Will you continue to use WhatsApp if Google purchases it?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of friends and family on it, so I'd probably continue to use it until the next great widely adopted cross platform instant messenger comes around.

If Google acquires it and they get rid of the subscription fee to make it a "free" service, I'll wonder how they're monetizing it...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If Google acquires it and they get rid of the subscription fee to make it a "free" service, I'll wonder how they're monetizing it...

The same way they monetize everything else: Data mining and selling targeted advertising. Google's product is advertising exposures. That's what they sell. Plus Google gets a bonus for click-throughs... and another spiff if the 'advertiser' is hosted by Google... and another spiff if a transaction is completed using Google's store/payment processing...

By the way... Apple does it too... however, Apple's data mining is minuscule compared to Google from everything I've read...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I stopped using WhatsApp almost 2 years ago. I was busy sending messages and wondering why I got no responses...turns out there's no way to tell if your contacts have removed WhatsApp from their devices. That's a total Fail.