Get over it - Too Many Choices

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest, I used to be one of those people. For about a year I wanted to have all this stuff (despite owning a HTC titan single core device, despite it releasing amongst quad core Android phones that cost ?50+ less!). Nowadays I'm happy with what I have. My Nokia Lumia is a fantastic device that I absolutely adore. The rumoured Eos has piqued my interest but I doubt I'm going to chase for it when I'm so happy with my 920.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express Pro for Windows Phone 8.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
If what they have done for years have made them the most profitable company on the planet, why would they change what they are doing? Year after year, millions of people spend their money buying this so-called one size fits all device and they love it. Even many tech enthusiasts, who are full aware of its restrictions, buy it and then complain about it still being restricted. There are numerous videos of people buying the iPhone just to destroy it by performing silly drop tests. Let's not forget about the people who use other devices as their primary phone but still purchase an iPhone just to have. It would be foolish for Apple to alter their game when people are buying their devices by the droves year after year.

Great point if it isn't broke don't fix it. I personally feel it will eventually catch up to them. At this point in time though I agree with you fully.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great point if it isn't broke don't fix it. I personally feel it will eventually catch up to them. At this point in time though I agree with you fully.

Thanks, Brandon. Also, I'm not saying that Apple won't have to change at some point, but that time, in my opinion, is not now.

Sarcasm Detector

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
The "one size fits all" paradigm is now getting very long in the tooth. That plus the lack of new innovations is starting to hurt Apple. Case and point: blackberry 10 and windows phones are now out selling iphones in certain countries like Canada and the UK.

Apple is now where blackberry was 5 years ago. They need to change and adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to adapt to them; consumers expect and want more. Otherwise the same thing that happened to RIM will happen to Apple.

Today is not the same as 5 years ago. Customers have a lot more choices available to them: Android, BB10, WP, Facebook phone, ubuntu, Tizen. There is room in the market for more than two players, in my opinion there is enough room for 4 or 5 major smartphone companies; and the market just keeps getting bigger.

People will and do get sick and tired of the same ol' same old. Unfortunately Apple now has the distinction of being the Oldest mobile OS available on the market. Younger consumers want something new, exciting, and highly customizable. They do not want the same old UI that their parents have been using for the past 6 years.

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of similar comments made by ol' blackberry users when iphones and android first came out: why do we need this, why is that important, what I'm using is just fine, why do I need more? We all know how well that turned out.

So you guys can sit here and whine about being outpaced by new tech in the marketplace (which as a blackberry user I find highly amusing in a karmic retribution way) or you can just deal with it and move on. Maybe try something new that is outside your comfort zone.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Tell ya what....

I choose to buy what suits my needs - just as you choose to buy what suits yours. To pass judgment on my or anyone else's decision is no different than passing judgment on someone else's choice of a car, religious beliefs, or food choices. It's asinine, and it proves nothing but your own intolerance. I don't care what anybody else uses. I really don't. I'm secure enough with my own beliefs that I don't need others to believe the same thing. I do to feel confident that I've made the best decision for how I choose to live my life

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The "one size fits all" paradigm is now getting very long in the tooth.
Sales numbers disagree.
That plus the lack of new innovations is starting to hurt Apple.
In what manner?
Case and point: blackberry 10 and windows phones are now out selling iphones in certain countries like Canada and the UK.
Is "outselling" the same as "sold more than"? The iphone 5 was released in September 2012. It sold millions upon million within hours & days and now 6 months later, newer devices are "outselling" the iPhone. Has anyone stopped to think that a majority of people who wanted a new iPhone, bought it before Christmas? If that is the case, then wouldn't it make sense to think that a minority purchased it afterwards and that some people held out to purchase a newer Android, Windows 8 or Blackberry device? Furthermore, being that Blackberry has just recently started selling their new device, it would make sense that it would be "outselling" anything else at the moment, but that does not equate to "having sold more than" the latest iPhone. When the iPhone 5s is released, it will be "outselling" everything else at that time and will have "sold more than" all of the non-Apple products combined, in my opinion.

Apple is now where blackberry was 5 years ago.
In what way?
They need to change and adapt to the market instead of forcing the market to adapt to them;
How is the market adapting and how it Apple not adapting to it?
consumers expect and want more.
"Some "consumers expect & want more whereas "some" are satisfied with what they have.
Otherwise the same thing that happened to RIM will happen to Apple.
Nobody stays on top forever.

Today is not the same as 5 years ago. Customers have a lot more choices available to them: Android, BB10, WP, Facebook phone, ubuntu, Tizen. There is room in the market for more than two players, in my opinion there is enough room for 4 or 5 major smartphone companies; and the market just keeps getting bigger.
Okay. Yes there is always room for more players in the game, but that does not guarantee that consumers will flock to them and what they are offering. History has proven that just because something is new & innovative it does not mean that it will be widely accepted or adapted.

People will and do get sick and tired of the same ol' same old.
Yet, people keep doing the same things over and over again...:)...Seriously, that depends on the product and people's familiarity with it.
Unfortunately Apple now has the distinction of being the Oldest mobile OS available on the market. Younger consumers want something new, exciting, and highly customizable. They do not want the same old UI that their parents have been using for the past 6 years.
Arguably true, but still, you're speaking of a segment of the population and not the population as a whole.

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of similar comments made by ol' blackberry users when iphones and android first came out: why do we need this, why is that important, what I'm using is just fine, why do I need more? We all know how well that turned out.
Did you not in this very thread try to tell us what Apple needs to do, what is important to consumers & that consumers expect & want more?

So you guys can sit here and whine about being outpaced by new tech in the marketplace (which as a blackberry user I find highly amusing in a karmic retribution way) or you can just deal with it and move on. Maybe try something new that is outside your comfort zone.
Are you for real? Was it not your arguably whiney post that I opted to address? You're right, I did find it amusing. Seriously, I am the type of person who will have already researched & studied a tech product before buying it and after I buy it, I will take the time to learn it thoroughly. Furthermore, I have had more mobile phones & smartphones & PDAs that I care to recall and I had no problems using them. Right now, my smartphone of choice is the iPhone and until I get tired of it, it will remain my smartphone of choice and I don't care who agrees or disagrees. Period. It's my money, my choice and my decision.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I mainly agree with Sarcasm Detector and you make many points that I was going to make myself.
I work for an international bank, a company that is many times larger than Apple Inc. Whenever we announce big profits, our customers tell us that we are making too much out of them and that we should give them better value. Apple are in the unique position that their customers see the US$137bn that they have in the bank and actually want to give them even more.
Apple's product range is too narrow and at the top of the price range, but too often access to vital information and services can only be achieved through an iPhone app.
Last year a British journalist wrote a blog about children and technology. She had an iPhone, it was clear that she could do no more than make calls and send texts, but hey, she had an iPhone!
The complacency and arrogance here staggers me at times. A few weeks ago, one poster claimed that the iPhone is a "premium" device and that Apple should not make a cheaper iPhone that would appeal to "lower class" customers. Apple clearly has the resources to expand their range and offer better value to customers, it's just up customers to demand their cut back of that US$137bn in the bank.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I mainly agree with Sarcasm Detector and you make many points that I was going to make myself.
I work for an international bank, a company that is many times larger than Apple Inc. Whenever we announce big profits, our customers tell us that we are making too much out of them and that we should give them better value. Apple are in the unique position that their customers see the US$137bn that they have in the bank and actually want to give them even more.
Apple's product range is too narrow and at the top of the price range, but too often access to vital information and services can only be achieved through an iPhone app.
Last year a British journalist wrote a blog about children and technology. She had an iPhone, it was clear that she could do no more than make calls and send texts, but hey, she had an iPhone!
The complacency and arrogance here staggers me at times. A few weeks ago, one poster claimed that the iPhone is a "premium" device and that Apple should not make a cheaper iPhone that would appeal to "lower class" customers. Apple clearly has the resources to expand their range and offer better value to customers, it's just up customers to demand their cut back of that US$137bn in the bank.

I have a problem with this -- "it's just up to customers to demand their cut back of that US$137bn in the bank." -- Apple provides us with products and service at a price and we, by the millions, agreed to pay for those products and services. That is business. They don't owe us anything and we have no right to demand they they give back a portion of the money we voluntarily gave them in an agreed upon exchange for their products and services. The entitlement mentality drives me insane.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with this -- "it's just up to customers to demand their cut back of that US$137bn in the bank." -- Apple provides us with products and service at a price and we, by the millions, agreed to pay for those products and services. That is business. They don't owe us anything and we have no right to demand they they give back a portion of the money we voluntarily gave them in an agreed upon exchange for their products and services. The entitlement mentality drives me insane.

I just think that too many customers are willing to pay too much for the iPhone, partly because there is no lower cost option and as a result, Apple is able to make truly huge profits. There is also the lack of options and choice. I recently paid the equivalent of $22 for 32GB extra micro sd card memory, how much would that cost for an iPhone? I have already pointed out that Apple could add the ability to make calls and GPS to the iPod Touch and still produce a phone that would be half the price of an iPhone 5. It wouldn't be a "crappy" phone as suggested by Tim Cook, because it would be based on an existing Apple product.
Yes, it has all been working very well for Apple, but the complacency that all is well and that no change is needed could be their downfall. It has happened to others in the past.
This is simply not sustainable and I'm sure that the market will one day catch up with Apple, unless they make changes to meet that challenge.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just think that too many customers are willing to pay too much for the iPhone,
That is their decision and their money. Not yours.
partly because there is no lower cost option and as a result, Apple is able to make truly huge profits.
That is a crock. Android, Windows 8 & Blackberry are all lower cost alternatives and Android manufacturers, moreso than the others, are making millions selling those devices so why is it not okay for Apple to make a profit but is okay for others?
There is also the lack of options and choice. I recently paid the equivalent of $22 for 32GB extra micro sd card memory, how much would that cost for an iPhone?
It doesn't matter. You are fully aware of what the iPhone offers and what it doesn't offer. Samsung commercials clearly make the deficiencies apparent. Furthermore, Samsung tells the world that the next best thing is already here (referring to its own products). That, in and of itself, gives you a choice: continue buying Apple or choose to buy something else. Yet, certain people willingly choose to buy the iPhone and then complain because it lacks what they would like for it to have and not just that. They tell us that other manufacturers provide what they want and ignore the fact that they made a conscious decision to not buy from them.
I have already pointed out that Apple could add the ability to make calls and GPS to the iPod Touch and still produce a phone that would be half the price of an iPhone 5.
yeah, but they do not have to.
It wouldn't be a "crappy" phone as suggested by Tim Cook, because it would be based on an existing Apple product.
Yes, it has all been working very well for Apple, but the complacency that all is well and that no change is needed could be their downfall. It has happened to others in the past.
This is simply not sustainable and I'm sure that the market will one day catch up with Apple, unless they make changes to meet that challenge.
Nobody stays on top forever, even the next best thing.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say, I love how my broad spectrum, all brand and phone encompassing post has become all about Apple.

There are many strengths and weaknesses of all platforms and phones. My whole post was about the people of all platforms complaining about things as soon as they come out even though they know exactly what they're buying. They're never satisfied.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say, I love how my broad spectrum, all brand and phone encompassing post has become all about Apple.

There are many strengths and weaknesses of all platforms and phones. My whole post was about the people of all platforms complaining about things as soon as they come out even though they know exactly what they're buying. They're never satisfied.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

(Laughing)....C'mon now, this is a pro-Apple forum...:D

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That is a crock. Android, Windows 8 & Blackberry are all lower cost alternatives and Android manufacturers, moreso than the others, are making millions selling those devices so why is it not okay for Apple to make a profit but is okay for others?

I'm sure I read somewhere that only Samsung are making profits out of the Android zone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The entitlement issue these days is absolutely baffling...some people feel these companies owe them everything they demand at the exact moment they demand it.

Get over yourselves.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The entitlement issue these days is absolutely baffling...some people feel these companies owe them everything they demand at the exact moment they demand it.

Get over yourselves.

This is from: Everyone's a winner, we don't keep score attitude that was mentioned by Marshall when he coached Lily's kindergarten basketball team on How I Met Your Mother and Dash in The Incredibles: "If everyone's special then no-one is" or something like that.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This line, more than any other line I've read on any tech site in my entire life, bugs me to no end:

it's just up customers to demand their cut back of that US$137bn in the bank

This one line encapsulates everything that is wrong with the entitlement mentality running rampant today. And it's not just in the tech world, but overall.

"It's my right to demand that a private company gives me a cut of their legally obtained earnings. They owe it to me!"
"It's my right to own a cell phone, the government should provide one to me!"

Let's extend this lunatic train of thought to other industries:

"I demand that Amazon give me a cut of their profits that they earned by providing online goods and services."
"I demand that Google give me a cut of their profits earned from me using their services."
"I demand that Samsung give me a cut of their profits for buying their smartphones."

This is just lunacy. No private corporation is required to give anyone a cut of anything they earned outside of providing the goods and services that they sell. You are not that special.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My local pizzeria is owned by one of the coolest guys I've ever met...and he runs his business in a way that essentially tells a rude or outwardly disrespectful customer to F' off. His business thrives because of this, you don't have loud children running around, you don't have complete ****** nozzles holding up the que for a pie, you just have a great little pizza joint that stays packed because the people know they'll enjoy great food for a price that, while higher than other places around it, satisfies...and that goes along with the environment. It's always fun to see the people who go in and complain about the prices when he comes out of the kitchen and he tells them flat out to leave and that their business isn't welcome anymore. It's a thing of beauty...one which i wish we could see more from these large companies.

In this most recent keynote, a comment was made when the new iMac was shown...something along the lines of "Can't innovate anymore my a$$...", and even that subtle little remark reminded me of the way things should be. Scoff at the haters, release what you feel is great, charge what you want for it and if it sells like hotcakes...props to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR