Too many features makes a phone confusing

Apple Blogger

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
In the recent 3-4 months we saw 2 major releases of BB10 and Samsung s4.

BB 10 came out with many features. It was hard to remember so many features in the first go.. S4 copied almost all the features of blackberry and iOS also.. But gave 3 of its new features only(smart pause,see, and group share)
They said that these phones are ur companions , and can do everyday things.. But how many people are going to use all of them?
They have story features, camera features, etc which are good definately good,but they are not needed.. The companies sell it at a high price because of these, but actually they are a waste! They make the phone more confusing , so many features to remember !
iPhone on the other hand has less features in-built features but most of these features can be downloaded from the AppStore making it easy to use.. Much easier than the other 2 ..

The other 2 have health features, different photosharing features, hubs, etc. Honestly? How many people would be using it? 20%?? 30%??

If any apple executive or employee is reading this, please tell the designers on iOS to not bring these kinds of features but important and innovative features like screen sharing, checking emails when there is no network, and updating their main feature iCLOUD and SIRI!!!

Instead they can give developers the chance of making these features and giving the usesrs an option to download them.. iPhone is known to be a simple phone usable, it can be used from 2 yrs ppl to 80 yrs ones.. Please Keep it that way ..

Some features like defaults may be useful in which user is able to set a third party app as a default rather than an existing apple app enabling the user to Remove the app(can download it again if needed from settings)...

You can follow me at @appleincblogger

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It's not quantity of features that are problematic, it's quality and coherence.

Random words seldom click with people as well as stories.

Apple has had iOS events with tremendous amounts of new features as well.

Most people don't use every feature. They gravitate towards the ones that matter the most and make the most sense to them.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Features are simply selling points of devices and lead to competition and differentiation in the marketplace. Flagship devices will come at a premium regardless of the features they pack, so I don't follow the argument that more features equal a higher cost. As Rene argued a few months ago about screen size influencing people's purchasing decision, number of features also draw customers who are looking for the biggest bang for their buck. It could be argued that most won't use most of the features offered in other devices but I'd say that it would be much better to have something included that you don't need than to be missing a service or feature that you would want/need on your device. At this point, I would argue that every platform is simple enough to use at this point that almost anyone can pick them up and use one, so I can't see how features would affect that either. That's my two cents on this subject.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I hear what your saying, but I like having a choice of different features, the more I can do on my phone and tablet, means I do less on my laptop and desktop. Which is a great thing to me.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Bringing more features is bad? That's kind of sad, if you don't want new features or don't use them, then by all means don't. I don't use a lot of features on the iPhone or android but doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying to add more.

The more options you have the better.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Bringing more features is bad? That's kind of sad, if you don't want new features or don't use them, then by all means don't. I don't use a lot of features on the iPhone or android but doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying to add more.

The more options you have the better.

Adding more features is fine. But it's adding ones that actually work as intended is the greater challenge. As Rene mentioned, it's all about telling a story. Passport isn't used much because Apple hasn't sold it. Siri, on the other hand, was promoted night and day. Siri may not work as well as we'd like it to, but it does work. But at least it can be turned off or on..i think Apple even gives you the option in setup.

I'd like to see a files app. Nope, that won't make for a compelling commercial but there's a lot of basics upgrades that would be welcomed. Screen sharing would be nice as well with logmein type functionality perhaps. But rather than a lot of new features, i'd like the see the old ones made better (of course if they make old features better then i guess they are "new" features). iCloud, itunes, maps, siri, etc.

Ultimately, Apple has to make the experience seem different. The iphone 5 was a nice hardware update but the experience didn't change much. Same old apps. Same way you use the iphone. Adding in gimmicks you don't use and can't wait to find ways to uninstall isn't the way to do this though. Samsung took the bloatware approach in an effort to differentiate, steer customers to its ecosystem, and seems to be competing with the company that makes its OS.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think Excel has too many features too. Microsoft should probably take some away. .... Said no one ever.

Features are good, as long as they're polished. I think the S4 is way too gimmicky with the swipe your hand above the screen to scroll. Companies should continue to innovate, as some of the ones you mentioned (like the BlackBerry Hub) are very well done and appeal to consumers. Apple also has some features that are well done. And others that are not.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Adding more features is fine. But it's adding ones that actually work as intended is the greater challenge. As Rene mentioned, it's all about telling a story. Passport isn't used much because Apple hasn't sold it. Siri, on the other hand, was promoted night and day. Siri may not work as well as we'd like it to, but it does work. But at least it can be turned off or on..i think Apple even gives you the option in setup.

I'd like to see a files app. Nope, that won't make for a compelling commercial but there's a lot of basics upgrades that would be welcomed. Screen sharing would be nice as well with logmein type functionality perhaps. But rather than a lot of new features, i'd like the see the old ones made better (of course if they make old features better then i guess they are "new" features). iCloud, itunes, maps, siri, etc.

Ultimately, Apple has to make the experience seem different. The iphone 5 was a nice hardware update but the experience didn't change much. Same old apps. Same way you use the iphone. Adding in gimmicks you don't use and can't wait to find ways to uninstall isn't the way to do this though. Samsung took the bloatware approach in an effort to differentiate, steer customers to its ecosystem, and seems to be competing with the company that makes its OS.

I've tried to use passbook, but it's just not that useful... It only has a handful of stores I shop at and the coupons don't even update. If they expire, I need to go into the corresponding app and redownload the coupons. I also think it needs to be better about notifying you when in a store with coupons. It also needs to be a membership card reader, that would be more useful. SAMs, MVP, Kroger cards, etc.... Once all that's in, if apple can use NFC chip for payments and make that a standard. He'll, wouldn't it be cool if you scanned your phone at a store, it recognized you were at food lion and automatically applied your MVP card to your account and any digital coupons you had and the paid? How awesome would that be?? Forget your license? No problem, it's in your passbook. Bus pass? Metro pass? Subway pass? All in passbook and Can be renewed simply by renewing. No more rummaging through cash or waiting in ticket booth lines. Just renew the pass for however long right on the phone. Busch gardens or Disney pass? In passbook. THAT is the potential passbook could have. Will it be quick or easy? Probably not, lots of infrastructure is needed, but think of how awesome that all would be! And unlike a wallet, it could be password protected.

As far as Siri goes, when I first got my iPhone a few weeks ago I didn't think I would ever use it. I had a leaked jelly bean build of android on my old s2 and didn't really use it much and I liked it. While Siri may not sound as real, I feel like its so much easier to access and has a smarter understanding of what you ask. Also, on the iPhone I can just hold the center button regardless of what I'm doing or if phone is off, and access Siri. On older android phones there is a search button you can press when the phone is unlocked, but on newer phones , you have to go to google search app or widget to access it ( unless I'm missing something. Girlfriend has a Moro m and that's how we use it) now, what does need to happen for Siri Is default apps. This is important for iOS period, but especially Siri. I prefer google maps and would like Siri to use that for maps instead. I also prefer the less cluttered and familiar google chrome browser when searching. I'm sure there are other cases. Either way Siri is an awesome idea that I want to see continuing to grow!

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This feature less operating system is also why millions of users choose to jailbreak.

And personally, I hate the idea that I need an app to perform features.

Better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it available, in my opinion.

KaterinaM

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones became much more than just phones long ago. If a person needs just a calling function, it will buy a $15 phone and will be happy. Smartphones are designed for those who want to safe time and money doing tons of things on the go. So, what can be wrong in additional functions? Nothing...

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I made this complaint as well in android central about the S4. I was greeted with one answer that really stuck. "Its not bad to have a lot if features. Its bad to have minimal features and wish you had more. If you don't use the access you don't use it, but it is always a plus to at least have the option if ever needed.

Sent from a pure Google experience.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There’s no such thing as "too many features". Will every user use every feature? Definitely not. But more, and therefore, more choice is always a good thing. The key is not to necessarily buy the device with the most features, but rather, to buy the device with the most features that you will use (or could eventually see yourself using).

More options = more choice = a better overall market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh