Has anyone tried out the USB SuperDrive?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to get a new MacBook and they don't come with the DVD drives installed anymore. Does anyone have any experience with the Apple SuperDrive? Are they worth the $80 or would a generic external DVD drive be just as good?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get a new MacBook and they don't come with the DVD drives installed anymore. Does anyone have any experience with the Apple SuperDrive? Are they worth the $80 or would a generic external DVD drive be just as good?

They look nice, and generally match the look of the MacBook Pro... but IMHO, it’s grossly overpriced. Pick up a generic drive for $30 or so and pocket the difference.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting a MacBook (Don't make anymore) or do you mean a Pro. The Pro I looked at this past weekend which has the SATA drives do come with a built tin CD/DVD drive on the right side. It is one reason that is steering me in that direction.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I also have one and it works just fine. I am sure a cheaper one would work just as well, but I am a bit OCD and needed the apple one to go with my iMac. Plus I like how it matches.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Are you getting a MacBook (Don't make anymore) or do you mean a Pro. The Pro I looked at this past weekend which has the SATA drives do come with a built tin CD/DVD drive on the right side. It is one reason that is steering me in that direction.

The Pro's with Retina display and the Air both have eschewed the optical drive to decrease thickness. Same with the iMac. The only product that is current and still features the optical drive is the MacBook Pro standard resolution in both 13 and 15".

That said, I'm looking to go retina on my next purchase so I would be without the optical drive and I have tons of CDs and DVDs I still want to use.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The Pro's with Retina display and the Air both have eschewed the optical drive to decrease thickness. Same with the iMac. The only product that is current and still features the optical drive is the MacBook Pro standard resolution in both 13 and 15".

That said, I'm looking to go retina on my next purchase so I would be without the optical drive and I have tons of CDs and DVDs I still want to use.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I totally understand and that was what I was saying in my previous post. I am looking at the MacBook Pro Standard 13" w/ 500 GB drive so it would have the CD/DVD drive in it. Sorry if I did not make myself clear on what i was talking about.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I also have one and it works just fine. I am sure a cheaper one would work just as well, but I am a bit OCD and needed the apple one to go with my iMac. Plus I like how it matches.

This, for sure. Same with me.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk 2

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Since I don't use one very often at all, I got a regular old Samsung drive for ?20. Works just fine. The SuperDrive looks nicer, but for me it was dead money because I just don't use a DVD drive anymore on a regular basis.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Got the Superdrive. It's a little funny -- no hardware eject button, so you rely on software and/or keyboard eject buttons.

Now regretting the purchase a bit, as I'd've liked Blu-Ray functionality as well for twenty extra bucks. ON THE OTHER HAND, if the Blu-Ray - compatible drives required separate power sources, prefer the simplicity of the SuperDrive....

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
One benefit the SuperDrive has for us is seamless plug and play with all Macs in the house. No worrying about drivers or power source. While the cost is relatively higher than other options, quality is another benefit. In the past I've spent more time troubleshooting low cost external drives than I think it was worth.

I do agree with the trend noted by others here. We use the SuperDrive less and less due to AirDrop, NAS server, and native File Sharing - and of course more online content that used to be consumable primarily by DVD.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2