Former Apple ad man thinks the iPhone's naming convention needs to change

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that a majority of iPhone users buy them on contract and then upgrade after their 2-year contract has expired. Having said that, it can be said that the people whose contracts expire during the S-series upgrade will upgrade to an S-series iPhone and likewise for the numeric-only devices. As for whether branding the iPhone with an S is sending out a "weak message" is debatable because not everyone will be able to purchase a new iPhone every year and therefore, some models will still be skipped for a following model. Therefore, whether Apple continue attaching the S or not, people's financial status will still determine their ability to buy.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what’s in a name... as the Bard himself said, "What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet;" ... I make my purchase decision based on facts - features, options, specifications, etc... not on the name. I will continue to buy regardless of the name based on those items alone. We could end up with HTC/Samsung-esque names... would that change anything?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple could name the next iPhone "crap on a stick" and it will outsell the previous version(s)

yeah, i said it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is this guys knowledge and approach all it takes to be in advertisement for Apple? Holy crap! Where do i send my resume?

In a way though i agree...when the "S" years come around, people are much more interested in the features included underneath everything vs. the years where it's a solid new release. And I've said this for years, i think that Apple should release a new release AND an "S" model every years...give a cheaper "new" model and then give a hopped up "S" version (this is what car companies do all the time...think Honda Civic and Honda Civic Si).

It would not help Apple at all really, as it would eliminate their ability to stagger out their releases and keep them as polished upon release (that we've come to expect now), it also wouldn't really help them monetarily since neither unit would sell as good as it does being released a year apart on their own...but it would make the consumer happy initially. After a while though, people would start complaining and asking why they don't just put all their efforts into the "higher" S model and make it that much better.

In the end, you'll never please everyone...and as it sits, Apple doesn't need to change ANYTHING, they break records every year, and worst case this coming release, they'll just out sell all the other phones on the market and fall just below records (which is still universally better than the competition hopes for during releases). Let's face it, "Former Apple Ad Man", everyone has an opinion on changing stuff, let's give Apple some credit here, they are front runners, top dogs...they sit pretty on top of the food chain. There may eventually be a time for change, but we aint there yet.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW