Should Apple buy PlayStation from Sony?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll play along... NO! They shouldn't. Apple doesn't need to take that on. PlayStation is more open than Apple is. Whether it's a good or a bad thing, that's up for debate.

Should they already build their own gaming console? They already have... iOS products!

The playstation isn't more "open" than Apple...that doesn't even really make sense to be honest because you're comparing a product with a company. If we're talking iOS devices vs. the playstation though, the same holds true...the Playstation isn't an open product at all really. There are certain things you can do if you really get into hacking into the core build of it, but at that point, you've LONG voided the warranty, you're setting yourself up for permanent online bans from the gaming network servers (if caught), and many of the modifications can cause system faults that can leave you with a brick.

The iPhone, on the other hand, can be jailbroken without voiding the warranty...can be customized and set to do various things through jailbreak processes and applications...and if something goes wrong, 95% of the time the iPhone can be restored back to factory defaults to start all over again fresh.

So in reality, the iPhone (and other iOS devices) are a bit more "open" than the Playstation...but neither of them really fit the definition in my opinion.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Gaming seems to be going this way

Not really...from what I read on this pretty regularly, the only major "dent" that the console gaming industry has seen is a major drop in physical gaming revenue since most people just download everything now directly to the system vs. buying the hard disc. Major title sales numbers are still averaging as good or better than they have in the past...the systems are still selling quite well (with Sony on top of the console sales market for the time being), and online subscriptions and DLC's are the highest they've ever been.

With Steam releasing a console this fall, that number will tick up exponentially.

These will definitely NOT be the last of the consoles. That's just a simple fact.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really...from what I read on this pretty regularly, the only major "dent" that the console gaming industry has seen is a major drop in physical gaming revenue since most people just download everything now directly to the system vs. buying the hard disc. Major title sales numbers are still averaging as good or better than they have in the past...the systems are still selling quite well (with Sony on top of the console sales market for the time being), and online subscriptions and DLC's are the highest they've ever been.

With Steam releasing a console this fall, that number will tick up exponentially.

These will definitely NOT be the last of the consoles. That's just a simple fact.

What game are you playing now

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

On console? A few actually...

- Forza 6
- Until Dawn (I've beat it once but feel I can get a better ending with some different choices, so playing through again)
- Battlefront has been awesome (even though it's just a Beta)

...and going to fire up Halo 5 next week when it launches.

Irvine08

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site

Which is why PlayStation are now increasing exclusive games only for them though they're still currently really few for now due to competitive companies such as XBox, Steam, and Nintendo. I wonder if someone will still be able to jailbreak PS4 though.

Irvine08

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site

That's why Sony will be increasing games that are only exclusive for PS4 but currently very few due to competitors such as Steam, Xbox, and Nintendo. I'm wondering though if people will still be able to jailbreak PS4.

bzeroh56

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the majority of the demographic that buys apple products are into console gaming, so in that way it would be a bad choice for apple. Also, I've read that apple doesn't really care too much about gaming, they never intended for the app store to get so big with games.

But i've always wondered, could apple make gaming cool / more mainstream? Ha I wish they would then we wouldn't have to deal with so many bad games and games getting canceled etc.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The PlayStation brand is a major cash cow for Sony at the moment. Not sure why anyone would think they would sell it to anyone.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I would hate to see Apple buying PS division and starting to ask 1000+ price for gaming consoles. Then Microsoft would follow it. Then Nintendo. Then I wouldn't be able to buy game consoles anymore...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I would hate to see Apple buying PS division and starting to ask 1000+ price for gaming consoles. Then Microsoft would follow it. Then Nintendo. Then I wouldn't be able to buy game consoles anymore...

Actually Nintendo and Micro$oft would clean up as their devices would be half of the Apple Play Station.