Does anyone out there use the Extreme with Fios (triple play)?

How easy is it to replace the router they gave us five years ago and replace it with the Extreme?

We have a 1500 sq ft house with an assortment of televisions, PC computers, Hp network and wireless printers and Apple iPads. Any potential problems with this variety of equipment?
    12-15-2013 02:43 PM
    No need to replace the FIOS router - just use the AirPort in addition to the FIOS device. They can coexist.
    12-15-2013 02:47 PM
    And how do make them work together?
    12-15-2013 02:50 PM
    Plug it into your FIOS device as you would a computer via ethernet, and set up the Airport in bridge mode.
    12-15-2013 02:54 PM
    Appreciate your help, but this is not my field of expertise.

Can you elaborate on Bridge mode?

Also, if I am still hooked into the old router, how does the Extreme benefit me? My current wifi speed is slow even though I pay for a faster level. Currently, when we have a power outage, our computers and printers have to be reset to reconnect to wifi - a big hassle.
    12-15-2013 03:07 PM
    Go here: Apple - Support - Manuals - select the model Airport you have or are considering... and review the manual.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    12-15-2013 03:21 PM
    If you are paying for fast wifi and you get slow wifi that means one of two things. Either it's caused by many devices connected at once or Verizon is giving you slow wifi. I would call them to get this situation with the wifi speed resolved.
    12-15-2013 03:21 PM
    Bridge mode should be obvious in the Airport utility that you use to set it up. I have FIOS and I do just what was suggested above. The verizon supplied router is connected to the FIOS service and I have a couple of computers plugged into it. Then the AirPort Extreme is plugged in just like a computer and set to bridge mode so that the AirPort Extreme supplies the wifi. The AirPort Extreme still supplies value in this case because the verizon router tops out at wireless g speeds (I think that is 54mbps) with fewer simultaneous wifi connections and the new airport extremes I think supports wireless ac standard which is not only much faster but it has multiple antenna that can support more devices at the same time.
    kch50428 and iOS Gravity like this.
    12-15-2013 03:54 PM
    We have called Verizon techs and they tell u we need to be hard wired to get the faster speed, even though we have a wireless router.

I thought is we got a higher capacity wireless router, like the Extreme, we would get faster wifi.
    12-15-2013 03:54 PM
    We have called Verizon techs and they tell u we need to be hard wired to get the faster speed, even though we have a wireless router.

I thought is we got a higher capacity wireless router, like the Extreme, we would get faster wifi.
    You will get faster speed. Your FIOS speed is fine but the wifi speed that that router supports doesn't get anywhere close to the raw speed the router supports. That's still the case even with the AirPort Extreme but it will use more of your available raw bandwidth and support more devices connecting at the same time . A wired connection will always be faster than wifi (at least in normal conditions and the foreseeable future).
    12-15-2013 04:01 PM