Facebook Login Issues

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I’ll try to keep this short. Had setup two factor authentication for FB, a month or so later I forgot I had done this and found my number in Facebook so I deleted the number.

Did a reset on my phone, had to re-login to FB and not getting the SMS code (since I had removed my phone number).

Attempted to reach out to Facebook and follow their recovery steps. One option is to upload a photo of your ID (which I did, in retrospect not the smartest but I blacked out everything with markup on my phone except name and photo) and I did get an email back from them - one saying my ID didn’t upload so I resent the picture and others (again I submitted multiple times since I didn’t hear anything) and those gave me one time passwords which I hand typed and did work. To me that seems legitimate (especially since I initiated).

My questions:

Anyone dealt with this and actually gotten back into their account?

The emails come from @support.facebook.com which from their site is a legitimate domain but I still don’t like it. They are plain text with no Facebook letterhead but my understanding is that the domain name of an email is a good sign of its legitimacy. Thoughts?

I’m assuming the risk is pretty minimal with the ID being sent because it’s just name and a photo - one could get that with a google search. I don’t like putting any more info out than necessary but I like having Facebook to stay in contact with people.

Thanks

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Agreed, letterhead can be easily faked. It was just interesting as other real emails from Facebook have a letterhead and these don’t. But apparently the email domain is real (and that I can see from the actual address it was sent from and not the header).

The header will always show the real email address. Anyone can spoof the From field to show any email address they want. I merely shared it with you so that you can view the headers and verify the legitimacy of the email source.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
The header will always show the real email address. Anyone can spoof the From field to show any email address they want. I merely shared it with you so that you can view the headers and verify the legitimacy of the email source.

I just checked the full header and it shows the @support.facebook.com so I think it should be legit.

When you say people can spoof the from field, if I tap on the email and the “from” on my iPhone where it brings up the full address, this can be spoofed or is that coming from the read header?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I just checked the full header and it shows the @support.facebook.com so I think it should be legit.

When you say people can spoof the from field, if I tap on the email and the “from” on my iPhone where it brings up the full address, this can be spoofed or is that coming from the read header?

Any part of it can be spoofed, with the exception of the received from (the header area where it looks like a bunch of goblety gook code). You have to find the originating IP address and then trace that. Read a few of those articles for a better explanation.

I use to have a nice tutorial for my web hosting clients in their cPanels, but I lost my writeup sometime after I retired from the business.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
It looks like @support.facebook.com is a legitimate email domain from Facebook and it does look like from viewing the header that it did come from this address (before the @ it looks like a case number/code) and the domain it says is Facebook.com.

Anyone else that has experience with this or can tell me if this is legitimate?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2