Why must I have to adjust instead of advertisers?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Simply buying a game to play on my smartphone isn’t as fun for “me” as it used to be because of all the embedded ads. It’s bad enough that I have to endure them while watching TV and while waiting for a movie to begin at a theatre. I’ve said before that advertisers are the worst when it comes to respecting one’s choices. Any attempt by people to have an option to view ads or not is quickly defeated. Instead of them finding better way to advertise, they simply make watching ads a part of a service or an app. Why must I have to adjust to their wishes instead of them having to adjust to mine? Oh, and I don’t want to hear that crap about taking food from their table....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Simply buying a game to play on my smartphone isn’t as fun for “me” as it used to be because of all the embedded ads. It’s bad enough that I have to endure them while watching TV and while waiting for a movie to begin at a theatre. I’ve said before that advertisers are the worst when it comes to respecting one’s choices. Any attempt by people to have an option to view ads or not is quickly defeated. Instead of them finding better way to advertise, they simply make watching ads a part of a service or an app. Why must I have to adjust to their wishes instead of them having to adjust to mine? Oh, and I don’t want to hear that crap about taking food from their table....

Thats what happens when you want "free"

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I’m the same way.
As for commercials, I don’t even watch TV anymore because of them. Instead I download the show from TPB. I lived in Europe a few times and one thing I like about how they do their TV shows are you have the show and then the commercials. It’s not like here where the show is broken up into five or six segments per episode with commercials in between segments.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is if devs get rid of ads we’ll have to start paying for apps we might not even end up liking. I’d rather be given the chance to download an ad-supported app and try it out before shelling out money.

I really appreciate when ad-supported apps give me the option to get rid of the ads with an IAP. It would be great if Apple started mandating this option.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is if devs get rid of ads we’ll have to start paying for apps we might not even end up liking. I’d rather be given the chance to download an ad-supported app and try it out before shelling out money.

I really appreciate when ad-supported apps give me the option to get rid of the ads with an IAP. It would be great if Apple started mandating this option.

As stated above, I’ll quickly pay for an ad-free app, but my problem is not having the option.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
As stated above, I’ll quickly pay for an ad-free app, but my problem is not having the option.

I totally agree. Developers get revenue from one of two places. Directly from the consumer or through selling advertising. They should set the price of getting rid of ads so that they make money either way. If a consumer still isn't happy then they shouldn't use the app. I know I won't use an app if the ads are obnoxious and I don't have a reasonable choice to pay to get rid of them. That's the only way to speak out against it clearly. Don't use the app.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Industry is moving towards the proliferation of rewarded video ads. As the name suggests, with these types of ads you would receive some sort of in-game benefit as a reward for your time. Still free, and much better than rewardless pop-ups

I’ll take a pop-up ad any day over having to stop playing my game every few minutes to watch 30 second videos of the same two or three games that I’ll likely never play.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

This! Payment options to get rid of that annoying ads should be mandatory. I too have some apps that I really appreciate, but can't use because the ads are the worst possible and I can't pay to stop it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Industry is moving towards the proliferation of rewarded video ads. As the name suggests, with these types of ads you would receive some sort of in-game benefit as a reward for your time. Still free, and much better than rewardless pop-ups

That is still an ad to me. What is so difficult about giving customers the option to view or not view ads? Then again, I’m sure I’m not part of the target market they are focusing on. Still, what irks me the most is the all out effort to snuff out any attempt by customers to not view ads. I find that totally disrespectful, and make no mistake about it, even iMore has lost viewers because of some nuisance ads, in my opinion. I gladly paid Tapatalk years back to not see ads and, to me, it was money well spent.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That is still an ad to me. What is so difficult about giving customers the option to view or not view ads? Then again, I’m sure I’m not part of the target market they are focusing on. Still, what irks me the most is the all out effort to snuff out any attempt by customers to not view ads. I find that totally disrespectful, and make no mistake about it, even iMore has lost viewers because of some nuisance ads, in my opinion. I gladly paid Tapatalk years back to not see ads and, to me, it was money well spent.

This. I’ll pay $0.99 to just about anyone to not see ads. I see why developers do it though. They need to make a living too, and I’m sure the revenue they get from offering ad-supported freeware is greater compared to charging for apps upfront.
The option to turn off ads as an in-app purchase is still the ultimate option for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This. I’ll pay $0.99 to just about anyone to not see ads. I see why developers do it though. They need to make a living too, and I’m sure the revenue they get from offering ad-supported freeware is greater compared to charging for apps upfront.
The option to turn off ads as an in-app purchase is still the ultimate option for me.

Yeah, just give customers the option. Then again, advertisers know that if given the option, an overwhelming majority would probably choose not to view ads. Heck, I’d even compromise a bit. Show ads in the manner it has always been shown on TV and typical radio broadcasts. Show a limited and on web sites, but for the love of the Most High, keep ads out of app and games on my smart devices. I’d love to be able to enjoy some form of entertainment on my devices without that enjoyment being ruined by ads. Is that asked by too much?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it is great to have the option to pay to remove ads or have the free version with ads. But what about the developers who sunk their time + up to thousands of or even tens of thousands of dollars to make the apps and games we enjoy. Developers are trying to make a living from their trade, first and foremost.

I understand that, but that doesn’t mean they have the right to force me see what they are offering. That should be my choice! In no way am I trying to prevent them from eating, but I am trying to prevent them from forcing their will on me. Offer the ads, but let me choose to view them or not.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried one of the adblockers that block system wide? The one I am using does a good job blocking for most apps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried one of the adblockers that block system wide? The one I am using does a good job blocking for most apps.

I use adblock mobile. It works really well. But there's still ads it can't block. Mostly in Safari. Those that pop up from the side or bottom. The blocker apps just haven't figured out how to block those. I disabled the app just to see what would happen. It didn't take long for me to enable it back. LOL I had forgotten how many ads showed everywhere. Some sites have it rigged where if you're blocking, the site doesn't load, not only in Safari, but in the Facebook browser too.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My VPN does an excellent job at blocking ads, but not all of them. Still, the option to view or navigate not view ads should be native to each app, in my opinion.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My VPN does an excellent job at blocking ads, but not all of them. Still, the option to view or navigate not view ads should be native to each app, in my opinion.

Some ads I don't mind, like banner ads at the top or bottom in an app. But if they're intrusive and in your face, that should stop.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it is great to have the option to pay to remove ads or have the free version with ads. But what about the developers who sunk their time + up to thousands of or even tens of thousands of dollars to make the apps and games we enjoy. Developers are trying to make a living from their trade, first and foremost.

I agree. The devs aren't really forcing anything on anyone. We all have a choice whether or not we use the app they are offering. If we don't like how they are operating, we have the choice to use something else. That said, the iMore ads are insane sometimes. I use ad-blockers. I purchase the "remove ad" option in any app that offers it. For those that don't, if I like the app enough I deal with it. Developers don't really owe us anything other than the app of which we willingly download from them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox