sampling, not a small amount of students all in the same class, of the same age, and living in the same area.

Do you not see that clumping all of the iterations of Android together as if they were from one specific company against the other OSes with no iterations is being biased?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro