Apple maps outperforms Google

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Apple's 3d maps are really pretty. But as far as accuracy as well as detail, they leave a lot to be desired outside of the major metro areas.

Applemaps has given me inaccurate information both verbally as well as visually on the majority of my local trips. It's a work in progress, and I suggest you use apple maps with caution, for your own safety.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
IPhone 5 Apple maps outperforms Google

The maps portion of the Apple Maps app is amazing. Easily beats Google. The problem is directions and POI. Google has billions of addresses, back roads, and POI. Apple Maps doesn't have many POI in its system yet. That's how Google wins for me.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple will get there with accuracy over time. Google Maps wasn't top notch when they began either

that being said, i use my native maps and turn-by-turn Mon-Fri and i have only had a couple of issues since the beginning. and i mean since 6.0 beta 1

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i'm sure everyone has their own experiences with the maps apps based on on where live and how they use it.

for me, Apple maps looks way nicer especially in the turn by turn navigation. flyover is cool too look at but doesn't serve a practical use like streetview. the dealbreaker for me is accuracy. Apple maps have way too many quirks and errors. i get that it's new but it's beyond just a program in infancy, it just has too many flaws to be mainstream right now. i know google maps has come a long way and now it's time for apple maps to do the same but google maps today is so good and apple already knew that. they should've put in the work necessary from day one to launch something on par or at close to that. now it'll be years before Apple maps is good enough for me to switch back to using primarily.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Location accuracy in Apple Maps sucks. Where I am, almost every POI built into the app is in the wrong location, by anywhere from a few doors away to several blocks. Addresses are a crap shoot as to whether they're on point or mis-located. I don't care how pretty it is, if it's not accurate, it's useless.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Accuracy is subjective to location, in Atlanta...it's flawless, driving outside of Atlanta (from the border of Tennessee to the border of Florida) it's still flawless.

When i visited Boston last Christmas, however, it was not as useful...in the metro area it was fine, but when we got closer to New Hampshire, it started acting wonky, giving us wrong directions or missing shorter routes. I don't specifically blame Apple maps for this though, because when we attempted to use the rental cars navigation system, it was also not flawless, and I'm guessing it has to do with the mapping and verification of routes in the area...if it's half assed done, you're going to get half assed performance, regardless of device.

Apple maps has been fantastic for me so far, so good in fact that when the google maps crazy went into over drive and the app was released for the iPhone earlier this year, I didn't even look at it...no reason to, I'd rather use my native app that works perfectly for me.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
In terms of system integration, I prefer Apple Maps but I too have had the problem multiple times where the address that I need is either marked a few feet or even on the wrong side of the road! The other day I messaged a friend an address of a local park. I used Google Maps to get there while she used Apple Maps. She called saying she was standing at the address that I had sent her and it was an empty warehouse!! I then went into Apple Maps, got my location and shared that with her. That turned out to be a different address than the one Google maps had for the park and in apple maps it was 2 miles north of where she was! Needless to say this was not an emergency but I can easily see how this can go downhill in a situation where accuracy is critical. For this, I have stopped using it altogether. I actually prefer Verizon's VZNav or use Google Maps as my backup.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...I too have had the problem multiple times where the address that I need is either marked a few feet or even on the wrong side of the road!
I've seen this on every stand-alone GPSr or app I've ever used - including VZ Nav & Google Maps. Nature of the beast. Not unique to Apple maps at all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In terms of system integration, I prefer Apple Maps but I too have had the problem multiple times where the address that I need is either marked a few feet or even on the wrong side of the road! The other day I messaged a friend an address of a local park. I used Google Maps to get there while she used Apple Maps. She called saying she was standing at the address that I had sent her and it was an empty warehouse!! I then went into Apple Maps, got my location and shared that with her. That turned out to be a different address than the one Google maps had for the park and in apple maps it was 2 miles north of where she was! Needless to say this was not an emergency but I can easily see how this can go downhill in a situation where accuracy is critical. For this, I have stopped using it altogether. I actually prefer Verizon's VZNav or use Google Maps as my backup.

I experienced a similar situation where I was looking for Airborne Trampoline Park to take my kids and I was using Google Maps to get there. Needless to say, Google gave me the wrong directions. I wasn't far from the location, but that is beside the point. It was wrong and I was surprised because Google Maps had always been regularly accurate for me. Anyway, I fired up Apple Maps and it directed me from my wrong location to the correct location. To be fair, Google Maps have also corrected mistakes made by Apple Maps in my regard. As other have stated, location is a big part of the inconsistencies.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
True. I'm in Houston, so don't know if other people from here are noticing the same issues. But I would sure love to have an option to provide feedback or the ability to submit a report from within the Maps app. I tried submitting it for this particular instance but I couldn't find a way to do so.

I know that the basic foundation of Apple Maps is good - it just needs better data and what better way than to use the million of IPhone users to help them!

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this on every stand-alone GPSr or app I've ever used - including VZ Nav & Google Maps. Nature of the beast. Not unique to Apple maps at all.

You know, I have had that issue with Google Maps but never with VZ Nav. I have used VZ Nav in NYC, Boston, VA, Phoenix, CA, OH, MI and WI and have not once had that issue. It has always got me to the correct place and location info has been 100%. What is canny is the traffic info that it uses to reroute. Just yesterday it prompted me to exit and take the Tollway - I did as I was told and sure enough, there was a traffic jam on the right side for the next 7 miles. Saved me a good 20 mins. Am curious if Apple Maps has or uses Traffic data?

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

When I first got my IPhone a couple months ago I decided to test the maps. I randomly asked it to find the nearest Radio Shack. No problem - it told me about the one about 3 miles away. Then I asked for driving directions. Imagine my surprise when it wanted to route me through Vermont ---- I live in Oregon! Needless to say, I haven't bothered to open the program again.

mclarensr

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I understand everyone's experience is different. Here is mine.

I have used iOS maps since it has been out. Have not used any other. I dont even have other maps installed on my phone. I live in the Cincinnati area and for majority of the time I have not had problems locally or when I have traveled out of town. Some of the places I have traveled to and used iOS map without a problem are (Louisville, KY - Hershey, PA - Cherry Hill, NJ - Trenton, NJ - Chicago, IL - Pittsburgh, PA - Cleveland, OH and Columbus, OH).

The occasional error of wrong side of the road or few feet away has happened with iOS and with Google maps when I was using them.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

You can report it. There should be a link to Report a Problem. I've done it a few times for a minor issue like when a road changed numbers.

They need to open it up to user location submissions. Reporting a problem is good; however, when 5 of 10 places I'm looking for aren't even in the database, there's an issue. Either open it up to submissions or partner up with others like Foursquare to expand the database.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Accuracy is subjective to location... but when we got closer to New Hampshire, it started acting wonky, giving us wrong directions or missing shorter routes. I don't specifically blame Apple maps for this though, because when we attempted to use the rental cars navigation system, it was also not flawless
Well, I live in New Hampshire... Google Maps is near flawless. My Garmin Nuvi is near flawless. My brother's TomTom is near flawless. Apple Maps, oh-so-very not-so-much. Also lacking I've found are most of the free Nav apps from the app store. The best I've found so far is Scout, but it's feature-lacking enough that it's useless to me.

Dudley228

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had one or two issues with Apple Maps. Even with those mistakes, I prefer Apple Maps over anything else. I use them all the time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I live in New Hampshire... Google Maps is near flawless. My Garmin Nuvi is near flawless. My brother's TomTom is near flawless. Apple Maps, oh-so-very not-so-much. Also lacking I've found are most of the free Nav apps from the app store. The best I've found so far is Scout, but it's feature-lacking enough that it's useless to me.

Subjective to location...i don't disagree with you, when we were navigating Portsmouth, Apple maps (and whatever system the rental car was using) were both inadequate. It's unfortunate because in Atlanta, it works amazingly, and it has a really nice interface.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR