Please Stop Fighting About Your Smartphone (from Wired)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Moved to General forum...

good article.

Edit to add... the comments on the article are a perfect illustration of the whole point of the article.

Irony, eh? :D

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
He'd have nothing to write about if people didn't stake claim to one side or another...he should be glad people are e-fighting over smart phones (and gaming systems, and types of TV's, and cars they drive, etc). Humans (most) have a competitive nature...we want to try and push the boundaries all the time to see how far we can push before someone pushes back, and when they push back, we want to see how we compare against them. We are all like that in one way or another...he should be happy he has a profiled job where he can discuss it to a larger audience, while the soldiers down here in forum land give him all of his content, lol!

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Really good article, and so true. Have to say though, I've seen awhole lot less bashing and more respect on this forum than others forums I've seen.
It's refreshing to actually see discussions than arguments.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Haven't read the article yet but A) choice is good and B) competition is good. I don't know why more people can't figure that out.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's hard to understand some of you. He basically said we're all wrong. And some of you are like "yeah, fantastic article!" High five..lol

Besides, look at what he wrote just a week ago: The Samsung Galaxy S4 Is Completely Amazing and Utterly Boring | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
The most purely interesting phone to come out so far this year is, by a long shot, the Blackberry Z10.
What he really means is it's ok for him to rant, have opinions, or compare platforms, but wrong of you. And especially don't be critical of BB.

It's pure BS.. If you enjoy talking about tech, then feel free to.. If nobody cared, then we wouldn't have these forums.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The part of the article that I would like to get across to biased fanatics is this :

"...it’s shockingly possible to both have a preference and respect that other people may prefer an entirely different device...."

With that in mind, it is hard to take certain people seriously when they flock to forums catering to a competitor and post about their particular & unrelated device / platform. Wouldn't it be better to share your enthusiasm with like-minded people? Debating in and of itself is not a problem, but often becomes a problem when certain people fail to accept the fact that others do not share their level of enthusiasm about the device they prefer.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
0.o this man has done everything he said not to do in his article. Hmm....hypocrisy will always be around. But you really can't make fun of BB10, in just a couple short months it has now over 100K apps in Blackberry World, they have a BRAND NEW and unique OS that was built in 2 years. It's everything you loved about Blackberry and what you loved to hate what was missing. And guess what? It's going to get better, you can already easily port Android apps onto it. It's just a matter of time to see what happens.

And when companies do that and their mobile platforms get better and better, it forces other companies to do the same and improve themselves or be left behind, lost and forgotten. Every mobile platform is great, they have their pros and cons, that's what makes it so hard to choose the right one for you. I left Blackberry because of Android and came to iOS because Android annoyed me too much and Blackberry couldn't offer enough. Now I want to pick up a Z10, even if it's not my main phone just to have a play with. I want to pick up an Android again for the same reason. And a Windows Phone, and you guessed right, for the same reason!

Because you can't have the best of all you have to choose the best for you. Do it. Prefer it to something else? Great! That doesn't mean it's the best for everyone and that everyone has to switch. Want to discuss it? Even better! Don't put anyone down or bash any platform, simply discuss and try to understand why someone likes something you don't. End of story. And here's the kicker in all of it, you're the only you! No one else is you. You all know the saying, different strokes for different folks.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to understand some of you. He basically said we're all wrong. And some of you are like "yeah, fantastic article!" High five..lol

Besides, look at what he wrote just a week ago: The Samsung Galaxy S4 Is Completely Amazing and Utterly Boring | Gadget Lab | Wired.com What he really means is it's ok for him to rant, have opinions, or compare platforms, but wrong of you. And especially don't be critical of BB.

It's pure BS.. If you enjoy talking about tech, then feel free to.. If nobody cared, then we wouldn't have these forums.

Thank you...holy sh*t this guy might as well have been riding in on a snow white stallion as important as he feels his stance is in this write up. Look at me! I'm the smart phone white knight! SHUT UP ALL YOU MORTALS! NEUTRALITY I SAY! NEEEEEUUUUTRAAALLLLL!

knight_on_white_horse.jpg

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

Besides, look at what he wrote just a week ago: The Samsung Galaxy S4 Is Completely Amazing and Utterly Boring | Gadget Lab | Wired.com What he really means is it's ok for him to rant, have opinions, or compare platforms, but wrong of you. And especially don't be critical of BB.

I disagree.
In the OPs article, he says not to slam others for their choices, because different devices are perfect for different people.
Therefore, they are all equal.

In the article you linked to, he argues that all new (high end) devices have the same base requirements, making them less unique from one another. (Equal).

The only contradiction I see are his comments about BB.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most of what the author said. When people asked me which phone is the best, I tell them the one THEY like the best. If you're happy with your phone, that's all that matters.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I agree with most of what the author said. When people asked me which phone is the best, I tell them the one THEY like the best. If you're happy with your phone, that's all that matters.

Usually if they have to ask, then they don't know. Geez why is it a crime now to declare something the best?

Here's the author's latest: Facebook's 'Phone' Is Another Triumph of Mediocrity | Gadget Lab | Wired.com Why write an article talking about holding everyone to some silly standard while ignoring it himself?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Usually if they have to ask, then they don't know. Geez why is it a crime now to declare something the best?

...(snipped)

It is NOT a crime, however, it is also not like being asked, "which is the best route to Walt Disney World that will yield the least amount of traffic"? We're talking very capable smartphone devices here. The specs of an Android device may be superior to that of an iPhone. Does that make the Android device "the best"? If so, why do so many people buy the one that is not "the best"? Do we then say, "although the Android device is "the best", personally, I like the iPhone "the best"? If so, then more than likely you will be asked why you prefer the iPhone over the Android, and when it is all said and done, they will understand that it is because it's what's "best" for you. So, no, it is not a crime to declare something to be the best, but in this regard, at least in 'my' opinion, informing someone that the "best" device is the one that is "best" for them is the right response to give....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234