Hello everyone,

I am investing in an Apple product for the first time : an Ipad, and soon probably an Iphone.

After some researches I got a few knowledge as you will see, however I still have some points that I would need your help to clarify. Here is my series of questions :-) :

1) In one line, what would be the main difference between Ipads 2, 3 et 4 ? (as far as I know, Ipad 3 = 2 + Retina, multi task & better processor ; Ipad 4 = 3 + new connection & better processor ?)

2) Is it possible to install, and keep, applications from an Iphone to an Ipad ? I believe it is when using the same Apple ID. If this is correct then is it possible using different ID's ? I guess not, but in that case, what happen to my applications if my girlfriend log on my Ipad with her username ? Will my applications disappear until I re log with my account ?

3) Is there any 3G dongle for Ipad wifi only out there ? Well I would probably use my phone to connect.

4) Is there any way to upgrade the HDD on an Ipad, internal or ideally external ? Even something expensive by Apple, or using an accessory by Apple ? Otherwise is it possible to combine iCloud + Dropbox + others si I would keep that free ?

5) Is it possible to copy mp3 & films from its computer to an Ipad ? Is Itunes compulsory ? Is there any wireless way (bluetooth / wifi) ?

6) Regarding the dictionnary (notes, texts), when we write a word that doesn't exist, it is automatically corrected with a space and I need to click on the x not to correct it. Is there any way to keep my word when I do space, and correct it when I would click on the suggested word ? Otherwise I would unable the dictionnary, but it would be a shame.

Also, is it possible to use 2 dictionnaries (from 2 countries) at the same time so words from both would be recognised ?

7) Speaking of the keybord, is there any way to do a Ctrl Z ?

8) Regarding contacts, is it possible to show contacts whose either first name or surname start with the letter I clicked ? At the moment I have to choose either first or second name, but I don't always remember how I saved my contacts. If there's no other way, do you have a trick to make it easy ? Maybe save all contacts the same way, either in first or second name ?

9) Is it possible to install Firefox, and thus to synchronise favourites using the add on ?

10) Is there any chance to have word / excel for free, or at least something almost as good and compatible ?

11) Is it possible to synchronise Notes between an Ipad and an Iphone using the same ID automatically ? And to do so with a laptop (at the moment I send by email to have my up to date Note...). I think something exists for Android. If this can help, I have a gmail account.

12) Would you suggest to proceed the 6.1 update ? As far as I ve heard, it only prevents from jailbreaking the Ipad (which I am not using at the moment as a beginner, but who knows in the future) and removes the Youtube app (which would then be still accessible online though)

13) What accessories would you consider as must-have ? So far I think I'll go for the Smart Cover and that's it, what do you think ?

14) Is it normal that on Youtube, some videos don't display full screen ?

15) Finally, is it possible to do a video call with a Samsung Galaxy S3 ? Ideally using Facetime, or maybe by using a specific app on both devices ?

That's it for now :-)), thanks a lot to whoever would manage to answer some questions, and sorry if some were answered already somewhere or if the thread is no at the right place. If so, please redirect me and I'll proceed.
    04-08-2013 08:41 AM
    Hello everyone,

I am investing in an Apple product for the first time : an Ipad, and soon probably an Iphone.

After some researches I got a few knowledge as you will see, however I still have some points that I would need your help to clarify. Here is my series of questions :-) :

1) In one line, what would be the main difference between Ipads 2, 3 et 4 ? (as far as I know, Ipad 3 = 2 + Retina, multi task & better processor ; Ipad 4 = 3 + new connection & better processor ?)
    Just this, you are correct sir.

2) Is it possible to install, and keep, applications from an Iphone to an Ipad ? I believe it is when using the same Apple ID. If this is correct then is it possible using different ID's ? I guess not, but in that case, what happen to my applications if my girlfriend log on my Ipad with her username ? Will my applications disappear until I re log with my account ?
    Currently there is no easy way to switch user accounts on an iDevice. You'll have to do a factory reset when you want to use another apple ID on the same device.

3) Is there any 3G dongle for Ipad wifi only out there ? Well I would probably use my phone to connect.
    No, iPad does not support USB peripherals. So you're stuck buying a Wifi+3G or using a phone as a hotspot.

4) Is there any way to upgrade the HDD on an Ipad, internal or ideally external ? Even something expensive by Apple, or using an accessory by Apple ? Otherwise is it possible to combine iCloud + Dropbox + others si I would keep that free ?
    There is no HDD present in an iPad. There is only flash memory. You could expand the storage via a cloud based provider like dropbox. Just not for app storage.

5) Is it possible to copy mp3 & films from its computer to an Ipad ? Is Itunes compulsory ? Is there any wireless way (bluetooth / wifi) ?
    You'll need to transfer the media via iTunes, but there is a wireless sync option. Keep in mind, while iDevices play mp3 files, they do not play all video and audio formats. So re-encoding might be a necessity.

6) Regarding the dictionnary (notes, texts), when we write a word that doesn't exist, it is automatically corrected with a space and I need to click on the x not to correct it. Is there any way to keep my word when I do space, and correct it when I would click on the suggested word ? Otherwise I would unable the dictionnary, but it would be a shame.

Also, is it possible to use 2 dictionnaries (from 2 countries) at the same time so words from both would be recognised ?
    Not that I am aware of.

7) Speaking of the keybord, is there any way to do a Ctrl Z ?
    CTRL+Z meaning an undo? Again, not that I am aware of.

8) Regarding contacts, is it possible to show contacts whose either first name or surname start with the letter I clicked ? At the moment I have to choose either first or second name, but I don't always remember how I saved my contacts. If there's no other way, do you have a trick to make it easy ? Maybe save all contacts the same way, either in first or second name ?
    You can search contacts in the iPhone, just swipe left on the home screen. You can search on first name, sur name or partial name.

9) Is it possible to install Firefox, and thus to synchronise favourites using the add on ?
    I'm not aware of a firefox app. But both chrome and opera exist and have similar functionality.

10) Is there any chance to have word / excel for free, or at least something almost as good and compatible ?
    Depends on you use of excel. There a free excel like apps. But they are not for the heavy excel users.

11) Is it possible to synchronise Notes between an Ipad and an Iphone using the same ID automatically ? And to do so with a laptop (at the moment I send by email to have my up to date Note...). I think something exists for Android. If this can help, I have a gmail account.
    Yes, iDevices can sync via iCloud if you use the same apple ID. For the laptop you can use outlook with the icloud panel software.

12) Would you suggest to proceed the 6.1 update ? As far as I ve heard, it only prevents from jailbreaking the Ipad (which I am not using at the moment as a beginner, but who knows in the future) and removes the Youtube app (which would then be still accessible online though)
    Youtube app is available in the app store, but it's not on the device on first use.

13) What accessories would you consider as must-have ? So far I think I'll go for the Smart Cover and that's it, what do you think ?
    Personal preference. I like my devices 'naked'.

14) Is it normal that on Youtube, some videos don't display full screen ?
    I have yet to encounter a video that does not play full screen. Maybe it's a ratio problem? (ie black bars on top en bottom)

15) Finally, is it possible to do a video call with a Samsung Galaxy S3 ? Ideally using Facetime, or maybe by using a specific app on both devices ?
    Not with facetime. Facetime is ios only. But there are other apps like this, Skype would be one of them.
    04-08-2013 09:14 AM
    Question 8 - You can always go into settings under - Mail. Contacts, Calendar and set for first name last name or vice versa.
    04-08-2013 07:37 PM
    Question 8 - Also let it be known that there is a field when adding a contact to your address book that you can have the persons nickname. I've especially found this feature useful since I have a few friends that I strictly call them by their nickname so when typing in their name to access their information I just type the nickname and their information comes up!
    04-08-2013 08:40 PM