I just read in the news that Tim Cook posted a letter on the Chinese Apple Webpage apologizing for their warranty policy over there and introducing a new, very generous policy. This came after a couple of weeks of intense criticism by their media outlets against their current warranty policy - which was essentially the same as what we have in the US.

The new policy extends the regular warranty to two years. If the apple product develops a problem in that two-year window, it will be replaced with a BRAND NEW DEVICE. This new device will also have a new two-year warranty that begins on the date of the replacement.

I've also seen where many countries in other parts of the world also have two-year warranties, but without the brand-new-replacement policy.

Seriously, why do we have the most restrictive policy in the world?
    04-02-2013 10:02 AM
    [Moderator Note] This thread was moved to the "General Apple news & discussion" section.

Now in regard to your post, I doubt that the policy will change hear in the U.S. unless there is a large outcry to do so. Personally speaking, we have far too many people who want a new device whenever a new device is introduced. In regard to the iPhone, a great deal of people will buy it and then sell it when the newest version arrives which is long before 2 years. Even the people who buy their devices under contract will sometimes pay the ETF in order to get the newest iPhone when it is released. Having said that, I don't think we'll see a large outcry here at home, but that's just my personal opinion.
    04-02-2013 10:16 AM
    OP, do you have a source for this "news" you read? I find it really hard to believe to be honest...
    04-02-2013 11:26 AM
    OP, do you have a source for this "news" you read? I find it really hard to believe to be honest...
    Related... Chinese propaganda campaign could sap $13 billion in sales from Apple | iMore.com
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-02-2013 11:28 AM
    That new warranty policy is insane.
    04-02-2013 07:43 PM
    It's on just about every news outlet.

Seriously, there are many countries where a two-year warranty is the norm. I cannot think of of a single valid reason why we only can be guaranteed of having a defect-free device for half the time of others.

Whether or not we tend to trade units up in a year is beside the point.

If public outcry is what caused Apple to change their policy in China, maybe there should be a public cry here, too.
    04-02-2013 07:57 PM
    [Moderator Note] This thread was moved to the "General Apple news & discussion" section.

Now in regard to your post, I doubt that the policy will change hear in the U.S. unless there is a large outcry to do so. Personally speaking, we have far too many people who want a new device whenever a new device is introduced. In regard to the iPhone, a great deal of people will buy it and then sell it when the newest version arrives which is long before 2 years. Even the people who buy their devices under contract will sometimes pay the ETF in order to get the newest iPhone when it is released. Having said that, I don't think we'll see a large outcry here at home, but that's just my personal opinion.
    I don't think we'll see an outcry either if the media or politicians don't press the issue. I don't see it happening. Be careful what you wish for in the US. Universal warranties now? Nothing is free. It would get built into the price or result in crappier warranties.

Apple could decide to jump to a 2 year automatic warranty and wash its hands of the nonsense and use it as a competitive advantage. No doubt Apple could enhance it's applecare+ in other ways besides the insurance component. But it should be up to Apple. As a consumer, if you don't like it, don't buy it or add it on. Your choice.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-03-2013 08:12 AM
    I don't think we'll see an outcry either if the media or politicians don't press the issue. I don't see it happening. Be careful what you wish for in the US. Universal warranties now? Nothing is free. It would get built into the price or result in crappier warranties.

Apple could decide to jump to a 2 year automatic warranty and wash its hands of the nonsense and use it as a competitive advantage. No doubt Apple could enhance it's applecare+ in other ways besides the insurance component. But it should be up to Apple. As a consumer, if you don't like it, don't buy it or add it on. Your choice.
    You are spot-on, my friend.
    04-03-2013 08:22 AM
    It's on just about every news outlet.

Seriously, there are many countries where a two-year warranty is the norm. I cannot think of of a single valid reason why we only can be guaranteed of having a defect-free device for half the time of others.

Whether or not we tend to trade units up in a year is beside the point.

If public outcry is what caused Apple to change their policy in China, maybe there should be a public cry here, too.
    It wasn't the 2 year warranty that was really sticking out to me as being hard to believe...It was the "new device" replacement, and really because as i read it, it seems they're going to give newer generation devices as replacements to the older ones if the warranty calls for it towards the end of the 2 years? That seems insane to me...and will very easily start creating warranty fraud issues.

As far as Apple's response here in the states, even if they just dropped the Apple Care + plan by half, I'd be totally happy with that and get it every time!
    04-03-2013 09:02 AM