Problem with TB display

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi - this is a long shot, but I'll give this question a try in case anyone has run into something similar.

I have a 2012 TB display (same as the current model.) It has stopped working with my MBP - basically, I plug in the display in a TB port. The MBP screen reconfigures as if there is a second monitor, but the monitor does not turn on.

This has been progressive - the display used to work for a while, then turn off. Now it won't display at all.

I know the problem is the monitor, since I use the same MBP with a TB display at work.

It is not under warranty, and I can't find anyone who is willing to service it. So I'm looking for ideas on how to diagnose what the problem is, or how to fix it. My gut feel (without real evidence) is that it's something simple, like the TB cable has become damaged.

Any ideas? Thanks :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's quite possible that the cable has become defective, but I can't say for certain. Have you tried switching it out?

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It's quite possible that the cable has become defective, but I can't say for certain. Have you tried switching it out?

Thanks for answering.

Did some more googling, and it looks like it's possible to drive the monitor using the TB port on the back, so I have ordered a TB cable and will give it a try.

(The original cable is replaceable, but requires significant disassembly.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answering.

Did some more googling, and it looks like it's possible to drive the monitor using the TB port on the back, so I have ordered a TB cable and will give it a try.

(The original cable is replaceable, but requires significant disassembly.)

Oh okay. Thanks, and let us know how it turns out when the new cable has arrived....:)

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Just following up in case someone else stumbles on this thread later.

I got the new TB cable. I connected it to the MBP and the TB display worked. Plugging it in triggered the installation of the Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update v1.2 - which I had already installed. After this, it worked using the TB cable built-in to the TB display.

So problem solved, almost. The display still cuts out occasionally, but much less frequently than before. When this happens, unplugging it and plugging it back in appears to work.

So I don't really have any idea what the source of the problem is. Perhaps a loose connection of the TB cable combined with a problem with the firmware upgrade? In any case, plugging in a different cable seemed to help in triggering the firmware upgrade correctly.

NoelQuinn

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I bought my TB display 2nd hand for a price that was just too good. It started to run very hot so I put a fan on it, it helped a little. Then I found the 1.2 firm ware upgrade and installed it and the internal fan came to life and it worked perfectly. So far so good. A few days ago I upgraded to El Capitan and the fan stopped working again. Apple support is clueless about it. SO my question is is it possible to rollback the firmware update and re install? As it is I can't use the 1.2 firmware update because it won't run under El Capitan.
I am going to try using the external ports with a seperate cable. I have an idea your problem might have been caused by excess heat. Did your display get hot?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR