What is the future of game console?

springning

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
With computers becoming cheaper and faster at an exponential rate and smartphones/tablets eating into the market of gaming consoles, will they die a slow death or will they reinvent themselves to stay relevant in the future?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good question. It is true that smartphone gaming has increased a great deal, but until multi-player options improve, I think game consoles will still be preferred to a good deal of the population.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the future of gaming consoles is great. They offer so much more than just gaming (family interaction, DVD, Music CD, Streaming movies ect.). I expect them to be around for quite some time.....IMHO

Last edited:

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Gaming consoles are here for the foreseeable future. And you can also tell this by addition of the PlayStation Vita TV. What we will see however is a convergence.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Based on support alone, mobile platforms are no match. There are still more developers on consoles than anywhere else, and those who develop multiplatform titles often have a console version. The developer network is far more established.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Consoles don't have much to worry about. All the best games come out for consoles, while those vastly "superior" PCs get crappy ports.

Sent from my Death Note powered by iOS

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Tablets and Phones can't come close to competing with the consoles.... In terms of gameplay, graphics and speed there's just no way....... Yet

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I understand that heavy gamers prefer game consoles, but I would never buy another gaming console again. There really is no point in it for me. I like to play games, but I play games on my iPad or iPhone and they do just fine. I would rather play games on my iPad that I want to have anyway for other uses and pay a dollar to $7 for a game and be able to play the game anywhere I take my iPad than to pay for a console that I will only use for gaming and then $50 per game and be limited to playing the game in my living room. Regarding the handheld gaming consoles, I don't really see much difference between those and using an iPod touch. I know that I'm in the minority here, but I am very happy that I don't need a gaming console to fulfill my gaming needs anymore.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

applemaximus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have not bought a new gaming console since the Xbox260, now I game on my iPadAir and iPhone.

BUT.... I now have very young kids and not so much ability to commandeer the TV to myself.
Once the littlies are bigger I think a home console for two player gaming, and also for better graphics will be on the cards.

No reason not have tablets - phones - and consoles together.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People who don't heavily play games on consoles are usually the only ones that are curious whether consoles have a future.

Consoles are doing just fine...the thing most people tend to forget is that console games suffer from the age old "early adoption" slow start. Every system since the Dreamcast has, and it's primarily because people want to wait until there are significant software releases before they invest in a console, and consoles tend to come down in price by the point the bulk of the sales wave hits.

Computers are easily capable of out performing consoles in the basic way games are developed. PC's will not begin truly taking over the console gaming market until they are integrated into TV's, and we're still some time away from that...and by then, I think the clear line between a console and a PC will be much less clear.

Tranquilly

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Not too sure, I think game consoles will eventually die out in the future? I think everything is just going to eventually revolve around PC when it comes to gaming.

jacyooii

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I think game consoles will still be around in the future without too many changes.
There are still quiet a lot of people don't play games in PC and rather choose to play games in game consoles.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I think with the recent success of the PS4, one would not question the direction in which they are heading in. I personally could not game on a PC when there are console systems available. Much too easy to just pick up and play with little hassle.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
People who don't heavily play games on consoles are usually the only ones that are curious whether consoles have a future.

Consoles are doing just fine...the thing most people tend to forget is that console games suffer from the age old "early adoption" slow start. Every system since the Dreamcast has, and it's primarily because people want to wait until there are significant software releases before they invest in a console, and consoles tend to come down in price by the point the bulk of the sales wave hits.

Computers are easily capable of out performing consoles in the basic way games are developed. PC's will not begin truly taking over the console gaming market until they are integrated into TV's, and we're still some time away from that...and by then, I think the clear line between a console and a PC will be much less clear.

This^^^

Game consoles are fine. I didn't run out an buy an Xbox One last year because there really weren't any games I wanted to play. I had Diablo 3 on PC and GTA5 on my Xbox 360 to keep me plenty entertained. I got an Xbox One last week specifically for Destiny; I'm a huge Halo/Bungie fan. I am really enjoying the Xbox One.

I don't really play games on my pocket computers. I prefer my games on my big TV or PC screen.

chendofs

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I think consoles had and should continue to have a solid future. Just take a look at PS4, XBOX1, Nitendo (not so sure about this one but there is always room for 3rd place). Big name developers make tons of money here, and I have read news about opening more to indy developers so future should be good. The portable gaming devices PSvita, Nitendo DS, etc ... I wouldnt buy those. An iPhone, iPad and the iPod provide so much more in my point of view.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice