AirPort Extreme Crashes Constantly

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I realize this may not be the best place for this thread but the Mac Hardware is the closes applicable category to my problem.

Anyway- I bought an AirPort Extreme about 1 month ago along with a new Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Our ISP is Comcast.

Everyday, many times per day, the AirPort will crash without rhyme or reason. The green light stays illuminated but there's no wifi signal being broadcast. I've done some research into this problem (it seems to be common) and some suggested using iStumbler to search for other wifi networks possibly interfering. I changed the channel selection from "automatic" to a set channel for both 5GHz and 2GHz frequencies and there were no other networks on those channels. Nothing has changed. I reset it this morning and within 2 minutes it crashed again. There was nothing in the house that would've been using any huge amount of data. There were 2 iPhones and a PC desktop that were on but were idle.

I spent the extra money for the AirPort because of its additional features but am regretting my purchase to date. Any tips for me to try? I'm thinking next time it goes down, I'll plug the CAT5 cable from the modem directly to my Mini or PS3 to confirm a problem with the router itself and not the modem. But most every time the Extreme goes down, I unplug the power cord and plug it back in and the problem is solved (for the time being). I rarely reset the modem which leads me to believe it's a router problem.

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have enabled encryption, disable it temporarily and make sure you aren't sharing anything. Surf the internet for a while without logging in to websites to see if your AirPort Extreme crashes, as you've stated. If it does not, enable encryption using TKIP first and test it out for about 10 minutes. If it doesn't crash, increase the encryption to WPA2 (AES). Make sure the wireless devices that are attached to it can support whatever encryption you have your access point set to.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If you have enabled encryption, disable it temporarily and make sure you aren't sharing anything. Surf the internet for a while without logging in to websites to see if your AirPort Extreme crashes, as you've stated. If it does not, enable encryption using TKIP first and test it out for about 10 minutes. If it doesn't crash, increase the encryption to WPA2 (AES). Make sure the wireless devices that are attached to it can support whatever encryption you have your access point set to.

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a shot. I'd imagine everything I have in the house can handle any type of encryption (Mac Mini, iPad 2, Apple TV2, PS3, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and a desktop PC), right?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They should, especially if they're somewhat new. Also, don't hesitate to reboot your cable modem and re-check your software firewall, if applicable, to make sure internet access isn't being blocked wirelessly.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How would I do that? In Mountain Lion?

If you haven't made any significant changes to your Mac/MacBook via the system preferences then disregard. I was thinking you had a Windows PC for some reason. As for rebooting your cable modem, simply unplug it, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No I haven't touched much in the system preferences on the Mini. There's also a desktop PC in the house but that's just connected via a USB adapter.

iNotes4You

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I am using three APEs in completely different environments (provider, connection, modem) always using WPA2.
My suggestion is to request for a new device.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't sat down to change the encryption on the Extreme just yet but I have noticed one thing in the meantime. The Extreme seems to stay up, without any problems, whenever my roommate is not home or is not using his PC. Whenever he uses his PC the Extreme seems to go down. I left for the night last night and the Extreme had been running for a couple days without issue. I got home this morning and sure enough the Extreme was down. I had to reset it twice as it kept crashing- all while my roommate's PC was on in his room. Is it possible that something with his PC is affecting it? Or is it just some weird coincidence?

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an update to my post yesterday.

Last night, I was laying in bed streaming Netflix through my Apple TV. Sure enough, the wireless went down. I went to my roommate and asked him, "Did you just turn on your computer?" and he had. So it seems the second he tried to get online with his, our network went down. We reset it, I streamed for a few more minutes when it went down again. He reset it twice but I just gave up on my TV watching. So it has to be something with his computer. Earlier in the night we had been playing PS3 without issue, we had wifi on our phones, I set up a new Apple TV, etc.

I understand this is an Apple-based forum but I'm hoping someone has some familiarity which may help me.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the roommate's computer is trying to connect to AirPort using a fixed IP address that's already in use - you're going to have issues.

Make sure the roommate's computer is set to get an IP address dynamically from the AirPort... and make sure the AirPort is configured to be able to supply enough IP addresses to cover the total number of devices you intend to have connected to the AirPort at the same time.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Keith.

Do you know how I can check to see if his computer is configured for a fixed IP address? How do I check to see if the AirPort is supplying enough IP addresses?

At his last residence, he resolved the problem by hard wiring into the router. He intends on doing that this time if he can get a CAT5 cable long enough but I'd also like to solve the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2