My experience with apple customer service today.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I have a Mac mini 2007 that I was readying for sale. That included a wipe of the system. Well I deleted everything and to my own stupidity when I got to the set up screen I realized I haven't previously purchased the OS X Lion software my mac came with it pre installed. I call apple like suggested on every forum and google search since that's the only way to purchase lion now.

I get a nice apple rep who is willing to help but is kind of clueless as well. So he tell me I need a tech guy he's customer service. Proceeds to tell me I may be charged for the call?! Really for a customer service call? Nice way to extort customers in need. Anyhow they pretty much tell me there's no way to get the software. My issue isn't with customer service or their legal robbery.

He'll I was willing to pay for lion even though I'm not even going to use it I wiped it to sell it. My issue is why is it such an impossibility to purchase a software license I didn't even want a copy of the os I just needed it showing purchased on iTunes so it could install from the cloud WHY CAN'T I BUY SOFTWARE THAT WAS RECENTLY RELEASED.

Ok rant over I love apple products I love my mini but like every company there's flaws I should be able to purchase software it's not like I wanted windows 95

coldestsplash

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't think OSX Lion was even released in 2007, I think in 2007 snow leapord was released and used to come on DVD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OS X was released as follows:

Leopard 10/26/07
Snow Leopard 08/28/09
Lion 07/20/11
Mountain Lion 07/25/12

Why not simply restore the version than came with your Mac Mini (probably Leopard)?

With regard to being charged for a support call, all Macs come with one year of free customer/technical support and 90 days of phone support. If you had purchased Apple Care on your Mini, you would have received 2 years for both customer/tech support and telephone support,

That’s the way it’s been as long as I can recall.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Yea 2011 is pretty recent again it's not like I was asking for some really old software. I'm pretty new to apple products so I was a bit shocked when I was told I would be charged for a phone call. Since i have gotten free over the phone troubleshooting customer service on any product I've ever used ever until it went beyond just the call or required a purchase.

The mini was used so I don't have any software disks with it.